Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Any one know any thing about the Infiniti Ester motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
splatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
notalk, you hit the nail on the head.
I love my G, but if I knew these restrictions before I purchased I would have had serious reservations. It feels like bait and switch.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by da mayor
\ STEP IT UP, my customer, first complained
after his first oil change about the ticking sound. He came in and then did the ester oil change and the ticking is virtually disappeared.
Actually, in his G35NYC posts, he said the oil change really reduced the ticking, but it was still present. Then, six days later he posted the ticking was back and the oil didn't really help at all.

The oil may help, but I don't think we can take STEP IT UP's change as proof that it works (or doesn't work, for that matter). Clearly, in STEP IT UP's case, the oil did not reduce the ticking noise.

And, I don't even know if the ticking noise he is referring to is VVEL related.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
todd92

God people, calm down. There is not going to be some special super oil that you are required to use. The factory fill is most definitely not a Group V Ester, it is plain old conventional 5W-30.

As for ANY oil changing some ticking noise, it's not going to happen. Viscosity is viscosity. By the way, my car has no ticking or any other odd engine noises?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM
t-bone1924

Originally Posted by notalk
ITB08-039, dated August 6, 2008, as applicable to G37's, says "INFINITI recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil available at your INIFINITI dealer." The part number is 999MP-5W30EP. I think 999 is a miscellaneous part not in the fiche. I think MP means motor part. And, I am guessing 5W30EP means 5W-30 (oil weight) Ester and something beginning with a P.

Perhaps you can upload a copy of this TSB to the TSB section for us all to read? Thanks!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 AM
notalk

They're all at http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi...0Bulletins.htm

todd92, you're right. I got a little carried away. I started this thread to learn about the Nissan Ester oil. We found out it is a 5W-30 conventional oil with an ester additive. The ester additive is not available separately, as, most likely, Nissan buys the private label oil with the ester already added to the oil. The ester additive is supposed to help quiet engine ticking or VVEL knocking. The one person reporting who tried it said it worked at first. Then, after six days his ticking returned. The retail price is $12/quart.

So, whether the ester additive does anything beneficial, we do not know. Like you, I have no ticking or knocking (the TSB has cured my knock for about two months now). If everything is fine without the Nissan Ester oil, then it makes sense to keep using what I have been using. Unless, of course, we learn later on that this Nissan Ester oil works like magic in our cars.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
JonnyOzero3

This is really interesting.

I'm very curious to see what is up with all of this Ester noise...

Last edited by JonnyOzero3; 09-13-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
busterv

Any update on this? Does it say who it's made by?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
UpRev

Originally Posted by busterv
Any update on this? Does it say who it's made by?
Coming from Nissan I'm going to guess Eneos.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by UpRev
Coming from Nissan I'm going to guess Eneos.
Does Nippon/Eneos make a conventional oil? All I can find are synthetics.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
UpRev

Does Nippon/Eneos make a conventional oil? All I can find are synthetics.
Not that they bring to America. I'm pretty sure they are the OEM for all cars built in Japan at this time.

I'd really like to know who is making the additives they are using though.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
UpRev

Seems Torco has the new SR-5 LDG oil for this purpose.

I don't know what Nissan charges for their oil plus the additive, but the Torco retails at $15.75 a liter.

For those that don't know Torco has been making racing oils for almost 60 years, with one of the best reputations in the business. We use them at the shop and on our personal cars.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Buddy Revell

In case anyone here hasn't read the thread about the VVEL TSB, here ya go: https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...light=tsb+vvel
Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 PM
notalk

Seems Torco has the new SR-5 LDG oil for this purpose.

I don't know what Nissan charges for their oil plus the additive, but the Torco retails at $15.75 a liter.

For those that don't know Torco has been making racing oils for almost 60 years, with one of the best reputations in the business. We use them at the shop and on our personal cars.
The Nissan Ester oil is generally $12/quart.

Torco is a great lubricant company. In looking at SR-5, which I assume is as good as the rest of their products, I don't see how it is designed to eliminate variable valve lift train noises. What am I missing?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
UpRev

The Nissan Ester oil is generally $12/quart.

Torco is a great lubricant company. In looking at SR-5, which I assume is as good as the rest of their products, I don't see how it is designed to eliminate variable valve lift train noises. What am I missing?
No oil is designed to specifically reduce the VVEL noise, though it seems that Nissan adds Ester to the oil to reduce the noise. I'm not rocket surgeon, so I'll leave the reasoning up to them. The SR-5 LDG oil is Ester based and according to Torco it is what they recommend for the VVEL cars. They sponsor a lot of the race teams that are using all these different motors and they understand the technology so I have no issue asking them when I have a question and they've never steered me wrong.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:10 PM
notalk

No oil is designed to specifically reduce the VVEL noise, though it seems that Nissan adds Ester to the oil to reduce the noise.
I have been told "officially" the ester is added to provide full, complete and appropriate lubrication of the entire valve train throughout all the variable ranges and settings. I have been told "officially" the only noise recognized by Infiniti is the knocking when the VVEL does not operate within specifications and the newer software will cure and correct this situation.

Quick Reply: Any one know any thing about the Infiniti Ester motor oil?