Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you man ^^ I'm learning as I go
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by whiddles
Got it. love physics. NOT
Physics and calculus... hated it in school. Never thought it'd come back to haunt me when I got into cars....

I've gone down the FI path a few times already, and I'm still learning.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol. i know i had to take them both also. Pharmacy school and electrical engineering
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Gazan37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread! Subscribed!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Still waiting on heat exchanger pics if possible
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Still waiting on heat exchanger pics if possible
+ 1 on the heat exchanger. i'm wondering how it mounts in front? where's Stillen been? haven't seen them on these few days!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
+ 1 on the heat exchanger. i'm wondering how it mounts in front? where's Stillen been? haven't seen them on these few days!
What? We're totally here.. The car is undergoing extensive drivability testing, logging hundreds and hundreds of miles all over the place. Last weekend Steve Millen drove it all the way to Nevada and around, it's currently on a big trek today continuing through this weekend as well.

Dyno testing and tuning is one thing, drivability, cold and hot weather testing, track testing, all of these are (some would argue much more) important to ensure a proper kit. We're doing our due diligence, as we continue to manufacture the components for the launch of the kit and begin shipping on schedule.

When the car is back we can take additional photos of the heat exchanger, which looks just like an intercooler, as it is, but doesn't need to take up nearly the room of a large air-to-air intercooler, as the air-to-water system is much more efficient. This leaves additional space in the front for the radiator, oil, trans, power steering coolers, and isn't robbing all of the fresh air from the front of the vehicle, which we would have had to do if we utilized an air-to-air intercooler.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
What? We're totally here.. The car is undergoing extensive drivability testing, logging hundreds and hundreds of miles all over the place. Last weekend Steve Millen drove it all the way to Nevada and around, it's currently on a big trek today continuing through this weekend as well.

Dyno testing and tuning is one thing, drivability, cold and hot weather testing, track testing, all of these are (some would argue much more) important to ensure a proper kit. We're doing our due diligence, as we continue to manufacture the components for the launch of the kit and begin shipping on schedule.

When the car is back we can take additional photos of the heat exchanger, which looks just like an intercooler, as it is, but doesn't need to take up nearly the room of a large air-to-air intercooler, as the air-to-water system is much more efficient. This leaves additional space in the front for the radiator, oil, trans, power steering coolers, and isn't robbing all of the fresh air from the front of the vehicle, which we would have had to do if we utilized an air-to-air intercooler.
we all can't wait for new pic's do you know if heat exchanger can be see behind our grill or lower grill. i've tried to watch the video over and over again but can't see it. i want to show that thing.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see how anything can be seen behind the lower grill. You would have to be very low and straight on. That is unless you removed the grill.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I don't see how anything can be seen behind the lower grill. You would have to be very low and straight on. That is unless you removed the grill.
yeah, i was just wondering lol! we'll find out soon enough.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I hope you guys aren't expecting something HUGE for the heat exchanger; remember, water has a much higher specific heat than air.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Mike
I hope you guys aren't expecting something HUGE for the heat exchanger; remember, water has a much higher specific heat than air.
okay! just hoping it'll be something nice and able to show it off a bit.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
smaller = lighter = more space. Which i prefer.
Although I love the look of a huge Supra style FMIC. It just screams "don't F with me" lol
Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope it mounts behind the upper grill. Would look amazing there.

If it doesnt.... I will find a way to mount it there.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Ijust went and looked through pages and pages of G37's in the gallery to see if I could see anything in any of the front grills. Nothing. If it's a front mounted IC look you are after then you are going to have to paint that thing a very bright silver (darn near white). The opening is not very big and no light gets in there. Maybe if you go with a thinner mesh, that might help get some light in.

Personally, I'd paint all the coolers black because I don't like them to be seen but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions