Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Level 10 Bullet Proof Transmission (7AT)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:06 AM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Level 10 Bullet Proof Transmission (7AT)

A little introduction:

I got used to the NA power of the G and decided to go the forced induction route. I purchased the stillen supercharger with the oil and trans coolers (7AT). Dyno day comes and guess what happens? The transmission slips!

What's next??

I started doing some research about what my next step should be. Do I want to just get another used transmission with low miles, do a valve body upgrade and hope it holds up? I decided to go with fully building it because i just didn't want to be afraid of the transmission slipping again. I wanted to enjoy it as much as i can without fear.

The decision:

I decided to go Level 10 because of a member on here that had a good experience with them.
I called Pat (the owner) and he recommended their bullet proof transmission not only for the fact that it will have no problem with the power but also for how the transmission is going to feel overall. I was already unhappy with how slow my transmission shifting back when it was still NA so knowing that it was going to feel completely different was definitely a plus. I arranged for the transmission to get shipped out to him in New Jersey. A week later, transmission was done and ready to be installed.

First Impression:

Transmission initially felt amazing!!! Shifts were sharp, clean, and very accurate unlike my old, confused slow shifting transmission. At no point did the transmission feel hesitant at all.

Here we go again:

I was cruising home on the freeway and the transmission "popped out of gear". Basically, it felt like it was in neutral. I tried to actually put in neutral and back in D which made no difference so i decided to pull over and turn the car off and back on and try driving it again and it did but the issue continued to occur. I decided that having to constantly pull over isn't the safest thing to do.

Diagnosis:

I contacted Pat and let him know what happened. We decided that it was best to have the car shipped out to him. He offered to pay for half the shipping (which he absolutely didn't have to do since it was my responsibility to get the car to him). Car gets there and pat calls me a few days later and tells me that the TCM wasn't communicating with the ECM from tuning errors (a lot of the tuning files were "corrupt" as he described) which caused 6th and 7th gear to burn out. He pulled the transmission out and rebuilt it. He also fixed the tune and all of it was free of charge.

Level 10 review:

I don't think there are enough kind words in the English dictionary to describe their customer service. Pat was truly looking out for my best interest. He was always very respectful and patient no matter how many questions I asked. He emailed me everyday updating me about the car and he's very knowledgable as well. He also paid for half the shipping when I sent the car to him and charged me nothing for rebuilding the transmission again. He also didn't charge me anything for fixing the tune errors. Once again, these were all tuner errors, which means he wasn't obligated to do any of this work for free. It would have been 100% fair for him to charge me for everything but he decided not to.

Would I recommend them?

Hell yes I would recommend them!!! Great customer service, great pricing and above all, you are dealing with a person that puts customer service as his number one priority instead of just wanting what's in your wallet.

Tips for future customers:

If you decide to go with level 10 (I have no idea why you would pick anyone else!), I recommend that you send the whole car out to them instead of just the transmission. Depending on where you live, it could cost a little more or even a little less. I say this because it's better for them to have the car at their shop to test drive and make sure no issues come up after the install than to have to keep pulling the transmission out which will get really expensive really fast.

Sorry for the extremely long write-up! I wanted to be as detailed and as complete as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Level 10 Bullet Proof Transmission (7AT)-g37fast.jpg   Level 10 Bullet Proof Transmission (7AT)-g37fast-2.jpg   Level 10 Bullet Proof Transmission (7AT)-g37fast3.jpg  

Last edited by msonbolg37x; 04-10-2016 at 03:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Roadrash666 (05-24-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
How did the corrupt files get there?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Previous tuner that tuned it after the supercharger installation. He had a few ideas of why they were corrupt but no definitive answer.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Great write up! I gave them a review on here as well with almost an identical story. Pat and Level 10 are amazing. Not only do they do A+ work but they go above and beyond for their customers! Glad to see another Level 10 built 7AT!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Good to know if I ever choose to go the FI route!