Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

First Stillen SC A-A Upgrade Kit - G37xs

Old 11-03-2016, 02:56 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
This would be totally safe if you put a wastegate on the charge pipe and start with a safe amount of boost. Like get a 10psi wastegate, and tighten from there. Just make sure you have enough fuel, and don't forget that you can play with plug gap/colder plugs as well. I think this is a great approach and a great way to get a lot of boost down low. Personally, I'd just set the wastegate to open at 11psi, and enjoy the huge bottom end torque curve.
Corvettes actually do this with a wastegate or a restrictor plate. You actually are able to match your tq to your hp like a turbo, which is very interesting.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:14 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by milkcow500
I can assure you that this is much more than an impeller upgrade haha. The 370z's are seeing around 13psi on the Si impeller.

I know thats what I was seeing, then cyl 3 took a vacation :/
Old 11-03-2016, 11:37 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I know thats what I was seeing, then cyl 3 took a vacation :/
Yeah that sucks. Too bad EcuTek support wasn't that existent back then. You probably would have been still running to this day.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:31 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Corvettes actually do this with a wastegate or a restrictor plate. You actually are able to match your tq to your hp like a turbo, which is very interesting.
Yup, turbo torque curve, but with no turbo lag!
Old 11-11-2016, 02:48 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

So here's an update:

The blower is in and it's pushing a decent amount of air. On first startup, I can already tell the blower is much louder. It also now has the high pitch whistle, which superchargers are known to have in general. I like it, but I can see how people could see it as annoying.

When I get in my car, my whole cabin was violently shaking. My first thought was pretty much "Oh no, I done messed up." I checked all the bolts and any sort of clearance issues, but everything looked fine. Whenever I go into reverse, it feels like a damn earthquake.

When I get on the throttle, all the vibration goes away and it drives normally. I assumed that this was some weird break-in period, so I drove on it, while carefully watching my AFRs. AFRs were perfectly normal at cruising and only noticed the car running a bit rich in the 10s when going into boost.

I sent logs to Seb and he gave me an updated tune. Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out where the hell all this vibration is coming from. I've driven on it for about 300 miles now and it's calmed down a considerable amount. I only notice it at startups and sometimes when I go in reverse now. It's really a hit or miss, but it's for most of the part gone after the car is warmed up.

I ran my first 3rd gear WOT runs the other day and it looks like everything is fine until 7k rpms. It starts fluttering/sputtering and sounds like I'm bouncing off the rev limiter. Sebastian is telling me this may be a spark plug issue, so I'm going to have to put the tune on hold until I resolve this issue this weekend.

As for the big question about boost levels, I only saw around 10psi max so far.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:17 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder why you're only seeing 10 psi. If it's sputtering at the same psi, have you checked under positive pressure for a boost leak? This happens on turbo cars, where they have a coupler or a fitting that only leaks when there is boost coming through it, so it doesn't show a leak on a conventional smoke test. Possibly as simple as needing a stiffer spring in the BOV/BPV.

Or possibly a pulley/belt that slips at that high of an rpm? So maybe you lose boost, and are going crazy rich, causing the sputtering?

Just some thoughts, I'm very interested in this project. Thanks for the update!
Old 11-11-2016, 03:32 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm not too sure because this blower is obviously pushing a lot more air. As for leaks, I have no clue. I'd have to ask around in regards to that, but all my couplers were tight last I checked. BOV should be fine because it's the TiAL.

I've been watching the boost gauge and it doesn't look like slip at all. It's a consistent climb in psi, which is very perplexing. I actually think I figured out the sputtering issue. I sent more logs to Sebastian just now for him to confirm.

I noticed that the head of my K&N vent filter completely melted off. I replaced this. I also noticed that the two ground screws that are near the supercharger were very rusty. I had to remove these in order to get more clearance when swapping the blower. I got a couple new bolts are swapped them as well.

I know I should get an extra 2psi or so when I do the rest of the pulleys, but I really expected a lot more boost from what I'm hearing over on the corvette forums. Le shrug.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:35 PM
BHunts

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I'm not too sure because this blower is obviously pushing a lot more air. As for leaks, I have no clue. I'd have to ask around in regards to that, but all my couplers were tight last I checked. BOV should be fine because it's the TiAL.

I've been watching the boost gauge and it doesn't look like slip at all. It's a consistent climb in psi, which is very perplexing. I actually think I figured out the sputtering issue. I sent more logs to Sebastian just now for him to confirm.

I noticed that the head of my K&N vent filter completely melted off. I replaced this. I also noticed that the two ground screws that are near the supercharger were very rusty. I had to remove these in order to get more clearance when swapping the blower. I got a couple new bolts are swapped them as well.

