D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY AT shift knob replacement (B2Autodesign model)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
DIY AT shift **** replacement (B2Autodesign model)

First off, want to say thanks to Charles @ B2 Autodesigns for getting us a nice price on this high quality part. The shift **** comes well packaged and is machined to a high quality fit & finish.

This is my version of the install, there are a few ways to handle the mating of the shift boot.
Keep in mind, if you cut the OEM boot I'm not sure you can buy just the boot from Infiniti/Nissan, the whole shift column/panel is quite expensive, just want to give a heads up. If anyone can verify if you can indeed just buy the boot, let us know.

Here's some install pics & info~

To remove the OEM ****, just hold the collar on both sides and firmly press down, the collar will snap off and you can slide the boot down to expose the "U" clip.
Just pull the 2 outward prongs out and slide the clip back, then just pull up on the **** to remove, then replace that clip back on the **** since it's very small (and probably costly to replace).

Name:  100_3447_zpstsub1x86.jpg
Views: 77460
Size:  187.0 KB

Once you get the **** off you need to remove the shift console cover, this is simple but you MUST use a plastic pry tool of some sort, I have a variety of these cheap Harbor Freight body panel tools that I use. If all you have is a small screwdriver try to protect the panels by using a couple thin credit cards on the outside of the screwdriver head. You then just pry up in each rear corner to release the pawls.

Name:  100_3448_zpsp7y37uor.jpg
Views: 76875
Size:  308.3 KB

Once you get the back of the panel lifted you then need to pull down on the front (above the ashtray). You then need to move the shifter into neutral, just push the white release rod to get out of park. Once in neutral you can then get the cover up and over the shifter, just be careful not to pull on the wiring. Just set it on its' side and pull the boot inside-out so you can cut the zip tie that holds the collar, need a sharp exacto blade to cut it clean, be careful as you don't want to cut the boot

Name:  100_3450_zpswhnnqrey.jpg
Views: 76098
Size:  208.6 KB

After you cut the zip tie you can decide what you want to do w/ the mating of the boot. After some trial & error I decided to remove the OEM collar and pull the boot up to the straight section of the shift ****. This setup allows the boot to be in the best place without interfering w/ shifting.

The black plastic sleeve goes inside the collar w/ the 2 set screws. This is a very tight fit, which is good, but you need to get it down just far enough, otherwise you'll have to use a gear puller to get the collar back up (don't ask me how I know )

Once you decide on your boot setup, put the boot back over the shift rod, then put the panel loosely back in place

Put threaded lower tapered piece on first

You set it up so the LONG set screws are at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock when looking straight down the shift rod. You place the plastic sleeve just barely on the rod w/ the full cutout at 12 and the half cutout at 3, the cutout MUST be on top w/ the closed section facing downward, this will allow the sleeve to slide down w/ the collar when the set screw is inserted and tightened down just enough to contact the shift rod, hopefully this makes sense.
Name:  100_3451_zpsseockyfr.jpg
Views: 77847
Size:  170.2 KB
Use a extended socket to careful hammer the collar down, be sure the plastic sleeve is lined up properly and the 3 oclock set scre is in far enough to hold the sleeve as you hammer it down.

Name:  100_3454_zpswis724xp.jpg
Views: 79276
Size:  194.0 KB

Be SURE to only go down this far (5/8") (again, don't ask me how I know).
Name:  100_3466_zpsjhyzlnbk.jpg
Views: 77498
Size:  133.3 KB
Once you get it to the proper depth you then change the long set screws for the shorter ones, then just tighten them up real snug

I then like to apply teflon tape to the threads just to make it easier to engage and remove.

Name:  100_3461_zpshms7gmwk.jpg
Views: 76912
Size:  105.5 KB

You then install spring and thread the **** on, pull the boot up, and presto! The zip tie is temporary FWIW, I think I'll be using a thin amount of the boot and put it right above the tapered piece and just clamp it down by threading the **** down on it.

Name:  100_3479_zpspkvpkkwd.jpg
Views: 77374
Size:  165.0 KB

Name:  100_3478_zpsasn6n8cq.jpg
Views: 76170
Size:  211.6 KB

Name:  100_3480_zpseauhfrdp.jpg
Views: 79518
Size:  251.4 KB

If any of you get this **** and try a different boot mount please post up pics & info on this thread, would be nice to see what other options you can try.
Brad

Took about 90 minutes FWIW.

Last edited by blnewt; 09-29-2015 at 09:07 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by blnewt:
b2autodesigns (09-30-2015), ColumbiaSkinny (09-29-2015), Craze (09-30-2015), GeezerB (09-29-2015), Mr.Grant (09-29-2015), TBau651 (02-01-2016), VIVID (09-29-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
That iteration looks the best so far. In fact it looks great. I like how the shift **** plays off the radio and CC *****. Very clean and classy.

Sean
Old 09-29-2015, 11:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by VIVID
That iteration looks the best so far. In fact it looks great. I like how the shift **** plays off the radio and CC *****. Very clean and classy.

