Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Don't Use Nissan OEM Oil Filters (Long Post - Lotsa Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor25
So you guys are saying that if I use a non-OEM oil filter Nissan won't honor warranty work?

Ahhhh!!! It's the end of the world! I better buy enough OEM oil filters to last me 60,000 miles!!! Ahhhh!!!

Btw, I never said that your engine would blow from using an OEM filter. I simply stated that I'd rather not use the OEM filter on my car (read my post above).
If something occured in your motor which was some how oil related. you better bet your *** infiniti will not fix it is you have an aftermarket filter. I used to be a service writer at a honda dealer and the first thing we were taught was to find something on the car so we would not have to do work on our dime. Its the name of the game dealers want your money.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
If something occured in your motor which was some how oil related. you better bet your *** infiniti will not fix it is you have an aftermarket filter. I used to be a service writer at a honda dealer and the first thing we were taught was to find something on the car so we would not have to do work on our dime. Its the name of the game dealers want your money.
Then I hope anyone would have enough common sense to slap an OEM filter on it before taking it to the dealer. We all know that any decent aftermarket filter is not going to be the cause of anything engine related unless it's defective and even then that would be a tremendous stretch. I'm not surprised but that is just a horrible thing to void a warranty over. I'd think it wouldn't hold up in court unless Nissan/Infiniti could prove that it was the cause of the failure, just like any other mod.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Motor25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but you're misinformed

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

Besides, if a dealer does warranty work, they get paid by the car manufacturer.

Google is your friend. Do some research before you make such ludicrous statements
Old 11-06-2007, 01:43 AM
UNV-IT46

Sorry, but you're misinformed

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

Besides, if a dealer does warranty work, they get paid by the car manufacturer.

Google is your friend. Do some research before you make such ludicrous statements
if their is a problem with your engine due to an oil related problem its very easy to proove that the after market filter contributed to the problem. Hense if you read your owners manual it says very clearly the use of non nissan factory genuine parts can lead to damage and can VOID YOUR WARRENTY.... reading is your friend...
Old 11-06-2007, 01:51 AM
SLaPiNFuNK

by the way the VQ has been with oil related problems in the past, and im not to sure how great they have been with the new VQ since its still very new,

but if what I am predicting is going to happen in relation to VQ related "recalls" due to oil consumption... Im sure they will pay very close attention to the little things to get out of paying a 8K warranty claim...

and by the way... simply showing receipts for purchasing oil filters and oil is not considered "proof" to a warranty company to show maintenance has been performed...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:20 AM
Motor25

if their is a problem with your engine due to an oil related problem its very easy to proove that the after market filter contributed to the problem. Hense if you read your owners manual it says very clearly the use of non nissan factory genuine parts can lead to damage and can VOID YOUR WARRENTY.... reading is your friend...

Really... how easy? Are you an engineer for Nissan? Did you come up with the specifications for the OEM oil filter?

What's your expertise/qualifications to make such statements? Last time I checked you were just a service writer for Honda. What was the most technical part of your job? Entering stuff into a computer?

My engine is gonna blow up because I used a non-OEM oil filter... AHHHHH!!!! Now tell me where's the sense in that?

Last edited by Motor25; 11-06-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Motor25

Originally Posted by SLaPiNFuNK
and by the way... simply showing receipts for purchasing oil filters and oil is not considered "proof" to a warranty company to show maintenance has been performed...
So you're saying that people who change their own oil are screwed because they don't take them to the dealer?

Stop spreading this nonsense please
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 AM
SLaPiNFuNK

So you're saying that people who change their own oil are screwed because they don't take them to the dealer?

Stop spreading this nonsense please

Its actually not nonsense at all...

Doesnt matter if it is at a dealer... but with a company that can show record documenting your VIN number with Mileage...

This will apply to warranty repairs that require proof of the "Minimum required maintenances" being performed.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Motor25

Its actually not nonsense at all...

Doesnt matter if it is at a dealer... but with a company that can show record documenting your VIN number with Mileage...

This will apply to warranty repairs that require proof of the "Minimum required maintenances" being performed.
According to UNV-IT46, if I use a non-OEM oil filter in my car, my warranty is VOID, because it can damage my car. So if I take my car to a Jiffy Lube (who doesn't use OEM Nissan filters) my warranty will be void, even though they record my VIN# and mileage.

