Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by perez519
question guys can I still use my stillen standard light weight pulley on SC set up?
Sorry for not responding sooner. We did not see your post. Yes, you can use your standard light weight pulley with the SC kit.
The following users liked this post:
perez519 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whiddles
Okay guys who have this system LOOK OUT!!!!
Long story short I have 18k miles on the kit I bought new from Stillen in 2010 so warranty is up. Well the other day my car hydro locked from Stillen's manifold inter cooler. they told me this is the first that they have seen this issue and I need to buy a new replacement for with with the whole manifold for over $1100. Is it me or is this unreasonable? At this point I think this maybe a flaw in the inter cooler and can cost you a new engine. Buyers beware.
Response posted in other threads.

Originally Posted by kyle@stillen
Whiddles- I have been made aware by my Customer Service Manager that you were unhappy with the answer and immediately informed him that you would be posting on the forums. As such my Customer Service and Sales/Marketing teams were made aware of the situation as we knew we would need to offer our side of the story.

To all reader's of the thread, please look at the images posted and you will see RTV silicone was used to secure the throttle body O rings. Why? I do not know as this is not part of the installation instructions. As you can quickly and easily see using this RTV silicone caused excessive pressure to be built up in the CNC machined O ring groove thus causing the aluminum casting to warp/distort and even crack. Hence the need for a new intake manifold. As this was not something that we could be responsible, this is not something that could/would be covered under warranty.

In regards to the leaking intercooler, the STILLEN intercooler for the VQ37 supercharger is a bar and plate intercooler. Bar and plate intercoolers are extremely durable and this is the first time we have ever seen one leaking on the VQ37 supercharger. As the kit is now 4 years old and outside of warranty and taking into consideration the damage done to the manifold we were not able to offer a warranty. We did however offer the intercooler at a greatly reduced price.

Generally I do not like to air our laundry on forums however as the whole story is not being told I felt it necessary to offer our side of the situation as well.
whiddles (07-02-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 AM
35USC101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the Stillen kit installed on my car and encountered one problem. As I was driving, I lost throttle response (pressed the accelerator and nothing happened) and the check engine light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off the engine and restarted. I got throttle response after that, but the car revved high. I called my shop and they said it was a defect in the connector that connects to the throttle body sensor. My shop replaced the cable and everything seems ok for now (knock on wood). Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am wondering how common this problem is and whether it will come back.

Also, I noticed that when I lift off the throttle while driving at constant speed, the car jerks a bit before decelerating. I can't remember if this happened pre-supercharger, but it seems like there should be a smooth transition from constant velocity to deceleration. Is this normal?

FWIW, it was a hot day and I turned on the AC in my car when it happened (first time since I had the kit installed). I also have the Tein Monosport suspension and the Fast Intentions exhaust installed.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by 35USC101
I just got the Stillen kit installed on my car and encountered one problem. As I was driving, I lost throttle response (pressed the accelerator and nothing happened) and the check engine light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off the engine and restarted. I got throttle response after that, but the car revved high. I called my shop and they said it was a defect in the connector that connects to the throttle body sensor. My shop replaced the cable and everything seems ok for now (knock on wood). Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am wondering how common this problem is and whether it will come back.

Also, I noticed that when I lift off the throttle while driving at constant speed, the car jerks a bit before decelerating. I can't remember if this happened pre-supercharger, but it seems like there should be a smooth transition from constant velocity to deceleration. Is this normal?

FWIW, it was a hot day and I turned on the AC in my car when it happened (first time since I had the kit installed). I also have the Tein Monosport suspension and the Fast Intentions exhaust installed.

Thanks!
Same thing happened to me but I had a vacuum leak which popped up codes P010B and P0101. After finding the leak my problem went away. I would start my car and I had no throttle response but when I shut my car off for 2 minutes then restarted, the car was back to normal. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 AM
35USC101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the relevant code that I got: P1239

I also had P0171, but I think that was related to a lean condition at idle.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Here's the relevant code that I got: P1239

I also had P0171, but I think that was related to a lean condition at idle.
Yup I remember those popped up as well. P0171 and P0174 Bank 1 and Bank 2 too lean. I think when I had the vacuum leak my Air/Fuel fluctuated and caused the lean conditions.

Glad you found the problem.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM
nomodsjk

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!
This happened to me as well. When I contacted stillen about it the person I spoke with said he hasn't heard of this happening before. I dunno. It was very frustrating. Lasted about 2 months. The real problem was it was so sporadic that it was hard to pinpoint the culprit so it got expensive trying to swap out parts that didn't need to be. Wish I would have read this 3 months ago!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:05 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
New to forum, old hand at supercharging

Hi, just joined the forum - I'm a refugee from Maxima.org. Drove a >400WHP AWIC supercharged Maxima for 10 years. Only blew one motor!

Will be installing the Stillen SC kit that's been in my garage for a month as soon as UpRev can get me a tune. Will keep you posted.
The immediate mods will be the Stillen kit, oil cooler, Dynojet Wide Band, and J&S Safegard. Then go from there.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Team_STILLEN (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mhadford
Hi, just joined the forum - I'm a refugee from Maxima.org. Drove a >400WHP AWIC supercharged Maxima for 10 years. Only blew one motor!

Will be installing the Stillen SC kit that's been in my garage for a month as soon as UpRev can get me a tune. Will keep you posted.
The immediate mods will be the Stillen kit, oil cooler, Dynojet Wide Band, and J&S Safegard. Then go from there.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Congratulations! I am assuming this is a brand new tuner kit...though if it is not give me a call before you attempt install as used blower kits are always missing parts.

Tips and advice. Follow the instructions closely. If there is something you don't understand or find in the instructions ask, don't guess or assume. Don't put the bumper back on till after you have started it up and done a little test drive. Go slow when you do the fuel pump (easiest thing to mess up) and make sure everything is correctly done on that end. If you do not have the plug and play harnesses for the Throttle body and MAF's...call me and order them. It will save you tons of potential headaches.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Hey man don't forget the trans cooler , you being in Calgary I'm guessing its a X sedan( 7SPD auto) you'll need the trans cooler for sure
Team_STILLEN (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi, yes this is a brand new tuner kit. I guess I helped Adam make his quota

Why would I need a transmission cooler in Calgary more than other places? I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and it's COLD! It is an x 7AT. I was planning to do the GTM valve body upgrade and transmission cooler at the same time (in the spring) - but I understand that GTM is kaput. Is there another source?

Last edited by mhadford; 12-19-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:24 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
i dont think it is so much the fact that youre in canada, but more the fact that a supercharger will stress the hell out of your tranny and the added cooler will be very beneficial - cold or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by G37Some:
ANMVQ (12-22-2014), Team_STILLEN (12-20-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:14 PM
O2ShootTheJ

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone have any good vids of their supercharged G's? can't seem to find any on youtube
Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Mine , I have a few

Mike's Stillen Supercharged G37X - YouTube

457 WHP

Wifey Cruise LOL. G37X Stillen SC - YouTube

And G37some is correct the added stress from the WTQ and line pressure change you'll want to install that a lot sooner that the spring, I did my oil cooler and trans cooler at the time of install in Dec.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Magowin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Mine , I have a few

Mike's Stillen Supercharged G37X - YouTube

457 WHP

Wifey Cruise LOL. G37X Stillen SC - YouTube

And G37some is correct the added stress from the WTQ and line pressure change you'll want to install that a lot sooner that the spring, I did my oil cooler and trans cooler at the time of install in Dec.
What hood is that on your coupe it looks so sweet?

Quick Reply: Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions