Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help G37 Coupe Clutch & Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:17 PM
BABrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Coupe Clutch & Flywheel

Car: 2009, g37 6MT, Mileage ~ 68K, First owner
My Slave cylinder is toast and car is at the shop. While they dropped the transmission, turns out the clutch is pretty much worn(I saw it, it is down to the rivets ) and they said it is better to change. I agreed.
They said they will just replace the pressure plate and clutch disk. They are going to reuse the flywheel. The girl on the counter said they resurfaced it it. However I'm not sure because I read on these forums that DM Flywheels can't be resurfaced.
Now questions:
a) Can they reuse flywheel? Is that okay? an OEM flywheel costs ~1K and money is tight. So if this is okay I'd love to keep it.

b)Do I have to *absolutely* use new fly wheel?

c) They are using a brand called VALEO for the clutch disk and pressure plate. Any feedback?
[I can't wait for buying a southbend or JWT from online because I need the car by tomorrow.]

Any help/comment would be highly appreciated. I'm a noob as far as auto internals are concerned..

-Bab
Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 AM
the walrus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A. Yes it can be re-used, but do you want to? You want to inspect it for looseness (rock and rotating). If it has too much play it should be replaced. At 68k miles you might be ok.

See here:

B. If the current one is worn out, yes it is best to replace.

C. Valeo is an OEM supplier IIRC so you should be good there.

Generally a DMF flywheel is replaced rather than re-surfaced. Most machine shops won't touch them. It would be pointless to re-surface and re-use if it is worn out and has a lot of play. If your shop says they re-surfaced it I would want to see it.

An OEM flywheel can be had for $1140 at a dealer, or $763 online: 2008 Infiniti G37 Parts - Discount Infiniti Parts | Genuine, OEM Infiniti Parts | Infiniti Accessories | Huge Inventory

Also, the Luk DMF103 is considered an OE spec replacement. They can be had online for as little as $398 but they are currently backordered everywhere.

Best of luck,
Justin
The following users liked this post:
SonicVQ (05-05-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Buy kit and express. My advice
Old 04-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by BABrown
Car: 2009, g37 6MT, Mileage ~ 68K, First owner
My Slave cylinder is toast and car is at the shop. While they dropped the transmission, turns out the clutch is pretty much worn(I saw it, it is down to the rivets ) and they said it is better to change. I agreed.
They said they will just replace the pressure plate and clutch disk. They are going to reuse the flywheel. The girl on the counter said they resurfaced it it. However I'm not sure because I read on these forums that DM Flywheels can't be resurfaced.
Now questions:
a) Can they reuse flywheel? Is that okay? an OEM flywheel costs ~1K and money is tight. So if this is okay I'd love to keep it.

b)Do I have to *absolutely* use new fly wheel?

c) They are using a brand called VALEO for the clutch disk and pressure plate. Any feedback?
[I can't wait for buying a southbend or JWT from online because I need the car by tomorrow.]

Any help/comment would be highly appreciated. I'm a noob as far as auto internals are concerned..

-Bab
I would recommend not reusing the flywheel, I heard the same that dual mass flywheels can't be resurfaced but I wouldn't recommend it due to the cost of labor, I'm sure there is a vendor around the Bay Area that has clutch kit in stock. I know you can't wait but I think it's better to wait rather than have issued down the road and have to pay for labor labor over again. JWT and southbend are great kits that come with flywheels, would I like me to ask someone in the bay that is on the Facebook pages to see if any vendors around?
Old 04-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by PongSanity
Buy kit and express. My advice
I agree just pay for one day shipping Man it's well worth it and may save you a couple hundred of dollars later in the future. I was on the same boat one day my car wouldn't go in gear, didn't know much about aftermarket kits until I called a well known vendor locally to me and they had JWT in stock Conceptzperformance which are on here too and they helped me out I thought the oem flywheel was the only one I can use and no I got my JWT full kit for 775.00. Make sure you get a concentric slave cylinder (z speed brand) 325.00 and oem master cylinder it's recommended by Nissan to change them when dropping the transmission
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
when i did the clutch on the g35 at the shop they reused the flywheel with no resurface. i didnt experience any issues. thats jus my experiece. i know the text book answer is to replace it. with that said with lightweight flywheels there will be chatter
Old 05-05-2016, 06:11 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
^^^If the flywheel is in good shape, it can be re-used.

@the walrus
Excellent videos! It seems like not many people understand how to check a dual mass flywheel. Coming from the BMW world, I have done these checks a few times.

@ BABrown
Some shops do resurface the dual mass flywheel, even though the manufacturer says not to. You don't want the metal shavings from the flywheel getting into the bearing that supports the two flywheel masses.

What did you end up doing?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:41 AM
BABrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old thread. Missed replies
The shop had it resurfacedby another vendor. I went to the actual shop who did the resurfacing and specifically asked them about it. They explained to me that they have done resurfacing of DMFs many many times and they do it only if the flywheel is not worn out. This was in may 16 and the car has been pretty fine up until now.

But, last month I had a freak accident and my baby got totaled. Insurance have offered me a pretty good price if I want to buy the car out. The body shop guy says he will pay at-least double of what insurance has offered me, which makes me think that I should rather buy it and then just keep driving, Salvage title be damned!

I saw the damage. Its not much. Front bumper cover needs to be replaced and that's it.

What do you guys think?(Just so you know, this will not be my DD. I bought another one for that. This is just for keeping me happy. I just love the sound of tanabes on this baby)
-Bb
Old 01-07-2017, 03:21 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Careful, insurance won't just total a (newer) car based on bumper damage. There is an issue with the core support, or under body work, that is either expensive, or very labor intensive, and that is why you totaled. That said, be aware, it may not be a simple cash fix. Of course all rules vary, but this is a generalization on a newer style car with decent miles. Of course it will total if it's a rag, or crazy high miles. I've seen insurance total a car based on a bumper cover, but it was an old honda, and technically had a bent core, and although drivable, would have cost to much to cut and install a new core support.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:18 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the walrus
A. Yes it can be re-used, but do you want to? You want to inspect it for looseness (rock and rotating). If it has too much play it should be replaced. At 68k miles you might be ok.

See here:
LuK DMF testing tool - YouTube
LuK DMF – visual inspection and damage patterns - YouTube

B. If the current one is worn out, yes it is best to replace.

C. Valeo is an OEM supplier IIRC so you should be good there.

Generally a DMF flywheel is replaced rather than re-surfaced. Most machine shops won't touch them. It would be pointless to re-surface and re-use if it is worn out and has a lot of play. If your shop says they re-surfaced it I would want to see it.

An OEM flywheel can be had for $1140 at a dealer, or $763 online: 2008 Infiniti G37 Parts - Discount Infiniti Parts | Genuine, OEM Infiniti Parts | Infiniti Accessories | Huge Inventory

Also, the Luk DMF103 is considered an OE spec replacement. They can be had online for as little as $398 but they are currently backordered everywhere.

Best of luck,
Justin
So glad I checked here, was literally about buy the flywheel from the dealer. $350 saved wow