D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Whiteline Differential bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloz G
Drivetrain rumble when accelerating is solved! Whiteline's KDT911 instructions to position the smaller vertical diff. mount bushing at the top and larger vertical diff. mount bushing at the bottom caused an out of phase pinion angle at the diff. end of the drive shaft (pinion nose up). To recover the OEM pinion angle, we reversed the bushing positions (larger on the top and smaller on the bottom). I am not sure if the diff. pinion angles between the G35 and the G37 are indeed different but our experience hints that that may be the case. If anyone senses drivetrain rumbling like I did, this may be a way to fix it.
The OEM bushing was no thicker than the smaller Whiteline bushing.
This has been discussed extensively in the 370 and 350 forums.

If you have a 7AT, the shaft has no u joint on the rear, thus the pinion points up with the angle of the shaft.

If you have a 6MT, that might be something to think about.

As long as it fixed your issue, then alls well!!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Veloz G

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
My 6MT does have a u-joint on the rear. So indeed pinion angle is something to consider when doing this upgrade on a 6MT. Encountering others with my issue is probably rare since the majority who do this mod drive automatics.

Last edited by Veloz G; 04-30-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloz G
Drivetrain rumble when accelerating is solved! Whiteline's KDT911 instructions to position the smaller vertical diff. mount bushing at the top and larger vertical diff. mount bushing at the bottom caused an out of phase pinion angle at the diff. end of the drive shaft (pinion nose up). To recover the OEM pinion angle, we reversed the bushing positions (larger on the top and smaller on the bottom). I am not sure if the diff. pinion angles between the G35 and the G37 are indeed different but our experience hints that that may be the case. If anyone senses drivetrain rumbling like I did, this may be a way to fix it.
Good looking out for us 6MT guys. Thanks for doing the community a service by letting us learn from your experience.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

You got me thinking...............

I went to measure the height of my original bushings, and the height of the Whiteline thin bushing, they are within 1/16".

There is no way the thick one would keep the original angle.

The rear bolt on my car, is dead perpendicular to the hole.

Look and see if your rear bolt is now pointing up.

Let me ask you this:
Did they reinstall the black metal top hat?? Above the upper bushing??
That only gets left out with SPL solid bushings.

Stock picture of 6MT diff:

Mine:
Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

This is why I asked if your top hats were possibly left out:

Z guy thought the big one went on top, until he realized he forgot the top hat.

You can see them just above the top bushing in this post:

MY350Z.COM Forums - View Single Post - DIY - Solid diff bushing install - No subframe drop method, no c clamp either!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

What is the "black metal top hat" witchery of which you speak? Pics or you're making it up.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Look above the top diff bushing.
Its a "top hat" washer the diameter of the bushing.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I see. I may be able to measure the angle prior to and after replacement. Maybe. But if another MT owner has tried it both ways and found vibration one way and not the other, I'm inclined to follow that rather than do it twice.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Found a picture of it. The last thing on the bottom left corner. Basically a large, tapered washer:

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I see. I may be able to measure the angle prior to and after replacement. Maybe. But if another MT owner has tried it both ways and found vibration one way and not the other, I'm inclined to follow that rather than do it twice.
Wait, he might come back saying the mechanic told him it wasnt needed!!
Or they fell on the ground, and were discarded, which I almost did.
Its called an "Upper Stopper" in the FSM.
It adds to the thickness.

Why would diff bushings differ from AT to MT, they are the same!!

SPL states to not use them, because the metal already compensates for the thickness.

I called Whiteline, and they responded to only replace bushings, all other hardware remain.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Modme
Found a picture of it. The last thing on the bottom left corner. Basically a large, tapered washer:

Exactly!!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I installed it the same way as TVPostSound and I have no increased noise, vibrations, or harshness. Even if it's wrong, i have no reason to drop it and flip the bushings.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

I would also think that the thicker bushing on top would add more movement, as the bushing compresses under hard acceleration.

I do hear a little more noise, due to harder bushings, but I use my ears for a living!!

On a side note Concept Z joined the bandwagon!!
Whiteline KDT911 370Z Differential Bushing Kit 09+ Z34 - Nissan performance parts
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Veloz G

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Bingo TVPostSound...the tophats were not installed. I still actually have them along with the large rubber washers (which you said to not use). They are about 0.25 inch in height...gave or take. By looking at these top hats closely never would I have thought they added that much height. They are concave shaped and are more like spacers than washers. By flipping the bushing around (thick part on top), I assume we made up for the "height" provided by this missing piece. It's funny, prior to my installation I have seen pics of these bushings installed both ways (thick part on top or bottom) with or without the tophats which added to my confusion. Just for our education, my installer and I are going to do some experimenting with the bushings this weekend...reversing the bushing back to 'normal' and adding the top hats is pretty easy if you have access to a lift. It's a 15 minute affair. BTW, I do not feel and hear any measurable movement or noise as installed right now (thick part on top w/o the tophat) which was what I was seeking. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Last edited by Veloz G; 05-07-2013 at 02:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Veloz G:
Black Betty (04-30-2013), Presto (11-28-2016)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for these posts. I'll be installing these soon and now I know there is a top washer.

Quick Reply: DIY: Whiteline Differential bushings