D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Fix Windshield Cowl Popping Noises

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:08 PM
q3blue
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just out of curiosity, can you apply the felt on the bottom of the cowl instead of the windshield? Also, if it can be applied to the bottom of the cowl instead, has anyone tried adhesive tube molding instead of felt? They sell a self adhesive rubber tube molding at Home Depot used for doors and windows that's rather small and comes in a long rolled up spindle.

Update:
It is possible. I bought a rolled up strip of 58" long felt from Home Depot for less then $4. I was able to put the felt on the inner lip of the cowl where it meets the windshield and the noise is completely gone. I wanted to put the felt on the cowl instead of the windshield because in case the windshield was ever replaced nothing had to be redone. I ended up using 57" of the 58" felt strip, cut into two pieces for the two pieces of the cowl.

Last edited by q3blue; 12-31-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: adding content
The following users liked this post:
Texas Boy (02-24-2024)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 AM
jpg98
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for this write-up! I was having this noise in my 2011 sedan and it was driving me crazy - to the point of considering selling the car. It was more of a squeak or chirp sound than a pop sound for me. Last week I applied the felt to the base of the windshield as shown in the write-up and all is quiet again. I like my car again.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Finally did this yesterday. Have not had a chance to drive the car yet. I ended up using caulk cord...its kind of like a putty material that peels away from a roll. Almost like mastic tape, which I also considered using. I am pretty confident that there will be no rattle. Hard to imaging two things connected by a mastic like material rattling.

BTW, not sure if it was posted here, but the trick to getting wipers off is to press down on the spring joint. They are hard to get off because the spring joint is pressing the wiper against the windshield which torques the arm on the stud. Pressing it down relieves this and makes it pretty easy to take off. I didn't need WD-40 or anything.

All in all it was pretty easy to do.
MsTgr (06-15-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 PM
Jeremy1607

Originally Posted by brizey
Finally did this yesterday. Have not had a chance to drive the car yet. I ended up using caulk cord...its kind of like a putty material that peels away from a roll. Almost like mastic tape, which I also considered using. I am pretty confident that there will be no rattle. Hard to imaging two things connected by a mastic like material rattling.

BTW, not sure if it was posted here, but the trick to getting wipers off is to press down on the spring joint. They are hard to get off because the spring joint is pressing the wiper against the windshield which torques the arm on the stud. Pressing it down relieves this and makes it pretty easy to take off. I didn't need WD-40 or anything.

All in all it was pretty easy to do.
I'm also having this windshield cowl noise, so I'm trying to do this DIY. I can't get the wiper arms to come off, I've sprayed WD40 on it, tried your tips by pushing down towards the windshield but no matter how hard I try, it still wouldn't come off ?
Old 02-14-2015, 12:30 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy1607
I'm also having this windshield cowl noise, so I'm trying to do this DIY. I can't get the wiper arms to come off, I've sprayed WD40 on it, tried your tips by pushing down towards the windshield but no matter how hard I try, it still wouldn't come off ?
Remove the blades. Bend the wipers up at the joint. They'll come off.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:41 PM
DikkaD

This noise was driving me nuts because I could hear it over the radio. After doing this mod, no rattles at all from the cowl. I also noticed that there was a lot of gunk on the passenger side window, especially above the cabin duct (more so than the driver side.) I cleaned the window and cowl of this and also cleaned the cabin air duct and vaccumed the space. Without replacing my filter (non carbon), the mildew smell I was experiencing at start up has gone away. This may just be coincidence but killing two birds with one stone always feels good.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM
NewG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This DIY really helped me out big time! I was so annoyed by the popping noise while driving. This forum has helped me a lot since I bought my car.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy1607
To elaborate on what Black Betty said, you need to push them in at an angle. I couldn't get it at first, as it didn't make sense...push in then pull up. You don't want to push them in perfectly perpendicular to the windshield. Lift up on the arm, and tilt them in towards the windshield.
The following 2 users liked this post by G37Xtreme:
MsTgr (06-15-2015), Texas Boy (02-24-2024)
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I bought my G37x coupe a little under a month ago and when I started hearing that pop/rattle I was really pissed.

As some others suggested, I got some adhesive velcro and applied a thin layer of the soft side onto the cowl itself and reattached everything. The rattle has been eliminated almost entirely and even when I do hear it it's barely audible at all. I am worried about leakage though. The last thing I want is to have a gap for water to seep into my engine bay and take out the battery or something. Anyone have a suggestion for some kind of sealant I can spray/apply near the end of the cowl to make sure there isn't a significant gap due to the velcro now being there?

I've checked under the hood a few times since we've had some heavy rain/snow here in NJ for the past few days and everything seems fine. But I'd rather not take any chances.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM
PLT_

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never got a chance to say thanks! This DIY greatly eliminated those damn noises that were going to drive me insane eventually. I used sticky felt and it's all hidden, without any issues.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 AM
SkylineG

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks so much. Because of this i was able to reseal my windshield and eliminated the whistling wind sound.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:35 PM
tx_12g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you very much! great fix!
Those noises were torture
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by PLT_
Never got a chance to say thanks! This DIY greatly eliminated those damn noises that were going to drive me insane eventually. I used sticky felt and it's all hidden, without any issues.
Originally Posted by SkylineG
Thanks so much. Because of this i was able to reseal my windshield and eliminated the whistling wind sound.
Originally Posted by tx_12g37
Thank you very much! great fix!
Those noises were torture
Click the thanks button in the lower right hand corner of the original post. Thats exactly what it's for.
Nico-derm (11-11-2016)
Old 06-13-2015, 07:12 PM
ydoron

Hi guys, are those the squeaking noises you're experiencing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgGr...ature=youtu.be

Sorry about the audio quality, you'll have to raise the volume to hear it.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:20 AM
LS04

Can't get drivers side off

Just as above. Pass side came off easy enough but driver side was stuck/attached toward middle of windshield. I was unable to remove that section. Prettty sure all fastners were removed? T.I.A. for any help.

Quick Reply: DIY: Fix Windshield Cowl Popping Noises