D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Transfer case oil change plus front differential

Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
elrey85
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi guys quick question. I am about to change out all the fluids on my X and I want to verify that for the front diff, rear diff and transfer case we can use Nissan Matic S (J) fluid to replace. I just want to confirm this before I purchase the fluids. So far I know that for 7AT we can use the Nissan Matic S (J) to replace. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 AM
buckets

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
the differentials get gear oil. the transfer case gets automatic transmission fluid. you can use the old matic j type in the transfer case
Old 01-14-2014, 12:20 PM
elrey85
Registered Member

OK got it. So ill just have to decide which gear oil to use for the front and Rear diffs. Only thing is after i searched I dont think they make Nissan Matic J fluid anymore. So I am assuming the Nissan Matic S fluid is ok for the transfer case? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
buckets

nissan has since replaced all matic j with matic s but other oil manufacturers do still make matic j compatible oils, like royal purple, mobile one, redline, amsoil etc. just be sure to get the right gear oil weight, 75w90.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM
elrey85
Registered Member

Originally Posted by buckets
nissan has since replaced all matic j with matic s but other oil manufacturers do still make matic j compatible oils, like royal purple, mobile one, redline, amsoil etc. just be sure to get the right gear oil weight, 75w90.
OK now I see. Final question: So then it is ok to use the RP Max Gear 75w90 for the transfer case, as well as the front and Rear diffs? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 PM
buckets

NO! the differentials and transfer case DO NOT GET THE SAME FLUIDS. please read what i have written in my previous posts. transfer case = automatic transmission fluid ie matic J compatible fluid. Differentials = gear oil, 75w90 variety. I will not be held responsible for your car grenading itself if you put the wrong fluid in the wrong spots.

Edit: sorry if i sounded mad but please reread the entire thread most of your questions can be answered there.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM
elrey85
Registered Member

Originally Posted by buckets
NO! the differentials and transfer case DO NOT GET THE SAME FLUIDS. please read what i have written in my previous posts. transfer case = automatic transmission fluid ie matic J compatible fluid. Differentials = gear oil, 75w90 variety. I will not be held responsible for your car grenading itself if you put the wrong fluid in the wrong spots.

Edit: sorry if i sounded mad but please reread the entire thread most of your questions can be answered there.
Yes sorry about that I read that wrong and figured it out after I wrote the question. I had it right in the beginning, its just the confusion came in with the Nissan Matic J being used on the transfer case but they only have Nissan Matic S (J) which is the old J ATF. So I was asking if I can use the Nissan matic S (J) ATF for the Transfer case in addition to using it for the 7AT transmission and now understand the answer is yes. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 PM
fatflyhalf
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front differential

Did this, scratch that, TRIED to do this today on my wife's car and I also stripped out the fill hole. As I was *trying* to break the bolt, I managed to smash the oil pressure switch pretty good. Looks like I will have to get to the dealership to get them to drain the front diff (and replace the fill and drain bolts to boot). Great instructions though and I appreciate you putting them up!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 PM
buckets

fatflyhalf sorry to hear that. how many miles and what year is the car you tried it on? i did it on my 09 at around 30k miles and i dont think it had done prior and i didnt have an issue.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Johnny Rocket

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks buckets this diy was perfect. I just picked up an 09 G37X with 80k and changed the fluids in both diffs and the transfer case. I'm pretty sure all the fluids were original. Now to get the tranny flushed.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 PM
vollrathian

I'm trying to do this diy for my 2011 ipl. The drain and fill plugs are in a different location I'm having a hard time finding them plz help
Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 AM
vollrathian

^^^problem solved my 7at rwd doesnt need this, my fail
Old 03-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Rr1982
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a qt of Nissan matic j, but the transfer case requires 1 1/8 qts, the lady at the Nissan parts counter said 1 qt is fine. I went to O'Reillys looking for Castrol import multi vehicle atf which is suppose to be acceptable for the extra 1/8 qt, they don't stock it, but they do have Oreilly Global ATF, which lists Nissan Matic J as an application in the bottle and was $6.19. Any ideas on adding the small amount of O'Reillys atf to the qt of Nissan?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Rr1982
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
To add to above post;
I bought 2 qts of Redline 75w90 online to change diff fluids(good luck finding a store nearby) and I always change my trans and axles to Redline,works great for smooth operation ,in cold Much.winters! Anyways I thought it would be enough to fill rear and front diff, but I misread the capacities chart in the manual, so I would be 3/8 qt low in the front diff. What if I filled the fear with the required amount of Redline and bought a qt of Mobil 1 75w90 for the front?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 PM
buckets

Originally Posted by Rr1982
To add to above post;
I bought 2 qts of Redline 75w90 online to change diff fluids(good luck finding a store nearby) and I always change my trans and axles to Redline,works great for smooth operation ,in cold Much.winters! Anyways I thought it would be enough to fill rear and front diff, but I misread the capacities chart in the manual, so I would be 3/8 qt low in the front diff. What if I filled the fear with the required amount of Redline and bought a qt of Mobil 1 75w90 for the front?
itll probly be fine, since its all the same weight of oil, im guessing its all synthetic too? i used a small fluid pump to get all mine into the transfer case and diffs. i just pumped it in till it started flowing back outta the fill port, i overfilled then let it leak out and level itself out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer case oil change plus front differential