ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

AEM FI/C, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
AEM FI/C, thoughts?

So as I compile parts for my RMT (rear mount turbo) I am about to the point where I need to decide on tuning. Since I have an '08 my only flash option is UpRev and all I hear on the 370 boards is to steer clear of boost with them and go full standalone. I think a full standalone is too far over the top. Our ECU controls 1000 things and I only want to change like 5 of them. So, I was thinking, AEM makes a Fuel and Ignition Controller that, after a ton of review, seems to do exactly what I want. It intercepts the signal to the ignition, injectors and MAF and tunes how I need, all while the ECU thinks everything is just fine. Does anyone have experience with this on any car at all? There are tons of YouTube videos of installs on all kinds of NA factory cars with turbo kits and running on the dyno or streets just fine.

** I value my car and want it to run well but I enjoy going against the grain and refuse to pay $3-4k on a stand alone ECU and tuning. Its just not feasible or reasonable for only needing 8-12 psi on pump gas.

So whatcha guys think, positive or negative lay it on me..

Check it out: https://www.maperformance.com/produc...em-electronics

Last edited by Kris9884; 10-28-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I have an '08 and am on UpRev, while it doesn't offer all the features that Ecutek does, it still is fine. If you really wanted Ecutek get an ECU from a similar '09-'11 and then flash Ecutek on it.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Kris9884

Originally Posted by Waste86
I have an '08 and am on UpRev, while it doesn't offer all the features that Ecutek does, it still is fine. If you really wanted Ecutek get an ECU from a similar '09-'11 and then flash Ecutek on it.
Are you running boost on UpRev? If so tell me more...

Yeah I looked into the ECU swap but I have a 5AT and that seemed to remove all chances.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris9884
Are you running boost on UpRev? If so tell me more...

Yeah I looked into the ECU swap but I have a 5AT and that seemed to remove all chances.

Oh dang the 5AT! That is unfortunate. While you can't run boost by gear like in Ecutek, having a good timing map and boost controller is all you need to keep from grenading the engine. Just run 2 maps on my boost controller, wastegate pressure (6.4) and high boost (13). Both use the same Uprev map.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Kris9884

Yeah I was going to do a 6 speed swap but after driving the twisties with the paddle shifters I'll never go back, its amazing. I also have a TransGo shift kit that shifts faster than I ever could in a stick so I have no regrets.

As for the tuning, I just spoke to the main Z tuner guy in town and suggested for my situation to go with MapECU3. If nothing else, it replaces the MAF with MAP all together and I can run flex fuel later so, I'm sold lol. MapECU it is..