D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: 2012 Non Navigation with Bose Bluetooth Streaming + Analog input GROM box

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
I have an 08 non-nav.. Which connector is the HOT power that I need to splice the GROM unit into? Non of the connectors in the back of the A/V unit matches the one in the instruction. HELP!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 AM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Here are the pics of my install. I still could not get it to power. I think the power splice is wrong. The connectors are nothing the same as the instruction..

2012 Non Navigation with Bose Bluetooth Streaming + Analog input GROM box-0fergti.jpg

2012 Non Navigation with Bose Bluetooth Streaming + Analog input GROM box-qhlrucg.jpg

2012 Non Navigation with Bose Bluetooth Streaming + Analog input GROM box-8uqcmrm.jpg
Old 03-07-2014, 02:49 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

anyone that can help me? Where did you tap the yellow wire into?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

got the issue fixed. It was the stupid POSITAP connector. it didn't pierce the power wire, hence there was no power. I spliced the wire and everything is good to go.

so for my car, I have to hit RADIO three time to get to the bluetooth from GROM instead of AUX.. weird right? anyone?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
AMCDeac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by *ICE*
got the issue fixed. It was the stupid POSITAP connector. it didn't pierce the power wire, hence there was no power. I spliced the wire and everything is good to go.

so for my car, I have to hit RADIO three time to get to the bluetooth from GROM instead of AUX.. weird right? anyone?
Many thank for your efforts and report. Can you give us an update? Is anything else peculiar, other than hitting radio three times?

I am also the owner or an '08 non-nav coupe, which I plan to keep for a long time, so modernizing the audio would be excellent.

Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AMCDeac
Many thank for your efforts and report. Can you give us an update? Is anything else peculiar, other than hitting radio three times?

I am also the owner or an '08 non-nav coupe, which I plan to keep for a long time, so modernizing the audio would be excellent.

Thanks again.
hitting RADIO three times will take you to the screen of the GROM box, just make sure the bluetooth on your phone is connected to "GROM-AUDIO" and start playing music on your phone, the sound will come out on your car stereo.

Like other peoples in the thread suggested, I only selected the "Media" connection in my Bluetooth setting on my phone for the GROM, the "Phone call" connection still connect to the car's bluetooth system. That way, i use the car Bluetooth's system for phone call and GROM for music.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Snoogz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 G37 Base model

I was hoping someone could with the USB2P could report how they're liking it, and if they can confirm if this works with the display (text display, album art, song/album navigation)? Either iPod or Android phone.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 AM
ViktorS

Is it possible to place GROM BT3 in the trunk of 2013 G37x replacing XM receiver? Seems like much easier task and I don't really need AUX, just Bluetooth audio will be enough for me.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM
crafty35a

I just finished installing this in my 2011 - thanks OP! Worked great with no major issues. I did end up dropping one of the two difficult to reach screws when I was trying to put it back in, but I'm not too worried about that. Everything is in there solidly, so as long as I don't hear it rattling around I'm fine.

Worth mentioning is that if you want to do the AUX install to the center console (which I did), you'll need to pop the shifter trim up to pass the wire underneath. It's extremely easy, just wedge something under the back end of that trim and pop it (no need to remove the shifter, you can reach in there while you old the trim up out of the way).

Also, the trim piece in the center console was EXTREMELY difficult to remove. I followed the OP's instructions and even checked the FSM, but I had to use crazy amounts of force, and eventually one of the two tabs on mine partially broke. No big deal, everything went back together solidly.

I did end up with the airbag light on, which was simple enough to reset. But my Service Engine Soon light was also on. I just followed the ECU reset procedure (check youtube) to clear that, so hopefully it doesn't come back.

Bluetooth audio quality is excellent from my Moto X. The volume is nice and loud, actually louder than the FM radio. Aux volume on the other hand is quite low (but who cares? I won't be using that since the BT quality is so good).
Old 03-22-2015, 01:37 AM
RGSPro

Unhappy

I installed the GROM NIS02U3 into my 2012 G37x (no Navi) today, but I cannot get anything to play out of the EXT2 port. I can get the USB and the EXT1 port to function by cycling through the AUX button on the dash (SAT Emulation), which will go through "USB" and "AUX" audio notifications through the speakers. I currently have the USB cable in the USB port, the Bluetooth cable in the EXT1 port and the AUX-IN cable in the EXT2 port. Bluetooth works as advertised in this configuration, but the AUX-IN cable does not. If I switch the cables around on the unit and plug the AUX-IN cable in the EXT1 port and the Bluetooth cable in the EXT2 port, now the aux cable works but not the bluetooth. The manual is a bit obscure on getting the EXT2 port to work, but I am assuming it needs to be in "iPod" mode from what I can read from the manual by going to AM/FM and then CD or something like that, but I have had no luck getting this to work in my car. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by RGSPro; 03-22-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:37 PM
itzricky

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered the GromBT3,

my 2011 G37x no navigation, already has a USB jack, in which I plug my iPhone charger in.

Is it worth installing an iPod charger onto the GromBT3 as well?
Also, wouldnt I need to drill holes for it to come out of the armrest box.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:15 PM
itzricky

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for help

Can someone help me with the Posi-tap , I don't know which connection I need to tap into.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:56 AM
wankelrx8
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Android App

I found a wireless solution for those with Android phones. There is an app in the playstore called Mono Bluetooth Router that lets you play audio and music through the phone bluetooth connection in your car. It's not stereo, but if you're just looking for a way to play audio and don't care if it's mono, then this app is for you.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Lizzg37x

help!!

Originally Posted by crafty35a

Also, the trim piece in the center console was EXTREMELY difficult to remove. I followed the OP's instructions and even checked the FSM, but I had to use crazy amounts of force, and eventually one of the two tabs on mine partially broke. No big deal, everything went back together solidly.
I got my panel off aswell because my USB broke and fell into the center console... unfortunately both tabs at the top broke off and now it easily falls off.

Is there anyway to buy this panel seperately without any connections? or do I seriously have to buy a whole new center console just for this part...
Old 05-25-2016, 03:07 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the 2008 stereo without nav to the 2010-2012 stereo with nav? Then I'd have the higher res screen, Bluetooth support for my music and all the bells and whistles. Then I could bypass the GROM unit altogether. Has anyone done this?

Quick Reply: DIY: 2012 Non Navigation with Bose Bluetooth Streaming + Analog input GROM box