Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Definite & Concrete Tranny oil answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Definite & Concrete Tranny oil answers

I've been reading a while on this forum, and cannot find an exact answer to my question. There is a divide on people agreeing and disagreeing. I have a 2009 G37 sedan, with the 7 speed AT. Question is, does the tranny oil need to be changed or is it sealed and does not need to be touched, ever. Can we get some real answers? Some have called the dealer and were told both....

If it does, when is the best time to do it.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
if you read the infiniti service maintenance guide it says that they 7 speed auto is maintenance free
Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
You'll get varying answers depending on who you ask, as you've seen. The dealer can and will perform the service. I'm of the opinion that since it's an oil and all fluids eventually degrade over time, may as well have it done.

I would not have it done anywhere but an Infiniti or Nissan dealer though. They have a special machine to evacuate the fluid through the trans cooler lines from what I understand. I had mine done last spring and have not had any issues since. I was at about 85k miles when I had it done and it'll run you around $200-$230 unless they have a service coupon going.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:48 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by staskz
I've been reading a while on this forum, and cannot find an exact answer to my question. There is a divide on people agreeing and disagreeing. I have a 2009 G37 sedan, with the 7 speed AT. Question is, does the tranny oil need to be changed or is it sealed and does not need to be touched, ever. Can we get some real answers? Some have called the dealer and were told both....

If it does, when is the best time to do it.
There is a procedure shown right in the FSM for the 7AT transmission, and listed under "Periodic Maintenance", for changing the transmission fluid:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2009/TM.pdf (see page TM-267)

Yes, it details the use of specialized tools/equip, but it does imply that 'servicing' the fluid can and is being done.
The following 2 users liked this post by vqsmile:
Herostar (03-25-2015), twin_snails (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 05:03 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thanks vq! You're the master of the FSM! I didn't know it was DIY-able, but I'm glad to part with my money to let the dealer do it. #imgettinglazy lol
Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Agree with the above on all fluids degrade over time and our trannys run HOT, I had mine done at 60k as part of my 60k service.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Infiniti says don't touch, I probably won't even consider it until over 100k miles (if I still have the car). Some things are better left alone and cracking them open will cause more problems then good.

What does Infiniti gain by telling thousands of customers to not come in and have their transmission oil serviced? Why would they sacrifice their long term reliability to save a maintenance item for the customer, an item that is generally a high mileage item anyways.

Name:  TransFluid_zpsba5b5cbd.png
Views: 62
Size:  20.5 KB

Last edited by Ryne; 03-25-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

The don't open the trans at all when changing the fluid, The use a matchine and suck the fluid out then refill it. don't believe everything you read. I had been told to get my extended warranty from Infiniti they would require that I do my 60k service and that includes the trans fluid.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:04 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Manual calls for AT fluid change every 30k except for 7AT so I think it only applies to 5AT?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by serega13
Manual calls for AT fluid change every 30k except for 7AT so I think it only applies to 5AT?
That quote is from the 2013 manual, when there was not a 5AT offering.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
The don't open the trans at all when changing the fluid, The use a matchine and suck the fluid out then refill it. don't believe everything you read. I had been told to get my extended warranty from Infiniti they would require that I do my 60k service and that includes the trans fluid.
I consider taking off whatever cap they need to "opening". It's an opportunity for unwanted substances/particles to get in. I don't believe everything I read, but I also can't trust Infiniti dealerships to wash my car without damaging it, so why should I trust them to perform a maintenance activity that isn't even specified by the owners manual?

There is a high profit margin on taking out and replacing fluids... In my book, that would be considered a motive for deception, and enough uncertainty to cause an uncomfortable feeling.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:50 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne;

Infiniti says don't touch, I probably won't even consider it until over 100k miles (if I still have the car). Some things are better left alone and cracking them open will cause more problems then good.

What does Infiniti gain by telling thousands of customers to not come in and have their transmission oil serviced? Why would they sacrifice their long term reliability to save a maintenance item for the customer, an item that is generally a high mileage item anyways.
Originally Posted by Ryne;

I consider taking off whatever cap they need to "opening". It's an opportunity for unwanted substances/particles to get in. I don't believe everything I read, but I also can't trust Infiniti dealerships to wash my car without damaging it, so why should I trust them to perform a maintenance activity that isn't even specified by the owners manual?

There is a high profit margin on taking out and replacing fluids... In my book, that would be considered a motive for deception, and enough uncertainty to cause an uncomfortable feeling.
Jeez bud, paranoid much?

Please answer this one: If it is so damn dangerous, why do they detail the instructions for the procedure in the FSM, EVEN FOR THE 2013 MODEL, under Periodic Maintenance, and beginning on page TM-261 ??????????????????
Do you think just maybe the factory service manual is a little more authoritative and comprehensive than the Owner's Manual?

The most obvious reason why the Owner manual would state no service is required is simply to keep the apparent cost of maintenance down. Why do you think BMW sells their cars with its early maintenance included? It's marketing, and people suck it up! Infinti has clearly demonstrated they are not concerned with maintenance problems and repair costs that occur outside of warranty.

The relative likelihood of a modern automatic breaking down due to fluid in the first 100K miles is very low, so it is fairly safe for them to tout the no-maintenance concept, but that does not mean that is the most beneficial policy for continued longevity past 200K-300K miles!

It is generally considered worse for an automatic to go without any fluid servicing for longer periods of time, and then do an entire fluid replacement instead of simple refreshes of a smaller amounts of fluid at shorter intervals. This directly conflicts with your assertion that "things are better left alone".

If it makes you sleep better at night following the letter of the Owner manual over that of the FSM, be my guest, but know that if your transmission goes out at 125K miles, you'll get nothing from Infiniti.

Ref: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Coupe/2013/TM.pdf
Old 03-26-2015, 01:06 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I would agree with the above about "maintenance free" possibly being to keep the apparent cost of maintenance down and the Matic-S fluid has quite a bit of additional additives in it over Matic-J.

I've heard Infiniti refer to it as "lifetime mileage" on the 7AT fluid. However, it is highly subjective, and highly open to debate as to what "lifetime" is defined as. Similar to the infamous quote, "well that depends on what the definition of 'is' is." Lifetime could mean 100k miles or 200-250k plus.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne

For what its worth I don't let them was my car either, But again I ONLY hand wash my car and it never see's a car wash either. And for what I paid for the trans service (120$) and the huge discount I got on the extended warranty( $900) I'm sure it wasn't a high profit move for them but more in terms as they KNOW something will break and be covered and they will make $$$ on warranty work. IE: I have had my passanger side headlamp+ ballast replaced and all 4 end links in the last year. And in the course of the next 4 years I betting I have to use the warranty again .
Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Jeez bud, paranoid much?

Please answer this one: If it is so damn dangerous, why do they detail the instructions for the procedure in the FSM, EVEN FOR THE 2013 MODEL, under Periodic Maintenance, and beginning on page TM-261 ??????????????????
Do you think just maybe the factory service manual is a little more authoritative and comprehensive than the Owner's Manual?

The most obvious reason why the Owner manual would state no service is required is simply to keep the apparent cost of maintenance down. Why do you think BMW sells their cars with its early maintenance included? It's marketing, and people suck it up! Infinti has clearly demonstrated they are not concerned with maintenance problems and repair costs that occur outside of warranty.

The relative likelihood of a modern automatic breaking down due to fluid in the first 100K miles is very low, so it is fairly safe for them to tout the no-maintenance concept, but that does not mean that is the most beneficial policy for continued longevity past 200K-300K miles!

It is generally considered worse for an automatic to go without any fluid servicing for longer periods of time, and then do an entire fluid replacement instead of simple refreshes of a smaller amounts of fluid at shorter intervals. This directly conflicts with your assertion that "things are better left alone".

If it makes you sleep better at night following the letter of the Owner manual over that of the FSM, be my guest, but know that if your transmission goes out at 125K miles, you'll get nothing from Infiniti.

Ref: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Coupe/2013/TM.pdf
I think you're missing some links here. The "Owner's Manual" tells the owner what maintenance is required and the "Factory Service Manual" provides you with instructions on how to perform service tasks.

Since the "Owner's Manual" states that it is recommended to perform an Automatic Transmission Fluid change if you use you are for certain purposes, or under certain conditions, of course they are going to outline how to perform that service job in the "Factory Service Manual".

The "Owner's Manual" prescribes the work and the "Factory Service Manual" tells you how to do the work.

There are many periodic maintenance jobs outlined in the "Factory Service Manual" that I cannot perform, because my car is not equipped with the parts, because the "Factory Service Manual" is all inclusive.

If I am mistaken, please show me where the "Factory Service Manual" prescribes an ATF change on a G37 that is missing in the "Owner's Manual".

Last edited by Ryne; 03-26-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Definite & Concrete Tranny oil answers