That's just ludicrous
Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM
SLaPiNFuNK

According to UNV-IT46, if I use a non-OEM oil filter in my car, my warranty is VOID, because it can damage my car. So if I take my car to a Jiffy Lube (who doesn't use OEM Nissan filters) my warranty will be void, even though they record my VIN# and mileage.

That's just ludicrous

No just because you are not using an OEM oil filter your warranty on the engine is not void... Though you must show a service record...

IF you have a problem say with a leak around where the oil filter mounts, it will not be covered under warranty, they will put it on the oil filter...

IF you have a problem say with a leak on your valve cover with an after market oil filter... The problem will be covered and fixed...

It will have to be something where the aftermarket product is being the direct cause of the failure...

But in a case where you may need a new engine due to oil consumption, they may TRY to pin it on an aftermarket oil filter or something petty like that IF a NISSN REP comes out to the dealer to check (which they do at times). But, they may very well ask for service RECORDS, not purchase receipts...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 PM
UNV-IT46

That's just ludicrous
I did not say just becuase you use a non oem filter your warrenty is already void. But i did state and stand by what i said the if a problem can be related to you having an non oem filter. They will do everything in their power to not fix your car.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I did not say just becuase you use a non oem filter your warrenty is already void. But i did state and stand by what i said the if a problem can be related to you having an non oem filter. They will do everything in their power to not fix your car.
If I have a defective aftermarket filter that screws up my engine I can undersatand this logic. But I have to question would they have any valid legal basis to void my warranty claim if the car was properly maintained (i.e. normal regular oil change intervals, correct type and amount of oil, and aftermarket filter specific to this application)? How does the manufacturer of the filter (OEM vs aftermarket) relate to the cause of the failure if the filter is functining properly? In other words how would they reasonably show that the brand of filter alone was a factor in any failure?

No just because you are not using an OEM oil filter your warranty on the engine is not void... Though you must show a service record...
What basis do you have for claiming this? So if I change my own oil at every recommended interval with the proper oil and filter but I don't pay Jiffy Lube or some other entity to do it, my warranty is void because I don't have a "service record"? If this is correct, tell me where I can go to read up on this, becasue I've never heard of such a thing... at least not with any credibility...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

Originally Posted by Black Betty
If I have a defective aftermarket filter that screws up my engine I can undersatand this logic. But I have to question would they have any valid legal basis to void my warranty claim if the car was properly maintained (i.e. normal regular oil change intervals, correct type and amount of oil, and aftermarket filter specific to this application)? How does the manufacturer of the filter (OEM vs aftermarket) relate to the cause of the failure if the filter is functining properly? In other words how would they reasonably show that the brand of filter alone was a factor in any failure?

What basis do you have for claiming this? So if I change my own oil at every recommended interval with the proper oil and filter but I don't pay Jiffy Lube or some other entity to do it, my warranty is void because I don't have a "service record"? If this is correct, tell me where I can go to read up on this, becasue I've never heard of such a thing... at least not with any credibility...
years of experience in NISSAN / INFINITI Parts departments & writing service for NISSAN / INFINITI...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

years of experience in NISSAN / INFINITI Parts departments & writing service for NISSAN / INFINITI...
In your years of experience, how many people had a warranty claim actually denied by Nissan/Infiniti for using an oil filter other than OEM that wasn't found to be defective?

How many of those brought legal action against Nissan/Infiniti for denial fo claims?

How many won?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

NOT EVERY SINGLE WARRANTY CLAIM requires service records!

I am just stating that there is a possiblity...

I have done a few motor claims (and its usually on higher mileage vehicles) where service records are required... Not alot, but there are some where it is required... Most defilnately for 3rd party warranty company's... they do everything possible to get out of doing a claim and paying the minimum...

If you always bring your car to an INFINTII Dealer, its easy to get since any time your car has a Repair Order written on it at an INFINITI Dealer, the record can be brought up at ANY infiniti dealer...

This is not the same with NISSAN since their computer systems are all indepedant...

Once again... I am just saying that there is a chance of them asking for the RECORDS and I am just stating that purchase of an oil filter and some oil is not a LEGAL BINDING DOCUMENT that the service was performed at a SPECIFIC mileage...

Call INFINITI Consumer Affairs and talk to someone about terms of warranty...

Infiniti Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin TN 37068-5003
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

Hopefully you will not have a problem that will require a through investigation by INFINITI / NISSAN... I am just stating that there is a chance they will ask for it and it does happen...

Quick Reply: Don't Use Nissan OEM Oil Filters (Long Post - Lotsa Pics)