Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Z1motorsports 400 hp package

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:08 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its 400 hp not 400 whp, but even then.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Dean and I here both see this as very plausible. We have both had customers with Headers, Test Pipes, and Gen 2/3 Intakes that have made well over 300 whp with dyno tuning on 91 octane. I have seen 315 rwhp on that setup with Gen 2's, and Dean has seen 310 rwhp on a 370z with all those mods but the Gen 3 intakes and High Flow Cats instead of test pipes. With a manifold upgrade (probably a Motodyne clone) and 93 Octane I am sure this is possible.

I would guess their prototype intake looks a lot like the STILLEN Gen 3.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Alkatraz

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I dont know about in the US but over here in Aus this kind of advertising would be completely illegal. How can you sell something as a 400hp package, when the package doesn't even include all of the parts required to obtain the supposed 400hp?!?

Might as well call it the 1000hp kit and just say that it doesnt include the 4.2lt block and massive turbo because most people would already have those...lol

Whats worse is that the dyno sheet says that the car had a Tomei exhaust and Z1 prototype intake......both of which Z1 do not even list for sale on their website!!!

I cant actually find a Tomei exhuast for the 370z. Does anyone know what exhaust this is??

Edit....the cost of additional parts required to get the 400hp, would probably be far more than the actual cost of this kit! Lol! False advertising doesn't get much more blatant than this!

Last edited by Alkatraz; 12-06-2013 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (12-08-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
To be clear Z1 has always been a good vendor IMO and I've gotten good products, service, and pricing from them. I don't think they're trying to get over on anyone but the way they're marketing these parts is putting people off. But they shouldn't advertise a theoretical engine HP figure, then show a dyno with a wheel HP figure to justify it. And then add, "Oh by the way, you'll also need to buy a Stillen Gen 3 intake, a full fatback exhaust system, and get a UpRev tune that's not included in this package to achieve the HP figure."

The parts themselves might be fine; I don't know because I don't have them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
Alkatraz (12-06-2013), Presto (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 02:19 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Team_STILLEN
Dean and I here both see this as very plausible. We have both had customers with Headers, Test Pipes, and Gen 2/3 Intakes that have made well over 300 whp with dyno tuning on 91 octane. I have seen 315 rwhp on that setup with Gen 2's, and Dean has seen 310 rwhp on a 370z with all those mods but the Gen 3 intakes and High Flow Cats instead of test pipes. With a manifold upgrade (probably a Motodyne clone) and 93 Octane I am sure this is possible.

I would guess their prototype intake looks a lot like the STILLEN Gen 3.
Normally I stay out of Stillen threads, I have a lot of respect for Kyle Millen, however.

Facts are this with fast intentions intimidator exhaust/HFCs/ stillen gen 3 intakes /stillen headers / uprev tuned with & without headers.

Before the headers I barley cracked 310whp
With headers 318whp, I forget the tq.

However fact is the fast intention intimidator polished ss & cats are 10 steps above your products.
Not only making more power, but actually caring about the customer.

Specifically the headers had to be gone over with dremel.
Took about an hr to smooth out rough patches by whoever the lazy person drilling out the ports should at least make sure they are even & ported properly.
Besides the $585 price tag plus the extra downtime & labor just to install.
I had to e mail dean with issues of header paint still wet upon arrival.
Now besides the poor quality of the headers, you spray paint them & send them out wet to a customer.,?
Again more down time & making sure the cheap paint was dry, the extra time & costs what a waste, that's not including the $200 charge after the headers were installed, I thought the car was running great.
Was I wrong, my afrs were dangerously lean & this was in no way an aggressive tune. You guys just don't care, it's a shame.
I always rec stillen, until your flaws in customer service is why no one is even answering you guys.
The following 4 users liked this post by RISKY GUY:
ANMVQ (12-08-2013), Elperuano (05-13-2014), Presto (12-07-2013), warpeacelove (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
As a Z1 customer I can say I don't think they are trying to pull anything over on anyone. They are a great bunch and i think the 400hp is just a name. They very clearly explain it on their site that it's not whp. I would assume they leave out the intake and exhaust as most people looking for more power would probably already have that, and at the same time, have different taste on exhaust, and possibly intake. UpRev is not included, but if you are going to tune your car you don't necessarily have to have your own cable, you can take it to any UpRev pro shop and have them flash a pro licence on it and they can do it for you for a little cheaper than buying your own cable.

As for the test pipes I have used them and they did not thrown any CEL on my car even with the TT kit. Mike (The Powdercoater) is the one who originally dynoed this setup on his track car with the "momentum" headers, which z1 now owns the jig for.

The manifold I can't comment on, however I have been considering trying it out while I'm up there soon. I will be comparing numbers on my TT setup with the Motorydyne shockwave system 2.5/3 system and the full 3" catback. I would be curious on what numbers the manifold modification is and numbers it will produce on FI. Stay tuned.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

This thread is NOT about Stillen or Fast Intentions or anything else other than the Z1 product in the title. Don't get it sidetracked.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
pebkac (05-12-2014), Team_STILLEN (12-09-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by DPE G
The manifold I can't comment on, however I have been considering trying it out while I'm up there soon. I will be comparing numbers on my TT setup with the Motorydyne shockwave system 2.5/3 system and the full 3" catback. I would be curious on what numbers the manifold modification is and numbers it will produce on FI. Stay tuned.
Interesting. With your TT setup do you intend to run a before/after dyno with just their modified intake manifold changed to see how it affects your setup? And also, what full 3" system are you talking about comparing to the MD Shockwave? That's the exhaust I've got, as well as a GTM TT setup on the way (whenever they get around to shipping them) and I'd love to see the difference a full 3" system makes.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
I will do a before and after of both my exhaust/intake setup vs 3" motordyne tdx /current intake, and depending on the results, the 2.5 or 3" w/z1 manifold.

The shockwave as you know starts @ 2.5 and steps up to 3" in the rear, I have the TDX front half which will make it 3" all the way through. Tony is waiting on dyno results from me once I get the time to make my way to Z1. I'm not sure if the ART test pipes are going to be a choke point for me or not with a 2.25" diameter. If so they will be swapped out to a GTM 3" downpipe.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so if you add headers

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I don't have THEIR package, but I have the motordyne M370, FI HFC's, FI Catback, and Stillen Gen 3's with an Uprev tune.

If that gives you anything close to 400 HP, I'll eat my hat. I've got all the NA breather mods AND a tune, and I'm at 320 RWHP.

I'm sorry, the short answer to your question is: No.
their modified upper intake manifold vs M370
FI HFC vs Non res-testpipe
plus headers could be the difference of 20whp? maybe. or plus the 93octane tune & upgraded clutch & flywheel.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I don't have THEIR package, but I have the motordyne M370, FI HFC's, FI Catback, and Stillen Gen 3's with an Uprev tune.

If that gives you anything close to 400 HP, I'll eat my hat. I've got all the NA breather mods AND a tune, and I'm at 320 RWHP.

I'm sorry, the short answer to your question is: No.
So you are what about 380 at at the crank? Thats not too bad. How's the gas mileage?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
I dunno, I've never measured crank horsepower. Mileage is okay, I drive highway about 70% of the time, my mileage is probably 17mpg perhaps? I'll start monitoring more closely and get back to you.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:57 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
The momentum headers are a completely different design than stillen and have been dynoed to give more power than any header on the market. They were for a DE motor but combined with the vhr provide a nice power gain over any other header. Look it up on the 370 forums. I think with these headers and g3,test pipes, fi exhaust, intake mani, and tune can get you pretty close. It's not false advertising, is just everything has to be in prefect harmony to achieve the numbers.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 AM
perez519

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone did this setup yet? if so pls post real dyno sheet
Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by perez519
Has anyone did this setup yet? if so pls post real dyno sheet
I would be interested to see as well. Only seen one 370 get these numbers.

Quick Reply: Z1motorsports 400 hp package