D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Fix Windshield Cowl Popping Noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 PM
fredcs1209

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration noise

Hey guys, I recently added r2c intake and noticed a loud rattle when I floor it. Do you think if I perform this DYI it would eliminate the problem, the noise seems to be coming left bottom of windshield???
Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This was surprisingly easy to do, and definitely solves the problem. Thanks! I used the soft loop side of an adhesive velcro strip like someone else had mentioned.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:16 PM
SIK37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I to had the R2C CAI installed about 6 months ago and noticed this high pitch vibration at high RPM range and when flooring it.. But not sure if it's this popping/squeaking noise this DIY speaks of, mines almost sounds like a very HIGH pitch metal/plastic vibration coming from the outside driverside cowl area I'm assuming. Kind of hard to explain the sound via thread. just want to make sure before I dismantle everything that my noise is the same that all the above are experiencing. Thx!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:27 PM
jmann
Registered Member

This solves the problem of the cowl tapping on the bottom edge of the windshield. You would definitely know if this is the sound you are hearing. This was really only bothering me in cold weather, which seemed to make it worse.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:26 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
At some point this winter (in TX so its time to work in the garage when its not 120 degrees) I am going to do this. As an FYI, I had the tapping sound and jammed a piece of felt where I could here the sound coming from and it went away. Kind of ghetto, but it worked and its a good test to see if this is your issue before taking things apart.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 PM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty easy DIY.
Just did mine. Used some left over vinyl wrap cut 5/8".
Hopefully the popping sound / noise goes away.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM
MistaYoung

Got to do this to mine soon.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM
mtech369
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice info

don't have any cowl noise but this would be useful in keeping leaves and tree debri from falling into the cowl area and getting inside the blower housing. since i have plenty of wool felt and free time on my hands i guess i'm gonna b performing this repair today.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 PM
jmann
Registered Member

I had my windshield replaced this month, the installer moved the strip from the old windshield to the new one for me, as I requested. The velcro piece apparently can take a removal and re-application.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 PM
colnajoe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a R2C intake and I was suffering from the same rattle under full throttle as SIK37 described earlier. It was at about 6000rpm and higher,. Felt like the whole windshield was gunna shatter. I did this fix and went to the on ramp that I usually can it at, and let it rip.... AND THE RATTLE WAS GONE. The sound is almost like a raspy loud plastic growl like vibration and it is now gone. I used 1/8th inch thick by 1/4 inch wide automotive closed cell foam rubber. Peel and stick after a good cleaning of the glass edge. No problems what so ever. If you have any sound coming from the windshield dash area, this fix will silence all your frustrations.... got mine in the screen door repair area at Ace Hardware. The package does say for automotive use....
Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM
AlienGorilla

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Worked for me! Thanks!

I had the same crackling/rattling noise coming from the dash/windshield area and it was driving me nuts. I've also always had the loud rattle at high rpms with my R2C intake but never really thought anything of it. This fixed solved both those issues! I had some extra carpet tape lying around so I used that. It's a thin foam type padding with adhesive on one side. Worked like a charm. Hopefully it holds up. I took a little extra time and applied it to the inside of the cowl too. As far as the windshield wipers go, they come off super easy if you just push in on the joint and pull out. If you apply too thick of a strip to the windshield just put the cowl partly on and run utility knife down the tape and peel off the excess. That way there's no unsightly mess protruding from it.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlienGorilla:
B Feelgood (09-30-2015), MsTgr (12-22-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Helio2k

Fantastic DIY recently my G35x was driving me crazy, I just completed your guide and so far little test drive and it seams gone will update in couple of day.
Cheers.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Guessed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Now for Something Rather Similar

I just did this and 90 minutes later there are no more mice in my windshield!

I bought the adhesive felt, page-sized, that comes in a $5 pack at Walmart. I cut 5 strips, each about 1 1/4 inches wide, taped and folded them along the bottom edge of the windshield (had to snip about 4" off the 5th piece) and re-assembled everything.

However, the mice have relocated to my center console.

To be continued...
Old 12-19-2014, 03:27 PM
squarehead

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
BUMP in case anyone's suffering from winter squeaks - this DIY works wonders. Thx OP
Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 PM
MsTgr
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great idea about marking the position of the wipers. I used to do that all the time working on aircraft, but that has been a few years now and a bit rusty.

Quick Reply: DIY: Fix Windshield Cowl Popping Noises