D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Third Brake Light Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Third Brake Light Flasher

Here's my first DIY contribution to the forums!

I recently installed a brake light flasher module on my CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp) in the spoiler of my coupe. As a Firefighter and EMT I have seen the worst of the worst when it comes to bad and distracted drivers. I figure that any measure of safety helps; and making myself more visible when braking just may keep me from being rear-ended by some chucklehead that wasn't focusing on the task at hand.

I came across this little module on Amazon for about $30. It not only flashes whatever light you have it connected to, it also has an accelerometer in it so that it can vary the flash response depending on how hard you've applied the brakes.

Tools required:
  • Flathead screwdriver or clip removal tool
  • Wire stripper/crimper
  • Double sided foam tape
  • Small zip ties

Wiring diagram

Installation

Remove the trunk liner

Disconnect the center tail light plug from the harness. The clip is on the back side

Strip back the plastic sheath around the wires. Black is ground and Green is +12VDC

Attach included T-Tap connector to the black wire of the brake light and the black wire of the flasher module

Cut green wire of the brake light and strip back about a quarter inch of insulation on each end

Crimp the included male bullet connectors onto either end of the green brake light wire

Crimp the included female bullet connectors onto the yellow and red wires of the flasher module (You may want to strip back some additional insulation on them)

Connect the male and female connectors, then plug the brake light plug back into the harness

Use double sided foam tape to attach the flasher module to a surface that will be parallel to the road while the vehicle is in motion (this is so the accelerometer can sense the change in velocity correctly) Use zip ties to tidy things up

At this point, you can configure the module's settings or just leave them as is. Once it is set to your liking, put the trunk liner back on and admire your work!

Old 12-01-2016, 09:59 AM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
pretty innovative, cool mod!
The following users liked this post:
Sean Benson (06-08-2019)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I can't tell for certain from your video, but flashing brake lights are illegal, pulsing ones are not. The difference is more than semantics. If it flashes on and off repeatedly it is illegal (except for emergency vehicles - you should know that). If it illuminates steadily while the brake is engaged and pluses brighter and dimmer, that is different and is legal. A company called Pulse offers this.

Does your mod pulse or flash?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I can't tell for certain from your video, but flashing brake lights are illegal, pulsing ones are not. The difference is more than semantics. If it flashes on and off repeatedly it is illegal (except for emergency vehicles - you should know that). If it illuminates steadily while the brake is engaged and pulses brighter and dimmer, that is different and is legal. A company called Pulse offers this.

Does your mod pulse or flash?
The current setting flashes the light. I believe that one of the many options for this module includes a steady burn with pulsing at a higher brightness. This and several other parameters I plan on adjusting at some point. I would like a lower number of blinks before it burns steadily. Whether or not the led module in the spoiler can be driven with a lower voltage to give a dimmer light is unknown at this time.

As far as flashing being illegal, I believe it would depend on the state. Even if it is part of a DOT regulation, if there is not a state level statute defining penalties for violating it then it is not a ticketable offense. That's why around here people run around with HID bulbs in reflector style housings (which is a violation of DOT regulation) but they can't be pulled over for it. Since you've mentioned it, I've been poking around the IC Title 9 stuff that deals with motor vehicle laws in Indiana but I haven't found anything yet.

Also, once I get around to it, I'll put my blue lights in this car. In Indiana, firefighters are authorized to run blue lights and strobes while en route to calls.

Here are a couple videos of when I had them in my Benz and Evo:

Last edited by Arxylis; 12-01-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 12-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Here are my state's laws on brake lights. Nothing about flashing, just color and visibility. This will most certainly vary by state, so make sure that you're in the clear before doing a mod like this.

IC 9-19-6-17
Stop lamps and turn signals; color, visibility, and operation
Sec. 17. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped, and when required under this chapter must be equipped, with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle that:
(1) displays a red or an amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred (100) feet to the rear in normal sunlight;
(2) will be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake; and
(3) may be incorporated with at least one (1) other rear lamp.
(b) A motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter must be equipped with lamps or mechanical signal devices showing to the front and rear for the purpose of indicating an intention to turn either to the right or left. If lamps are used for this purpose, the lamps showing to the front must be located on the same

level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and when in use must display a white or an amber light, or any shade of color between white and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred (100) feet to the front in normal sunlight. The lamps showing to the rear must be located at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and when in use must display a red or an amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred (100) feet to the rear in normal sunlight. When actuated the lamps must indicate the intended direction of turning by flashing the lights showing to the front and rear on the side toward which the turn is made. If mechanical signal devices are used for this purpose, the devices must be self-illuminated when in use at the times required by IC 9-21-7-2.
(c) A stop lamp or signal lamp or device may not project a glaring light.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.1-1991, SEC.93.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:34 PM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the Okla/Tx area and have noticed a lot of new cars where the 3rd brake light will flash(maybe its a pluse) but at a glance appears to flash a few times when the brake lights first illuminate then go steady. I honestly thought it was a new OEM feature on some new production models. Seems like a good idea to me.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Ra_BiiGGa

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
looks pretty sick imo

Trending Topics

Old 12-25-2016, 10:15 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Ra_BiiGGa
looks pretty sick imo
I second that opinion to bad I dont have that on my sedan lol.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by flipmode007
I second that opinion to bad I dont have that on my sedan lol.
The installation for the sedan would be almost identical, just the location of the third brake light is different.