I know I should get an extra 2psi or so when I do the rest of the pulleys, but I really expected a lot more boost from what I'm hearing over on the corvette forums. Le shrug.
Hey there milkcow500! I am looking at upgrading my blower to the T trim impeller also. Probably going to send it away in the next week or so. I am wondering if you have figured out your boost issue. If you are only getting 10psi then obviously it doesn't make sense to do this but I too want the high torque curve. You haven't updated in a couple months so let us know whats going on bud!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Sorry I've been a bit busy and my build is currently on hold. I'm at around 8k miles on the new blower now and it's running awesome.

I'm still a bit confused on why my boost seems so low, but this is what I'm guessing: I'm assuming that our low displacement is the reason why I'm not getting a huge jump in boost. I know I had a jump in power because my butt dyno tells me so, but my boost only jumped by another psi or so over the SCI trim.

With the 9psi pulley, we are maxing out the blower's speed. Since corvettes have much more displacement, they can reach our boost level with larger pulleys, which gmeans they have more room to run small pulleys and push higher boost numbers. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but that's pretty much what's going on. I'm hearing the Si may kick in a bit lower than the Ti though, so you may want to look into that. What you can do is have the high speed bearings installed when swapping over to the T-trim. This will let you overspin the blower with some more ease of mind. I'm trying to avoid doing that in terms of reliability.

I will be working on some aesthetics, which is why my build is currently on hold. Once the pulleys are in, I will be doing my flex fuel tune and have some numbers on a mustang dyno.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Topgunz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did you perform the leak test?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 PM
Topgunz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BHunts
Hey there milkcow500! I am looking at upgrading my blower to the T trim impeller also. Probably going to send it away in the next week or so. I am wondering if you have figured out your boost issue. If you are only getting 10psi then obviously it doesn't make sense to do this but I too want the high torque curve. You haven't updated in a couple months so let us know whats going on bud!
Are you doing this with the 9 psi pulley and the water system?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:36 PM
BHunts

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Topgunz
Are you doing this with the 9 psi pulley and the water system?
Yes TopgunZ. I am looking to do this with the water system. I am modding the Stillen kit to be more reliable to allow for this. I talked to you breifly about it a little while ago. I actually bought your E85 sensor setup off you as well. I know your A/A is proven and reliable and like I mentioned to you before if this doesn't work out they way I would like then I will be buying your kit off you for sure. I know your a stand up guy and know your **** when it comes to modding this Stillen kit. I recommend to anyone that wants to get more power with this S/C to just get your conversion but I have been curious about my idea for a while and am on the verge of making it happen. Either I will blow my motor and end up with your kit or my curiosity will be satisfied and I will see what kind of gains this will pull off.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Topgunz
Registered Member

You wont (hopefully) blow your motor right away, well as long as the tune is on. But if the heat isnt managed from the 9psi pulley and the Si trim then it will wear at your piston rings. There really wont be a way of knowing whats happening inside. I do know that E85 will help a lot though so that might be your saving grace. The fact that you have to spray 30% more fuel alone combined with the latent heat of vaporization ethanol provides is a good way to deter the heat. You should make some good power on that setup. a
The following users liked this post:
RickyBobby (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Topgunz
You wont (hopefully) blow your motor right away, well as long as the tune is on. But if the heat isnt managed from the 9psi pulley and the Si trim then it will wear at your piston rings. There really wont be a way of knowing whats happening inside. I do know that E85 will help a lot though so that might be your saving grace. The fact that you have to spray 30% more fuel alone combined with the latent heat of vaporization ethanol provides is a good way to deter the heat. You should make some good power on that setup. a
Hey I'm trying to get a hold of you to get an air-air kit and I understand you're also in the process of making a full supercharger kit--please PM me and maybe your phone number so we can talk. I'm coming to Minnesota next month and would love to perhaps get it around then if possible.
I'm also trying to register on the the370z.com to try to reach you there
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
08 g37 coupe 5AT RWD

I'm thinking about doing this and buying the parts slowly and installing when spring arrives next year.
I have FI catback/rhfc (I'll change the rhfc for test pipes down the road)
Since I have an 08 I can only use uprev correct? It will be my daily until I can buy a beater down the road. I'm aiming for 420-450whp (nothing crazy yet...) I don't see myself using E85. Do I need the 9lb pulley?

Do I need the transgo kit upgrade?

My shopping list so far:
Stillen SC kit

Topgunz A2A upgrade
TBatt idler pulley
SI trim upgrade from vortech
Tial QRJ upgrade
Injector Dynamics ID1000 (over kill or am i good?)

What fuel pump upgrade should I do?

Which engine/transmission cooler do I need?
So I cannot use the oem crashbar correct? where do I get one that I can use?
What else am i missing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Stillen SC A-A Upgrade Kit - G37xs