Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review 4.08 Ring & Pinion Swap, she's alive!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I've never seen a journey diff off a G37 but I don't see why it should be a problem. Just make sure it has the 3 bolt flange (triangular one)
The following users liked this post:
09ChiG37 (10-10-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 05:28 PM
G370Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you remember the exact size of the shim you had to order from Nissan to set the lash adjustments after installing the new ring and pinion? I wish the mechanic didn't have to take these precise measurements and have to order in the part. Just creates more downtime and possibly labor costs.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Every housing HAS to be custom fitted. If he didn't, and slapped in a shim from another's build, and it whined or broke you would be most upset then.

Just hang tight. He's doing it right.

Coop
The following users liked this post:
G37Sam (10-09-2013)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:07 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Ok so question. I'm preparing to do this swap and have been going off three lists; z1motorsports, thenismoshop, and Sam's list. Three parts that are certain:

-pinion front bearing
-pinion rear bearing
-pinion oil deal.

Where the lists differ:

Thenismoshop:-
-2x side carrier bearings
-2x side carrier oil seals
-2x drain plug washers

Z1motorsports:-
-2x side carrier bearings
-2x side carrier oil seals
-pinion crush sleeve

Sam's list:-
-washer adjustment
-pinion lock nut
-differential spacer

Of these optional items, what else should i buy? The pinion oil seal, front pinion gear bearing, rear pinion gear bearing, differential side oil seals and the pinion lock nut. Do i need anything else???

Thanks in advance.

PS. I also got white line kdt911 differential bushings to tighten up my rear end.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:11 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Nvm. I'm buying all of them. Won't hurt I guess.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM
beers64

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
So I am planning on doing this as well. I'm pretty sure I understand most/all of what I need. I have an 08 5AT. I'm understanding I need to obtain a diff from a MT so the 4.08 gears will fit. I'm going to get the gears and install kit 1 and 2 from Z1. I'm also going to get the whiteline bushings to install at the same time. I'm also getting the new MT housing has a 4 bolt flange where my current 5AT has a 3 bolt so I will need the rear section of the driveshaft from the MT to bolt up.

Here's my question I'm hoping someone can answer. I was actually planning on getting the one piece carbon fiber driveshaft from PST. If i do get this i would have to order it as if i had the MT so the rear flange would match up. If i do this will it still line up on the front or is this completely different. Any info/help on this would be apprecaited.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I think you'll need to tell the Driveshaft Shop that you need an AT driveshaft with an MT flange on the diff side. They'll know because they sell both driveshafts for both MT and AT G37's:

The Driveshaft Shop | Inifiniti - Import Driveshafts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
The following 2 users liked this post by G37Sam:
beers64 (03-24-2015), PongSanity (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 05:33 PM
beers64

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I think you'll need to tell the Driveshaft Shop that you need an AT driveshaft with an MT flange on the diff side. They'll know because they sell both driveshafts for both MT and AT G37's:

The Driveshaft Shop | Inifiniti - Import Driveshafts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
Ok, well that does make perfect sense. Since I would be swapping to the MT diff and the flange is different, does anyone know if this flange sticks out farther or is closer to the transmission than the 3 bolt flange on the 5AT..basically what I'm asking is, is the driveshaft shorter because the mt flange sticks out farther?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:31 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Would this swap void the warranty?

Would a dealership even know that this had been done?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:20 AM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
Would this swap void the warranty?

Would a dealership even know that this had been done?
I've had 4.08 gears on my previous Infiniti. Nobody at the dealership had any clue that if was installed and even if they did there's no way that would void the warranty. It's like replacing worn tires with a new set that is rated for higher speed.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 AM
beers64

Originally Posted by serega13
I've had 4.08 gears on my previous Infiniti. Nobody at the dealership had any clue that if was installed and even if they did there's no way that would void the warranty. It's like replacing worn tires with a new set that is rated for higher speed.

