Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

AAM Competition Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I'll have to check it out. AAM is 25 mins from my house.

As far as price...well, I spent more than that on cats and a cat-back for less whp than 20...

Though I did get lots of aesthetic and aural gains.

Sean
Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
while that maybe true but is this manifold going to pick up gains lets say over the VQ35HR or ported stock manifold?

at least when you replaced exhaust you picked up gains

i asked them for a bit of a discounted price and would test all 3 for them same day same conditions! my VQ35HR vs Ported vs AAM

if it cant pickup any more gains that what's on my car now i cant see spending about 2300 with taxes and shipping..
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Chuckie - you make an excellent point. If the incremental gains over, say, a $500 manifold aren't significant, then, yes, no point.

I was thinking baseline from OEM manifold to the AAM manifold. Without sunk cost.

Sean
Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM
chuckie311

While cast aluminum might make the engine bay hotter i don't see a problem with heat soak.
with the Larger runners i'm taking a guess and say you'll see probably some great TQ gains like the VQ35HR manifold..
so it look's like they designed it well if you want to port your lower and have head work done.
it will be interesting to see if its worth the 2K plus to buy it..

Originally Posted by Bravo at
Adding some more info from Marken Smith at AAM:
"

On Jan 15, 2016, at 12:00 PM, Marken Smith wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to write. The manifold is designed to accept up to 70mm TB’s. The Manifold consist of cast aluminum. The enthusiast will have the opportunity to obtain carbon fiber inserts as an upgrade. The runners are larger versus oem and tapers down to the lower oem runners. The lower portion of the runner is designed to be ported for those who have ported lower and heads.

There are also 4 auxiliary vacuum ports. There are located two on each TB side by the butterfly valve.

As time moves forward and more information becomes available, I will make it a priority to update the threads on www.the370Z.com. If you have not yet seen the thread, it is as follows:

Early Easter Egg- New AAM Competition 370Z/G37 Product! - Nissan 370Z Forum

Please feel welcome to forward any questions you may have. "

Cast aluminum could make the engine bay hotter. Still interested.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 AM
chuckie311

i still cant see why people are buying the VQ35HR (M370) manifold for between the 400-600 dollar range..i modified the manifold myself for less than 150..
im running it now because i wanted more of the TQ in my mid-range after the header and gear change..

i so wish i could be a test car.. maybe ill email and ask them if i leave a deposit for the manifold if they would send me one to compare..

i have the VQ35HR ported.. ported stock and a stock manifold.. i would be willing to compare all 3 of those against the AAM

Name:  IMG_2587.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  172.4 KB

Originally Posted by VIVID
Chuckie - you make an excellent point. If the incremental gains over, say, a $500 manifold aren't significant, then, yes, no point.

I was thinking baseline from OEM manifold to the AAM manifold. Without sunk cost.

Sean

Last edited by chuckie311; 01-19-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM
chuckie311

My email with Michael at AAM

1. is it going to be a baseline Dyno with no tuning
2. would you do a dyno comparison against the stock vs Z1 vs VQ35HR manifold same day?
3.i might look in to this for the future as im going Cams heads and Stroker kit.
4. if you looking for someone to compare all those manifold same day same car i can do it..

5.i have a ported VQ35HR manifold a stock and ported stock..
i would be willing to leave a 2k deposit while the testing is being done..so im willing to eat the cost of dyno time and travel time to my tuner for testing..
All stock baseline numbers for dyno testing with 0 tuning done..

just throwing the above out there because we all know everyone is gonig to want to see independent dyno tesing
as well..

Michael's Email

Thanks for your interest in our new AAM Competition Intake Manifold! I am sure we will do a baseline pull for a starting point, but we recommend tuning with any bolt on aftermarket performance upgrade to achieve the upgrades full potential and ensure the vehicle has adapted and running safely due to the changes.

We will be comparing our intake manifold against the stock oem unit, and measuring gains from there. We ourselves will not dyno compare against the Z1 as a general rule of business, but I am sure many will be willing to do so once our manifold hits the shelves.

You will see significant gains on vehicles with serious upgrades, forced induction, and higher displacement. Our IM will be perfect for you since you mentioned cams and stroker kit in the near future.

You are more than welcomed to put our Intake Manifold to the test against the other available options if you’d like! First units are expected to ship in March. I will keep you posted with updates concerning our IM. Contact me with any further questions/concerns you may have!
Old 01-19-2016, 03:19 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I'm going to be looking at this as well, But do want to see numbers, maybe I'll wait for chuckie to do it first tho
Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Ah well....

Won't work for me...I don't have serious upgrades...I'm just a bolt-on boy here.

Sean
Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM
chuckie311

if they will loan me a manifold for testing i would do it.
i'll email Michael as it gets closer to release time.

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I'm going to be looking at this as well, But do want to see numbers, maybe I'll wait for chuckie to do it first tho
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckie311:
ANMVQ (01-19-2016), Upscale Speed (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:16 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
I wanna see how beneficial it'll be on a boosted application. The vacuum ports are a winner in my book. I guess it'll make the 500+ horses more safer.... I do want to change from my m370 to a port match upper/lower manifold after I go boost so I'll wait for numbers.... And reviews... And couple years lol.
The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (01-23-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Interesting but this will have to create a solid bump in HP proven by dyno runs vs. stock and Aftermarket (Z1 or M370) for me to spend that kind of money on an IM. However the tapered design with the ability to port the manifold easily to match a ported lower plenum is intriguing and the fact it can accommodate 70mm TB's is too. hmmm....
Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Still no results...... WTF? First round of Manifolds have gone out to customers, why hasn't anybody posted numbers yet? .... makes no sense
Old 11-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Probably because a lot of stuff needs to get sorted out along with proper tuning. Like AAM said, on a stock motor with bolt on parts, it ain't going to do much at all. You'll need forced induction for this thing to produce gains over stock (if it does at all).

Hypothetically, if I were installing one of these on a G or 370Z that already has forced induction, I'd be taking it pretty slow to make sure there aren't any issues created by efficiency increases (like maxing out injector duty cycle). Plus you'll need to line everything up for installation then tune it before being able to drive it or go for numbers on a dyno. One change is not always easy.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes there's many factors at play here, and I understand that. Just figured we would have at least saw numbers for a N/A with bolt on's so that people could legitimately dismiss the option. Full bolt on's, bigger TB's, ported lower plenum, and this manifold interests me... but then again I guess somebody has to be the first and the gains over other manifold's at 1/4 the cost are most likely negligible. But it looks good??? (he said trying to rationalize the expenditure)

Time will tell... tax season coming... cars parked for the winter... might have to scratch the itch by spring
Old 11-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Yes there's many factors at play here, and I understand that. Just figured we would have at least saw numbers for a N/A with bolt on's so that people could legitimately dismiss the option. Full bolt on's, bigger TB's, ported lower plenum, and this manifold interests me... but then again I guess somebody has to be the first and the gains over other manifold's at 1/4 the cost are most likely negligible. But it looks good??? (he said trying to rationalize the expenditure)

Time will tell... tax season coming... cars parked for the winter... might have to scratch the itch by spring
Frankly, I'd do JWT cams over that intake for the same amount of money. More power and torque everywhere in the rev range.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (11-03-2016)

Quick Reply: AAM Competition Manifold