D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Paint Your Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anybody that has done this DIY that is in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area want to help me paint my calipers? Pretty please???
Old 09-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Hey guys I have a question I need some help answering. I sanded the cals down to the bone (just cause I wanted to...well and I got a bit too aggressive with some low grit sandpaper bc the front calipers had banged against each other pretty hard 6-8 times during transit. Anyway I just completed the three coats of primer and I'm letting it set for 24 hours at the moment. All four look well and don't seem to have any issues but I think a couple very small spots may need some light wet sanding. So here's my question---should I take the cals down from the hanging/painting booth and do a bit of wet sanding before I begin the coats of anodized red? Or will these very minor dots n funky dink marks be something I can easily wet sand out after I put the multi-coats of color on???? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfire32
Hey guys I have a question I need some help answering. I sanded the cals down to the bone (just cause I wanted to...well and I got a bit too aggressive with some low grit sandpaper bc the front calipers had banged against each other pretty hard 6-8 times during transit. Anyway I just completed the three coats of primer and I'm letting it set for 24 hours at the moment. All four look well and don't seem to have any issues but I think a couple very small spots may need some light wet sanding. So here's my question---should I take the cals down from the hanging/painting booth and do a bit of wet sanding before I begin the coats of anodized red? Or will these very minor dots n funky dink marks be something I can easily wet sand out after I put the multi-coats of color on???? Thanks in advance.
It's really hard to say without any pictures, but...I'd say it depends on where those spots are, how visible will they e when the wheel is mounted and remember these are just calipers, you'll notice them, but I doubt you'll have your was inside the wheel well ever day checking them out. A couple coats of paint might cover a few small blemishes, but if they are larger and then you wets and the paint later you might just sand through the paint and then you are SOL.
The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (09-11-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Ok painting question guys help me if you know the biz. I've been prepping n painting my BBK and I chose anodized red. The color seems to be coming out a shade (or 3) darker than I'd like. Is there any other color of paint I can add to the mix to lighten or brighten it up a bit. I just finished my first 3 coats of the AR. I can post pics of anybody wants to see em. Let me know PLZ
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

FYI I still have another can of the ADR. Plus the expensive clear coat to add. Am I trippin and should just wait to check out results after clear??? I don't hate the color but it doesn't look like the can top. Pretty sure I didnt overspray or anything like that. 7 days till I can throw a new coat on. Really don't wanna have to sand the b!tches down again so plz save those responses. Plz
Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
FYI I still have another can of the ADR. Plus the expensive clear coat to add. Am I trippin and should just wait to check out results after clear??? I don't hate the color but it doesn't look like the can top. Pretty sure I didnt overspray or anything like that. 7 days till I can throw a new coat on. Really don't wanna have to sand the b!tches down again so plz save those responses. Plz
Unfortunately the caps rarely accurately depict the actual colors, it's often close but w/ metallic or anodized colors it can vary even more
The clear will make the color pop a bit more but not really lighten it.
The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
What color did you paint over? What I mean is if you used a dark primer, that can make your paint a shade darker, especially if your red is semi transparent, like an anodized color would be. I that's the case then take it back down to zero and spray again or lay down a silver base then the red.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motoboat:
blnewt (09-19-2014), Redfire32 (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by Motoboat
What color did you paint over? What I mean is if you used a dark primer, that can make your paint a shade darker, especially if your red is semi transparent, like an anodized color would be. I that's the case then take it back down to zero and spray again or lay down a silver base then the red.
Thanks. I used a silver (light IMO but I'm new at this) primer. I just went out and chexked them out again this morning. I believe what happened was I was underestimating the way the makeshift paint booth I created in my garage closet would hinder the light getting in. I just shined some strong LED's in there and I believe I'm fairly pleased with the color. I wouldn't mint being a bit more of a bright red but perhaps once I get the clear coat on and get them into the sun I'll be really pleased.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Nicely done!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 PM
n_jay888

What did you guys use as a paint stand for the calipers? Or you guys just lay it flat and didn't paint the back side?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by n_jay888
What did you guys use as a paint stand for the calipers? Or you guys just lay it flat and didn't paint the back side?
I used some strong wire to hang mine up in the garage closet. Made a make-shift paint booth in there with a clear drop cloth and tape.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM
n_jay888

I used some strong wire to hang mine up in the garage closet. Made a make-shift paint booth in there with a clear drop cloth and tape.
Do you have pics by any chance?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

FullSizeRender.jpg

I can't post pics for some reason. You should pm blnewt he will hook you up with a thread link. Same one I used throughout the whole project.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Basically just run the wire thru the little holes on the backside of the caliper where the pins go thru, give the wires some twisting to protect your babies from falling, and attach the other end to something stationary (like a closet shelf, your garage door chain, or buy a few hooks that screw into the wall- ceiling in this case). I hope this helps some. Pm me your numver I'll gladly text you pics of my whole setup.

Last edited by Redfire32; 09-29-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:49 PM
n_jay888

FullSizeRender.jpg

I can't post pics for some reason. You should pm blnewt he will hook you up with a thread link. Same one I used throughout the whole project.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Basically just run the wire thru the little holes on the backside of the caliper where the pins go thru, give the wires some twisting to protect your babies from falling, and attach the other end to something stationary (like a closet shelf, your garage door chain, or buy a few hooks that screw into the wall- ceiling in this case). I hope this helps some. Pm me your numver I'll gladly text you pics of my whole setup.
Sent you a PM. Thanks
Old 10-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Ali G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this looks awesome man. i did yellow myself. thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY: Paint Your Calipers