D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Transfer case oil change plus front differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 AM
buckets

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Transfer case oil change plus front differential

Hi all. My first post and introduction will be a DIY, i really hope this isnt a repeat DIY, i used the search button too! im phil and ive had my 09 g37x since june 25th and i have been enjoying her ever since. love the engine, bit of a sleeper in sedan trim till you stomp on it. anywho lets get to the DIY. some pics for your enjoyment and education.

oh btw do this at your own risk, i am not responsible if you damage your car or yourself.

things you will need:
shop towels!
oil pan
floor jack
2 jack stands
wheel chock
10mm hex socket or wrench
10mm socket (for front under body panel)
manual fluid pump (i used 2 to avoid cross contamination of gear oil and ATF)
small-medium zip ties (keep hoses in place while pumping on pump and diff/case)

fluids
2 quarts matic d, j, k compatible ATF i used Royal Purple Max ATF
3 quarts gear oil i used RP Max Gear 75w90

optional
a helper
pair of 2x4 or 2x6 for extra ground clearance (i needed them, driveway is all lumpy)

Capacities
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...INFINITI+G37+M

Engine, with filter..........5.2 quarts [1]
Cooling System, With AT Initial Fill..........9.6 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Cooling System, With MT Initial Fill..........9.7 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, RE7R01A Initial Fill..........Not Specified
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
7 speed RE7R01A..........9.8 quarts
Manual Transmission, FS6R31A..........6 pints
Differential, Front..........1.3 pints
Differential, Rear..........3 pints
Transfer Case, ..........2.2 pints
(just incase link doesnt work, 1 quart = 2 pints)

Name:  g37fluids.png
Views: 17317
Size:  496.3 KB

front differential
Name:  IMAG0203.jpg
Views: 16310
Size:  681.4 KB
thats my helper on the left, quiet and useless aside from company. assorted tools and stuff. i changed my front, rear diff, transfer case and engine oil that day hence all the stuff.

Name:  IMAG0205.jpg
Views: 20591
Size:  373.6 KB
front diff, that's the fill hole where my ratchet is. you have to remove several 10mm bolts to gain access to this area, i took the whole panel out instead of bending it around, sorry for no pic.

Name:  IMAG0207.jpg
Views: 17310
Size:  460.9 KB
drain plug below ratchet

Name:  IMAG0213.jpg
Views: 16309
Size:  644.3 KB
dirty magnetic drain plug, you may want to reinstall the drain plug a few times before refilling the diff to get all the metal shavings out. i did it 3 times before it wasnt picking more out.

Name:  IMAG0209.jpg
Views: 16304
Size:  585.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0212.jpg
Views: 16601
Size:  412.1 KB
cell phone pics are so so

Name:  IMAG0210.jpg
Views: 16203
Size:  489.0 KB
clean plug

Name:  IMAG0204.jpg
Views: 15766
Size:  634.9 KB
rear diff drain plug, no pics of that since there is a good DIY here already plus its super easy.

transfer case
Name:  IMAG0215.jpg
Views: 18263
Size:  315.1 KB
ratchet is in the fill plug, right below it pointing down is the drain plug

Name:  IMAG0217.jpg
Views: 16074
Size:  675.6 KB
drain plug wasnt too dirty

Name:  IMAG0218.jpg
Views: 16031
Size:  433.2 KB
the ATF was pretty damn clean, mind you i got the car used so i changed all the fluids for my peace of mind and to start fresh.

Name:  IMAG0219.jpg
Views: 15995
Size:  629.8 KB
cleaned the drain plug while the ATF dripped out

side notes
well i feel silly not taking a pics of how i used the pump, basically one side draws the fluid in the other pumps it out, just figure that out before you try and use it. i zip tyed the hoses on to the pump so they didnt blow out on me, worked well. i also tied the hose underneath the car to keep the hose from kinking, i didnt do it tight just enough so it didnt move but i still could slide it if i needed to.

have plenty of shop towels on hand, you will have to clean the plugs and in case you spill the oils.

time frame for this: i think it took me 4-5 hrs. i was afraid to put the car on four jack stands so i had to keep picking her up and down. i also jacked her up and down to try and get as much of the old fluid out.

let me know if i did a goodjob, so so or if i should try again or not at all

questions or comments are welcome.

Last edited by buckets; 02-16-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: extra info
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (01-19-2019)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great DIY! I have to do this soon on my car.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to contribute to the community on your very first post, don't see that too often!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM
abice

Good write up! I also have an X but it is a coupe, I'm guessing it should be the same location for all the plugs,

I want to get this straight the ATF goes in the transfer case, how is Royal Purple I love RP products just afraid because it says in the manual if u use anything but Matic S fluid it will void the transmission warranty

For the two differentials can I use the same fluid? I noticed everyone is using 75W90 instead of 80W what does changing the weight really do for the performance of the gears?

Did you add any additives to the differential fluids or any additives at all?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM
buckets

the trans takes genuine matic s, the transfer case can take magic d, j, or k compliant atf. I like rp products but Idk if I will continue to use them for engine oil since the interval is so short, might get expensive. I didn't use 75w80 because its a pretty obscure number and 75w90 is easy to find. same fluid in both differentials, no extra additives. I will try and find the documents with all the oil specs.

Last edited by buckets; 02-16-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 AM
abice

I use Royal Purple and change my oil every 10,000 miles I sent it to Blackstone lab for analysis too and there hasn't been any bad news and no problems what so ever.

Do you have the 5at or 7at?

I have the 7at and I have found all the spots you are referring to like for the drain and fill plugs, I just haven't gotten under the front to locate the front differential but I'm sure if I get under there I can see it, the problem with my 7at is I don't know if I can service it supposedly its a sealed unit and it's supposed to be maintenance free, and the tech at Infiniti was telling me they have to heat up the fluid to a certain temperature and cycle it through the drain and fill plug which are both on the bottom of the pan in order to fill with new ATF, I'm worried if I change all my fluids to RP and then the ATF that is in the actual transmission is different that it will mess it up in some way, I doubt if I tell the dealership to fill the tranny with RP they will take to that because it says in the manual it will void the transmission warranty if you change the fluid
Old 07-09-2011, 01:22 PM
buckets

I have a 7at, I'm not messing with the trans cuz is specifically calls for matic s and I know rp isn't certified for that. I plan on getting the trans flushed and the fluid doesn't have to be a certain temp, it has to be below 40 degrees celcius. once I get home ill post up all the necessary documents.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:15 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad I saw this thread, I was planning on doing the exact same work tomorrow!

I am putting amsoil 75w90 into the front and rear diffs. I was planning on putting amsoil atf into the transfer case, but now am having second thoughts. The factory service manual states to use Matic J ATF fluid in the transfer case. It also says:

"Using transfer fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and transfer durability, and may damage the transfer, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty."

As far as I can understand from what I've been reading, Matic J is no longer made and is replaced with Matic S. I'd therefore assume that Matic S would be what Infiniti would put into the transfer case.

In my case, amsoil atf is compatible with Matic J - leading me to believe it would be fine in the transfer case. However, amsoil atf is NOT listed as compatible with Matic S - leading me to question myself.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 PM
abice

Yeah you posted exactly what was on my mind, I took it the same way, Matic J is no longer available and replaced with Matic S therefore, the Royal Purple and Amsoil stuff that can replace Matic J I would assume work with our cars.

Buckets, since you switched everything to Royal Purple which is what I want to do to, we should both be okay with three out of the four fluids being Royal Purple and the Fourth the Actualy Transmission being Matic S done by the dealership, I would assume we would be okay as long as the transfer case and auto transmission do not mix fluids.

That line in the manual saying it will cause deterioration of driveability scares me a bit, but I just think it's typical manufacture jargin to market for only Nissan brand products, it says also to only get the cabin filter replaced by a dealership, I didn't do that I am sure I will be fine, so some things in the manual are meant to be followed whiles other statements are another form of marketing and really could go either way
Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
buckets

just an update. its been over a week with no ill effects, can't really tell a difference between old fluid and rp.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:14 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same with me, I put in all amsoil fluids on Sunday and so far so good. Thanks again buckets for this DIY, it was very helpful.
The following users liked this post:
kluthage421 (08-20-2014)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
abice

I think it's peace of mind though for the most part, knowing it is change and change with quality, I can't wait to get down to the store and pick up all the new royal purple fluids, I'm on the fence still about giving the dealership Royal Purple ATF to put in the 7at transmission
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 AM
buckets

Originally Posted by abice
I think it's peace of mind though for the most part, knowing it is change and change with quality, I can't wait to get down to the store and pick up all the new royal purple fluids, I'm on the fence still about giving the dealership Royal Purple ATF to put in the 7at transmission
from what ive heard they have a special machine that flushes the 7AT and i think it needs more than the capacity of the trans. who know they might not want to put it in the machine since it isnt officially validated for use instead of matic s. could contaminate stuff, oh matic s is synthetic btw.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
abice

That's exactly what I was thinking, did you get your tranny flushed and fill with Matic S? I heard that the 7at doesn't need to be serviced at 30k miles, I still would like to do it anyways even though it's 180 dollars

Originally Posted by buckets
from what ive heard they have a special machine that flushes the 7AT and i think it needs more than the capacity of the trans. who know they might not want to put it in the machine since it isnt officially validated for use instead of matic s. could contaminate stuff, oh matic s is synthetic btw.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
buckets

i have not had a chance to get the trans flushed, i did all this for peace of mind since i bought the car used. the nearest infiniti dealer is 40 miles away

Quick Reply: Transfer case oil change plus front differential