I work at a dealership, not infiniti though so not sure if it's different. But they can absolutely void the warranty if they knew about it and wanted to. Not the entire warranty, but on associated components like diff, driveshaft, and even trans. That's if they were being d**ks though. All they would need to say is it changed the shift patterns and way the vehicle drives/performs and that would be enough.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:02 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by beers64
I work at a dealership, not infiniti though so not sure if it's different. But they can absolutely void the warranty if they knew about it and wanted to. Not the entire warranty, but on associated components like diff, driveshaft, and even trans. That's if they were being d**ks though. All they would need to say is it changed the shift patterns and way the vehicle drives/performs and that would be enough.
It would be nearly impossible for them to tell that the gears are different, the only thing that would give it away is 200 or so higher rpms. Nearly impossible to tell just by driving the car into the garage. Second the burden of proof is on the dealership, they would have to prove that the different gears caused whatever other issue and even if they proved it, just the warranty on the parts connected to the gearing would be void. Of course they could be d*cks and flat out deny the coverage but if I knew I was in the right I could be a d*ck too and hire a lawayer who would prove that the modifications were not the cause of the neccessary repair on the basis of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, then they would pay for the repair, for my lawyer, for their lawyer and for punitive damages. Once they go through something like that, they would think twice about denying any coverage ever again.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:15 PM
beers64

Originally Posted by serega13
It would be nearly impossible for them to tell that the gears are different, the only thing that would give it away is 200 or so higher rpms. Nearly impossible to tell just by driving the car into the garage. Second the burden of proof is on the dealership, they would have to prove that the different gears caused whatever other issue and even if they proved it, just the warranty on the parts connected to the gearing would be void. Of course they could be d*cks and flat out deny the coverage but if I knew I was in the right I could be a d*ck too and hire a lawayer who would prove that the modifications were not the cause of the neccessary repair on the basis of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, then they would pay for the repair, for my lawyer, for their lawyer and for punitive damages. Once they go through something like that, they would think twice about denying any coverage ever again.
The issue with this is most people don't feel like or are incapable of going through litigation like this. And if in the off chance they lose they are out the cost of this long and drawn out court case. Also, the dealer won't think about it again because it's Infiniti's warranty not the dealers. This means your fight/litigation would be with Infiniti and not affect the dealer one bit whether or not you win or lose. And as far as burden of proof, you are correct about that as well, as far as a court case goes. However if it never goes to court because that person doesn't want to or can't pursue that avenue the dealer can simply say no you messed with it we won't honor the warranty that we as a dealer are facilitating through Infiniti. Ultimately gears sound like an amazing mod and I can't wait to do mine. However if your concern is about warranty then you may want to hold off. The likeliness of them noticing the gears or denying warranty because of them is probably slim, but it can be done. And if that does happen then you should be prepared to take it to litigation like the previous commenter stated.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
beers64

If you like understeer, though, think about ordering Infiniti's new four-wheel steering system, which is only available as an option on Sport models. A computer monitors the car's speed and yaw, among other parameters, and activates the rear steering mechanism--which moves the rear spring seats up to one degree in either direction--above 35 mph. We found that the system exacerbated the push to an uncomfortable level, to the point where we were fighting to keep the car from going wide of our intended line exiting every corner. The system is intended, we suppose, for folks who don't know what they're doing, and it'll probably prevent a few people from swapping the G37's front for its rear, but the crab-walk effect we experienced feels artificial and unsettling.

That was a paragraph from an article in car and driver. Reason I'm bringing that up is for the rear wheel "steering" aspect. I have a 5at and will obviously be switching to a MT diff for this swap. Does anyone know if this rear steering situation will be affected or cause any issues?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Sam,
Please let me know if I am correct with this; since I have a 6MT my diff doesn't have the centering shaft right? If I wanted to switch to the AT diff for the 3.3 gears I think I would need to cut the centering shaft off and swap the pinion flanges - would this work?

Last edited by ttv36; 05-05-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Review 4.08 Ring & Pinion Swap, she's alive!