Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Definite & Concrete Tranny oil answers

Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
i see this issue will just be an open discussion, always.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:57 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne

If I am mistaken, please show me where the "Factory Service Manual" prescribes an ATF change on a G37 that is missing in the "Owner's Manual".
The fact that you ask this would seem to imply that you are just being overly pedantic or you simply didn't get it. You appear to cling to the owners manual as if it were the gospel, but I would bet that EVEN YOU () make interpretations and take liberties with its maintenance suggestions.

Do you also think you would be causing damage to your car if you changed the oil every 3K miles, or the spark plugs at 60K miles, or if you ever changed your PS fluid? In fact, focusing on the PS fluid in particular, there is no scheduled fluid replacement listed for it - EVER! It is not listed in the owner manual nor the FSM (the procedure itself isn't even covered), so clearly by your logic, it should never be needed, right?

I'm wondering if you actually believe the notion that a "maintenance free" transmission means that it should never, ever, be serviced within its lifetime. So basically, would that mean you just expect to drive it right into the ground and then assume that was all she was ever good for ??!

I just called up three dealerships in my immediate area and all three recommended a 60K mile fluid change interval for the 7AT in spite of what the owner's manual states. They all agreed that there really was no such thing as a truly "maintenance free" transmission, and it would be better for the transmission in the long run to have had routine fluid servicing than to have waited until a problem arose and only then servicing it.

There are no magical unicorns in that 7AT. It runs on hydraulic fluid just like all the rest. Hydraulic fluid breaks down with continued use. The only thing that is different here is that the factory chose to make it appear to have low maintenance costs.

I guess it's fine if you want to do whatever makes you happy with your own transmission, but frankly I think it is a disservice to your fellow forum members here to spread what amounts to needless fear about keeping their transmission in top shape.

Originally Posted by staskz

i see this issue will just be an open discussion, always.
Sadly, it appears so. All I can say is use your best judgement.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
The fact that you ask this would seem to imply that you are just being overly pedantic or you simply didn't get it. You appear to cling to the owners manual as if it were the gospel, but I would bet that EVEN YOU () make interpretations and take liberties with its maintenance suggestions.

Do you also think you would be causing damage to your car if you changed the oil every 3K miles, or the spark plugs at 60K miles, or if you ever changed your PS fluid? In fact, focusing on the PS fluid in particular, there is no scheduled fluid replacement listed for it - EVER! It is not listed in the owner manual nor the FSM (the procedure itself isn't even covered), so clearly by your logic, it should never be needed, right?

I'm wondering if you actually believe the notion that a "maintenance free" transmission means that it should never, ever, be serviced within its lifetime. So basically, would that mean you just expect to drive it right into the ground and then assume that was all she was ever good for ??!

I just called up three dealerships in my immediate area and all three recommended a 60K mile fluid change interval for the 7AT in spite of what the owner's manual states. They all agreed that there really was no such thing as a truly "maintenance free" transmission, and it would be better for the transmission in the long run to have had routine fluid servicing than to have waited until a problem arose and only then servicing it.

There are no magical unicorns in that 7AT. It runs on hydraulic fluid just like all the rest. Hydraulic fluid breaks down with continued use. The only thing that is different here is that the factory chose to make it appear to have low maintenance costs.

I guess it's fine if you want to do whatever makes you happy with your own transmission, but frankly I think it is a disservice to your fellow forum members here to spread what amounts to needless fear about keeping their transmission in top shape.

Sadly, it appears so. All I can say is use your best judgement.
Remember, all of my comments and opinions are influenced by high quality barrel aged stouts.

I understand that manufacturers have been pressured into maintenance free parts to fit in and keep their marketing competitive.

I have a little time to mull over what I will do with my car. It would be nice of Nissan/Infiniti to mention a recommended interval.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Paceship

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low AT fluid

At about 55K miles my G37x AT started hesitating before engaging when putting it into drive. In fact, if on an incline the car would roll back 2-3 feet before engaging. Infiniti dealer checked and said trans fluid was LOW by a quart. Topping off the fluid solved the problem. I wonder where the fluid went...no leaks or anything. Anyone had a similar issue?