Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car won't let me pump gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bet if you just pulled the nozzle out of the tank a bit and tried again it would work
Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
dandabirdman99

thats wut i do!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:02 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Pressure builds up and triggers the "it's full" cut-off on the pump. For some reason Infiniti's design builds more pressure than other cars.

Solution -- Pump slower -- from the beginning -- to avoid the pressure build-up. If you go too fast and it builds up, wait a bit and then resume pumping, but slower. You need the pressure to go away and then you need to make sure not to re-trigger it.

This sounds right to me.......
Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same problem with my 03 G35, Havent had the same Problem with the G37, normally I would take the nozzle out and put it in and out and mess with it, and it would let me put more gas, This usually solves the problem for Temporary until you go to a Dealer
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
go4gr8

Originally Posted by mal_TX
Pressure builds up and triggers the "it's full" cut-off on the pump.
Solution -- Pump slower -- from the beginning -- to avoid the pressure build-up. If you go too fast and it builds up, wait a bit and then resume pumping, but slower. You need the pressure to go away and then you need to make sure not to re-trigger it.
Yeah..this sounds familiar to..umm.. -->
Old 12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
mal_TX

hahahahaha LOL!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
jnifong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, it's happened on my 91 civic, my Z when i had it, and my girl's mazda 3 and her old focus. I'm sure it'll happen on my G37, too. This is all usually at the same gas station. i wouldn't say so much that it's the car but a combination of the car's fuel neck design and the pump. Pumping slower does help so the pressure doesn't build up.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its one of two things. If you were having this problem at only one station i would say its there pump. but i am sure you tried other ones. The problem is there is a vent hole in the fuel system that allows the air to get out while filling. Some times if the pressure gets too high too fast the hole closes up and bam your fake full. My fathers Porsche turbo has this issue sometimes. He will be filling and bam after a few gallons it stops and wont let him fill anymore. The dealer replaced the vent system but the problem still happened. So he had to change his pumping habits. You need to pump slower. It should kill your problem...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
its one of two things. If you were having this problem at only one station i would say its there pump. but i am sure you tried other ones. The problem is there is a vent hole in the fuel system that allows the air to get out while filling. Some times if the pressure gets too high too fast the hole closes up and bam your fake full. My fathers Porsche turbo has this issue sometimes. He will be filling and bam after a few gallons it stops and wont let him fill anymore. The dealer replaced the vent system but the problem still happened. So he had to change his pumping habits. You need to pump slower. It should kill your problem...
You guys all mention pumping slower, but I am not exactly standing outside in Freezing Whether Manually Pumping it, I push the Lever And leave it in Auto
Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raheel
You guys all mention pumping slower, but I am not exactly standing outside in Freezing Whether Manually Pumping it, I push the Lever And leave it in Auto
ok but most auto pumps have different settings. i.e. most stations i go to have like 4 different levels of auto pump...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
ok but most auto pumps have different settings. i.e. most stations i go to have like 4 different levels of auto pump...
Really? Either I never Noticed this (DOH!) or where I go they dont have it, will keep this in mind next time, but its not like I have had this problem yet
Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The sensor just needs to be replaced.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Dxb2

my m45 did couple of times ,My friends 2005 g35 is facing the same problem too.. Dunno whats wrong with the infiniti's
Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 AM
peterbanks

Nothing to do with a Sensor in the Car

It has more to do with the shape of the tank, and the speed of the pump.

Read this:

Why do Gas Pumps shut off mid-fill? It happens because as the fuel goes into the tank it splashes and bubbles. As the tank gets closer to being full, the displacement caused by the bubbles forces the gas to go up the pipe that feeds the tank and triggers the "full" switch on the pump nozzle. This is similar to if you are filling up a cup of cola at a restaurant, you have to wait for the fizz to die down before you can put that last 1/4 in.

Now this:

Automatic shut-off design
As gasoline flows through a nozzle, it passes through a venturi that creates a vacuum. This vacuum is bled off through a tube inside the nozzle spout. Turn a spout over and you'll see the sensing hole that connects to this tube. Look inside the spout and you’ll see this connection.

As gasoline flows through the venturi, the air is being sucked in through this sensing hole, through the tube and back up to the venturi. So as gasoline is flowing out the nozzle, air is flowing in the sensing hole (bleeding off the vacuum), getting mixed into the gasoline at the venturi and moving back out with the gasoline. Everything is in balance.

When the car's tank is full, the level of gasoline rises in the fill pipe of the car and covers the sensing hole. The flow of air is effectively shut off and the venturi sets off a chain reaction in the automatic shut-off portion of the nozzle. As the vacuum in the venturi area builds, the diaphragm (which is connected to the venturi) begins to sense a higher vacuum. Once this vacuum reaches a pre-set level, the diaphragm moves, causing the nozzle to trip off. We refer to this as an automatic shut-off mechanism. Once again, everything is in balance.

Last edited by peterbanks; 12-07-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:50 AM
porcupine

Thanks Peterbanks for doing what i was planning on doing yet never had time. This discussion about the sensor in the car being faulty was driving me bananas. This should shut down this silly thread once and for all

Quick Reply: Car won't let me pump gas