Sean
Thanks a lot Sean. Have you got yours delivered yet? It's funny how bold the B2 Designs lettering looks in those pics, it's much more subtle when you see it for real.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:52 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Originally Posted by blnewt
Thanks a lot Sean. Have you got yours delivered yet? It's funny how bold the B2 Designs lettering looks in those pics, it's much more subtle when you see it for real.
I haven't received mine yet. I'm sure it will be here in the next day or two. Charles was able to find one last black one for me so I'll be happy waiting for a while.

Should be a different look. Get's me off the Carsmo hook LOL. I'll post pics.

The pic on the B2 site doesn't show any insignia, but the accompanying text indicates it has. But it also says the black finish has an anodized silver finish. Probably a cut-and-paste goof.

We'll find out soon. Either way I'm happy.

Sean

Last edited by VIVID; 09-29-2015 at 11:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Craze
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
good job,ill be doing something similiar real soon,would definitely like to see how it looks once you tuck the boot into the bottom of the shifter
Old 10-01-2015, 12:30 AM
jq604

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the shift **** installed! Looks awesome. Quick question about when engaging the shifting. Do you get a grinding sound when u push down ?

Last edited by jq604; 10-01-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:09 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Brad,

How did you manage to hammer the collar down the shift rod with the black plastic sleeve inside it? I tried really hard but still couldn't do it. When I tried to push the black plastic sleeve through the rod by itself, it expanded a little bit, which was too big to be inside the collar.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:15 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Things I Learned When Putting My **** In

First: Thanks to Brad's pioneering efforts the install went quickly.

Second: All four of my set screws were identical.

Third: I had to use my tool to pry the trim off in a different location. I think this is because I have an X, hence a snow switch:

By trying to pry further forward on the trim this happened:

Not a big deal. I just took the 6 screws out of the back of the panel and glued it back together.

Fourth: I also had to use my tool to remove the trim in front of the ashtray to make it easier to pull my unit out of the trim:

Fifth: The release so you can put the shift-shaft in neutral is the white button about an inch to the left of said shift-shaft:

The after glow:

Sean

Last edited by VIVID; 02-01-2016 at 11:52 AM.
TBau651 (02-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2015, 07:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

That looks really nice Sean, that black contrast against the washi trim is a good combo.
VIVID (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 09:26 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GFTW
Brad,

How did you manage to hammer the collar down the shift rod with the black plastic sleeve inside it? I tried really hard but still couldn't do it. When I tried to push the black plastic sleeve through the rod by itself, it expanded a little bit, which was too big to be inside the collar.
I was able to do this eventually. I like the look and the way this thing shifts but it is just frustrating how the leather boot makes it hard to push the **** down from Park. I also find it easier to not reuse the original collar. Does anyone have any idea to tie the boot to the B2 ****?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GFTW
I was able to do this eventually. I like the look and the way this thing shifts but it is just frustrating how the leather boot makes it hard to push the **** down from Park. I also find it easier to not reuse the original collar. Does anyone have any idea to tie the boot to the B2 ****?
I just barely put the plastic sleeve atop the shift rod, just enough to get it started, I then got the collar lined up w/ the set screw (the one at 3 oclock) w/ the set screw out just enough to fully extend into the slot of the plastic sleeve, but not any further. Once I hammered the collar down it eventually got to the point where the set screw was against the bottom of that half slot, and it pushed the collar down flush w/ the sleeve as I hammered it down.

As far as the boot, I found it shifted fine w/ the boot extended up to just above where the two pieces screw together.. You could use two sided tape, the good 3m kind that they sell to hold spoilers etc. on. you could do a single wrap around just where the two parts meet, pull your boot around it and tack it down, I would think that would hold it down well.

I may try to unscrew the two parts about 1/8", then put a thin wire around the very top of the boot to get it into that gap, then slowly screw the **** down while I remove the wire, I think this will get enough of the boot into that gap so once it's tightened down it won't go anywhere. I doubt I'll do anything for a few days though. Maybe someone can beat me to it.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by jq604
Got the shift **** installed! Looks awesome. Quick question about when engaging the shifting. Do you get a grinding sound when u push down ?
I think it's the metal collar sliding inside the outer hollow ****, if the collar was a composite material I doubt you'd have that sound, but metal on metal that's my guess. Didn't find it too objectionable though.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM
DeepakG37

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
how did you remove the center trim? I have an X as well. Please let me know asap.

Last edited by DeepakG37; 10-08-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DeepakG37
how did you remove the center trim? I have an X as well. Please let me know asap.
It's pretty straight forward. You just have to pry it open. Then pry the piece above the ashtray and remove it before you remove the center trim. See step 3 and 4 in VIVID post and make sure you do not pry the center piece at the location where VIVID broke the plastic piece. This black piece and the shifter piece are screwed together from the bottom.

Originally Posted by VIVID
Third: I had to use my tool to pry the trim off in a different location. I think this is because I have an X, hence a snow switch:

By trying to pry further forward on the trim this happened:

Fourth: I also had to use my tool to remove the trim in front of the ashtray to make it easier to pull my unit out of the trim:

Old 10-09-2015, 01:41 PM
DeepakG37

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does your guys' **** spin?
Attached Thumbnails DIY AT shift knob replacement (B2Autodesign model)-12080898_10208170161438266_1406832280_n.jpg  

Last edited by DeepakG37; 10-09-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY AT shift knob replacement (B2Autodesign model)