D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Fluids and filters at 40k

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Fluids and filters at 40k

Alright, So i got this car at 34k back in april and i wanted to swap out what is likely the factory fill in everything with fresh fluids before the weather stops being nice. I've been scanning the DIY's to figure out what i need and just wanted to run my shopping/to do list past the cognoscenti.

I tend to keep cars for a long time, well past 100k, because while i like nice things, I love having several years without car payments at a time. Obviously proper maintenance is critical to that goal. I don't race, but do occasionally ring it out so I will pay a moderate premium for things like quality synthetics, but not stupid money for superfluous racing fluids, so for any recommendations, i should be able to pick it up locally or order it on amazon prime. I feel like special order anything should be unnecessary, but certainly correct me if i'm missing out on something truly worth it. Did the amsoil thing in the past, good stuff, don't feel like paying for the privilege of ordering things from them again.

Vehicle is a 2013 G37x Sedan

So the engine oil and intake air filters are done. Here's the remainder of the list:

-Front and rear differential: 75w90 all around, seems like the M1 stuff you can find anywhere should work fine? Procedure seems dirt simple

-Transfer case: I have some amsoil low viscosity ATF left over from a previous vehicle, but I don't believe it's the right spec, so i'll just pick up some Matic J. Procedure, again, seems dirt simple.

-Power Steering: The aforementioned leftover Amsoil ATF should be fine in this application.

-Cabin air filter: Found the fancy tech package one is only a couple bucks more, so why not.

-Brake fluid: I have an unopened liter of ATE super blue sitting on a shelf, any problems with using that? (either not the right spec or will require more than a liter to push through the old fluid). The DIY i found recommends a power bleeder. Is there any special procedure i'm unaware of that would preclude the use of a friends foot pumping the brake pedal?

-serpentine belt appears to be in good shape, no cracking, but if i'm under there why not? Any preferred brand?

Anything i'm missing? Anything i should check or get out of the way while the car is on jack-stands?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:07 PM
dkoch7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
Alright, So i got this car at 34k back in april and i wanted to swap out what is likely the factory fill in everything with fresh fluids before the weather stops being nice. I've been scanning the DIY's to figure out what i need and just wanted to run my shopping/to do list past the cognoscenti.

I tend to keep cars for a long time, well past 100k, because while i like nice things, I love having several years without car payments at a time. Obviously proper maintenance is critical to that goal. I don't race, but do occasionally ring it out so I will pay a moderate premium for things like quality synthetics, but not stupid money for superfluous racing fluids, so for any recommendations, i should be able to pick it up locally or order it on amazon prime. I feel like special order anything should be unnecessary, but certainly correct me if i'm missing out on something truly worth it. Did the amsoil thing in the past, good stuff, don't feel like paying for the privilege of ordering things from them again.

Vehicle is a 2013 G37x Sedan

So the engine oil and intake air filters are done. Here's the remainder of the list:

-Front and rear differential: 75w90 all around, seems like the M1 stuff you can find anywhere should work fine? Procedure seems dirt simple

-Transfer case: I have some amsoil low viscosity ATF left over from a previous vehicle, but I don't believe it's the right spec, so i'll just pick up some Matic J. Procedure, again, seems dirt simple.

-Power Steering: The aforementioned leftover Amsoil ATF should be fine in this application.

-Cabin air filter: Found the fancy tech package one is only a couple bucks more, so why not.

-Brake fluid: I have an unopened liter of ATE super blue sitting on a shelf, any problems with using that? (either not the right spec or will require more than a liter to push through the old fluid). The DIY i found recommends a power bleeder. Is there any special procedure i'm unaware of that would preclude the use of a friends foot pumping the brake pedal?

-serpentine belt appears to be in good shape, no cracking, but if i'm under there why not? Any preferred brand?

Anything i'm missing? Anything i should check or get out of the way while the car is on jack-stands?

Thanks in advance.

I think this forum is dead, I too posted a question about a month ago and no replies.....sigh
Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Lots of threads on maintenance. Search and you'll find.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:43 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I used Dexron 6 for the PS fluid. That's what's specified in the manual, IIRC.
At ~ 34,000 miles it's waaay too early for the serpentine belt to be replaced.