D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: G37 Sedan Illuminated Door Sill Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 04:12 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by AMP_01
Quick question:

What's stopping someone from tapping into the door lights that project towards the ground when you open it? Wouldn't that be much simpler?
Because it is the same circuit coming off pins 4 & 7 at the BCM...
Old 05-26-2023, 02:35 AM
AMP_01
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Because it is the same circuit coming off pins 4 & 7 at the BCM...
So if they're the same wires we are tapping into on the BCM in the OP DIY, the door projecter lights are easier to deal with?

Also, have there been any G37 sedans with rear door projected lights?
Old 05-26-2023, 10:17 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Start over.... What are you trying to do?

What "projector lights" are you referring to? The door "step lamps:"

The step lamps are only for the front doors on the sedan. Only the M37/56 have step lamps on the rear doors. You can probably add them, but not without cutting into your door card and running wires through the door jamb harness.

For that matter, the rear kickplates are NOT illuminated either.

Again, what do you have and what is your objective?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-26-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 10:28 PM
AMP_01
Registered Member

Start over.... What are you trying to do?

What "projector lights" are you referring to? The door "step lamps:"

The step lamps are only for the front doors on the sedan. Only the M37/56 have step lamps on the rear doors. You can probably add them, but not without cutting into your door card and running wires through the door jamb harness.

For that matter, the rear kickplates are NOT illuminated either.

Again, what do you have and what is your objective?
Yes those lights! Sorry! I got projector logo lights for the fronts and figured they'd look awesome on the rear haha. Not really looking to cut into my door card so probably not going to pursue that unless a random G37 rear door card shows up at the local junkyard for cheap. I've never checked if the 2011 G37S came with illuminated door sills (or if mine does), haven't really paid attention. Do they burn out? If so are the bulbs replaceable? (I just got the car a little over a month ago so learning more about the nuances as I go)
Old 05-27-2023, 10:54 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Illuminated door sills were a optional accessory that could be added. On the sedan, only the front sills (driver/pass) illuminate when the doors open. Though rare, there have been reports of some LED's burning out. They are not easily replaced but if you have the skills it can be done (thread). Assuming you have the illuminated kickplates in the first place.

The puddle lamps are ok but not sure they are worth cutting into the door card. Now a pocket light, that would add ambience to the rear cabin...IMO.

BTW, congrats on the new toy. There is a ton of info here that will answer most questions you might have.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:00 AM
AMP_01
Registered Member

Illuminated door sills were a optional accessory that could be added. On the sedan, only the front sills (driver/pass) illuminate when the doors open. Though rare, there have been reports of some LED's burning out. They are not easily replaced but if you have the skills it can be done (thread). Assuming you have the illuminated kickplates in the first place.

The puddle lamps are ok but not sure they are worth cutting into the door card. Now a pocket light, that would add ambience to the rear cabin...IMO.

BTW, congrats on the new toy. There is a ton of info here that will answer most questions you might have.
Yeah I'd have to check it out later tonight. Is there a way to check other than the lights on or off? Do you have an example of a pocket light? What's the difference?

Thank you! It seems like tons of fun!
Old 05-27-2023, 01:11 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

You either have the standard kickplates:

Or the accessory illuminated plates:

What Nissan calls the "Door Pocket Lamp" is a simple LED in the inside bottom of the door (under the switches):

I modified that to include the pocket and the interior door handle. When time/ weather permits I will take a pic of my setup to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-27-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:37 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

@AMP_01 Sorry it took so long but here are some (crappy) pics of the door handle and "pocket" lights that I installed in my door panels. Sorry, my phone is old and takes lousy night pics. The door handle LED is not as obnoxious as it appears in the pics. All LED's are UV (purple):
Driver:

Passenger:

The "pocket" lights turn ON/OFF with the headlights. The door handle lights function off of the power window RAP signal.

At some point I may get some matching gel film and modify the Q60 ambient footwell lights so everything will match. Then again, maybe not- the contrast works for me. I did not take a pic of the rear footwell lights.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-18-2023 at 11:01 AM.