D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY

Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Brian Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've tracked the AFS problem back to the clockspring. I must have rotated it too many times while I was trying to put it back together. Since I rotated it too many times, the AFS and the backup camera think I'm constantly making an extreme left turn.

As for the "VDC Off" and "Slip" lights, I'm leaning toward the clockspring triggering that as well, though I can't figure out how. The reason I say it's the clockspring is because I removed the clockspring from the car completely and I got the "VDC Off" and "Slip" lights immediately upon startup instead of when I begin moving forward. Then again, I could be completely off base.

I tried using my OBD2 scanner to check for error codes, but there were none. I'm confident that installing the new clockspring will fix everything. I'll post a follow-up when I get the clockspring on Friday or Saturday.

-Brian
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Brian Thompson

Another update...

Got the clockspring in today. I bought it used on ebay. The spiral cable inside was broken. Surprise, surprise. I bought another clockspring from someone else. Hopefully, the next one won't give me any trouble.

As for the AFS error, I've discovered the clockspring is actually not just a clockspring like most vehicles. There's a second component screwed to the back of the clockspring which tells some of the car's components the position of the steering wheel. If this steering position sensor accidentally gets knocked out of sync with the clockspring, your AFS and VDC will throw an error because the data the steering sensor is sending doesn't match with what is happening at the wheels.

I'm just putting this out there for anyone who encounters trouble like I have. I'll post my final update (fingers crossed) if the new part I receive on Tuesday is in working condition.

-Brian
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (03-18-2015)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 AM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Brian - thanks for the updates and info. I hope everything turns out well!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Brian Thompson

Final update:

Today, I received the new clockspring I ordered. It was pulled from a 2008 G35x and it fit perfectly even though I have a 2008 G37S. Steering controls and air bag are all working normally again. I performed the air bag warning light reset procedure and everything is back to normal.

The only complaint I have is that the turning radius is reduced from approximately 2.5 spins (with the S clockspring) to 2.3 spins (with the G35x clockspring). That means that if I jerk the steering wheel too hard to the left or right, I risk snapping the clockspring and having to do this all over again.

Anyway, I'll cross that bridge if it ever comes. In the meantime, I'll be back on the streets loving every minute with my G.

-Brian
Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Brian Thompson

I recommend to anyone who plans to complete this DIY to pull the airbag wires out of from the clip at the base of the steering wheel (just under that big nut that big 19mm nut). I also recommend that they not be hasty when pulling that pesky steering wheel loose. Wiggle it a little and loosen it up instead of just pulling it as hard as possible. That's how I busted my clockspring open and ended up in the mess chronicled above.

So, basically, just make sure you look very closely at photo 9 and the text surrounding it in the paddle shifter install guide at g35driver.com.

-Brian
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (03-18-2015)
Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Stuart Pid
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 606zpx
Are the part numbers for the same rubber coated trim piece? I think newer cars have hard plastic that is not rubber coated.
The part numbers listed above are for the newer plastic piece.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 PM
WILLDOGS
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Thompson
I recommend to anyone who plans to complete this DIY to pull the airbag wires out of from the clip at the base of the steering wheel (just under that big nut that big 19mm nut). I also recommend that they not be hasty when pulling that pesky steering wheel loose. Wiggle it a little and loosen it up instead of just pulling it as hard as possible. That's how I busted my clockspring open and ended up in the mess chronicled above.

So, basically, just make sure you look very closely at photo 9 and the text surrounding it in the paddle shifter install guide at g35driver.com.

-Brian
Another tip to avoid what you went through is to not fully remove the 19mm Steering wheel bolt until you wiggle the wheel free.

Loosen the main 19mm Steering wheel bolt all the way until it is about to come off and then stop and tighten it a couple of times (not much)

Then Pull (pull left/right sides alternating)on the steering wheel until you feel it come loose and then remove everything once loose.

This will help you avoid pulling the steering wheel off and pulling everything out in a mess by mistake. If you pull too hard, the 19mm nutt will be a safety stop for the wheel.

I just did this trim replacement 5 minutes ago and it was easier than I thought. The hardest part I found was initially cracking loose the 19mm main bolt. They put some thread lock on it and it was a bytch to crack!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
I just did this trim replacement 5 minutes ago and it was easier than I thought. The hardest part I found was initially cracking loose the 19mm main bolt. They put some thread lock on it and it was a bytch to crack!
Haha, the hardest part for me to get off were the two initial airbag bolts (which also have a ton of threadlock on it. I actually broke a (cheapo) torx bit trying to get it out the first time!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
That's pretty crazy you have to take off the entire steering wheel and everything along with it just to get to the trim.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 AM
canoncleguy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My newly acquired G37 has some scratches.. I guess I will need to do this in future
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steering wheel repair advice

Are the Torx bolts that hold the airbag in "regular" Torx, or security Torx (with a pin in the center of the torx recess)?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
security Torx
Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
for minor scratches I found this works great

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/23432

Its a matte black touch up pen with a felt tip.

However I am still going to do the replacement bezel but for those who are not inclined to do it its a great option.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM
solarg37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i have broken 2 security torx wrenches trying this ! going to have a shop do it for me
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Last summer I brought my car into the dealer and complained about the scratches of the trim and they gave me a whole new steering wheel
I have a 09 sedan and while my car was in the dealer I received a loaner 2012 G25x sedan and I loved the newer steering wheel on it (better texture and feels thicker). Lo and behold when I got my car back I had the same newer style steering wheel for free If your car is still in warranty definitely go to the dealer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY