Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Don't Use Nissan OEM Oil Filters (Long Post - Lotsa Pics)

Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 AM
roydiculous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone cut up the first filter (after use) that is on the engine. I am curious as to how many shavings and other stuff is in that first filter. If I have some time, I'll tell my dealer to give me the old filter instead of throwing it away after my first oil change at 3,750 and cut it up and take pictures.

Although I think it'd be super messy.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 AM
todd92

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Well, I am not getting in a pissing match here. I agree with most of what you said except the fact about any after market filter. I never said none of them were good, just that they all are not the same nor perform to factory spec. If you do race and rebuild engines, then I am sure you would be concerned with variating oil pressure with in the engine. I have had some after markets give me more than I should and some give me less than I should. I wouldn't worry about it too much on this car, but any high performance, I would rather not chance it and tempt spinning bearings due to lack of proper lubrication. So, MY bubble is still intact from personal experience!
Hey, no problem. A thought on observed oil pressure vs brand of filter, keep in mind an engine will tolerate a wide range of oil pressures and not know the difference. A change in oil pressure due to a different filter vs the OEM filter isn't going to be a big enough change to be that meaningful. Peace.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 AM
todd92

Originally Posted by roydiculous
Has anyone cut up the first filter (after use) that is on the engine. I am curious as to how many shavings and other stuff is in that first filter. If I have some time, I'll tell my dealer to give me the old filter instead of throwing it away after my first oil change at 3,750 and cut it up and take pictures.

Although I think it'd be super messy.
We still cut open filters on airplane engines, because they can 'make metal'. But they are an 70 year old air cooled design. Modern car engines don't 'make metal'. If you want to amuse yourself, go ahead and cut your filters open and look. You will never see anything.

And it is super messy.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 AM
MoonRiver

After 5 month, 1759 miles

I yesterday replaced the OEM filter, the exactly the same one we're talking about, on my 07 G35. Here how it looked after 5 month, 1759 miles use.

Integrity of the end pieces were intact, except color changed along with the oil.

the filter element was still in good shape. I cut off a few pieces just to look at it, it didn't feel mooshy,

Anti drainback valve didn't loose its elasticity, bypass valve wasn't broken, as I expected

It's survived, but I don't know how well it's filtered out the micro dirts in oil though.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MoonRiver
I yesterday replaced the OEM filter, the exactly the same one we're talking about, on my 07 G35. Here how it looked after 5 month, 1759 miles use.

Integrity of the end pieces were intact, except color changed along with the oil.

the filter element was still in good shape. I cut off a few pieces just to look at it, it didn't feel mooshy,

Anti drainback valve didn't loose its elasticity, bypass valve wasn't broken, as I expected

It's survived, but I don't know how well it's filtered out the micro dirts in oil though.
looks pretty good to me, i change my oil ever 3k so the nissan does the job for me
Old 05-11-2008, 02:46 PM
wrathletik1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You only put 1759 miles in 5 months? I thought I didn't drive much, but you hardly EVER drive lol.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:04 PM
MoonRiver

I only drive it to work where it's only 5 miles away, plus I work 4/10, so two things together make my G sit in my garage most of the time. It's first year only put 3000 miles on it.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
12fear

What a waste of time for someone to be arguing about what filter to use. I believe that any oil filter is ok just as long as you change your oil every three months or every 3500 miles. It doesnt matter what filter you use, an oil filter is just a filter.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

its harder on your car driving short distances since the car never really warms up fully...

its also an oil change every 3 months or mileage...
Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
coladin

The first car engine to fail due to an oil filter will be the first. I bet you can probably use one oil filter for the entire life of your vehicle before it fails. I used to work at a lube shop for 5 years and I remember this one guy who had a Ford pickup which went five years on his OEM filter. When we changed the oil he insisted that we remove the filter to drain it and rescrew it on. Don't ask me why but that guys is still driving around with that pickup which has over 250K miles and he says he has changed the filter 5 times!

Bottom line: this is much ado about nothing, and if you really think that an oil filter will have a direct consequence to something traginc happening to your engine, you might as well go buy a lottery ticket as your odds will be better in winning the lottery.

It was neat that someone went to the expense to open a filter, though.

However, for someone with zero mechanical experience or technical expertise to start a thread discouraging the use of a Nissan OEM is asking for it at worst if someone from Nissan reads this forum and at best needs to send in his application to 20/20 for the vacant position of investigative journalism! lol

Last edited by coladin; 05-19-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: because
Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
G37ster

It's good Moonriver has some photos. Anyone who looks at a cut up filter, says it's has a cardboard end cap or no metal backing so it is a bad filter, is ignorant. These parts don't do the filtering, the media is does, and unless you can test that, you can't comment. And pleat count is only one aspect. I don't hear the people who've always changed their oil with these type of filters, i.e. at Nissan, etc.. have engine problems....
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 AM
10G37S6MT

There seems to be a lot of disagreement over the legality/ability of Nissan to deny a warranty claim based on the of filter you use. This is directly from the Moss Magnuson Act:

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.

While I have not reviewed the case law on this topic, the text of the Act seems pretty clear that Nissan/Infiniti cannot deny a warranty claim for not using an OEM filter. That is not to say they won't try.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 PM
chuckhumprey
Banned

^ thanks for this, I am confused and worried that my warranty will void since I have changed a lot of my nissan parts.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:59 AM
MSCA
Banned

So some guy cuts open some oil filters and claims that there are less expensive aftermarket filters are superior to the OEM Nissan filter. Great. Thanks for the scientific (I hope you sense my sarcasm) analysis. Unfortunately, cutting open a filter and looking at its components doesn't tell us much at all. But if you think it does, then of course you can choose to use whatever filter makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

This entire thread is pathetic and quite typical when a bunch of guys get "together" on the Internet and debate about stuff that they really don't know much about.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:13 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
also I noticed the nissan filter has a round copper washer that is supposed to be tightend down with the drain plug. It was completly made of copper, my mechanic could not believe they use this. He tossed it & used a metal washer with a flat rubber on top & a metal bottom. I told him how some of the 37s had consumtion issues, he said nissan is retarted using that piece. The oil pan got a way better seal on it. He said using that little copper washer would just leak slowly,because you can't get a good seal with the copper wahser.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't Use Nissan OEM Oil Filters (Long Post - Lotsa Pics)