D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Paint Your Calipers

Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 AM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by noloveg37
Great DIY! Saved some serious cash. Here's my product/work car is dirty too much rain in miami...dont judge me

Wow I'm liking that color. Mind posting a better close up and the type of paint
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by FlState
Where can I purchase the black Akebomo vinyl decals?
I went with vinyldecals.com

Search for akebono and you'll find them. Cost like $14.99
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 PM
noloveg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here you go

Originally Posted by LegitMW
Wow I'm liking that color. Mind posting a better close up and the type of paint
legit here's a close up. I used duplicolor high temp "old ford blue" i equate to the 370z blu or that M3 blue. and i did same brand clear coat x 4.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sanding or removing stock caliper paint

just a quick question about sanding/removing the original silver paint. did you guys completely removed the it by sanding or other method or just roughen the surface enough for paint to stick? thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 AM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeItHi
just a quick question about sanding/removing the original silver paint. did you guys completely removed the it by sanding or other method or just roughen the surface enough for paint to stick? thanks
You just have to scuff it up enough so that it sticks. Not necessary to remove all the paint.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeItHi
Ideally, as much as you can. I track the car and didn't want too thick of a paint on there that may act as a barrier for heat to escape. No science behind it, just made me feel more comfortable doing it that way. Plus, i'll know the new paint is on good surface.

Here's my old thread.

Here's a post with several photos of how the calipers looked post-sanding and after painting but before clear.

Final outcome.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
canoncleguy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribing to this.. will do in in future. What color do you think suits Red G. Stock Silver calipers are almost unnoticeable
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by canoncleguy
Subscribing to this.. will do in in future. What color do you think suits Red G. Stock Silver calipers are almost unnoticeable
Red calipers (if they're the big Akebono sport brakes), or Black calipers if you've got the non-S brakes.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by canoncleguy
A darker shade of gold or bronze would look good on red if you really want your calipers to pop.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
nassiris90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to paint my calipers bright cherry / blood red, but Im too nervous! Maybe I'll muster up some courage and take it on.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I just want to add to this thread for researchers that you should use the Duplicolor Perfect Match Clear since the Duplicolor High Engine Heat Clear will brown so stay away from that. Also the Perfect Match Clear has the best shine when wet sanded which I recommend. Yes its not that high temp of a clear but your brakes don't heat up that much unless you track it.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
I just want to add to this thread for researchers that you should use the Duplicolor Perfect Match Clear since the Duplicolor High Engine Heat Clear will brown so stay away from that. Also the Perfect Match Clear has the best shine when wet sanded which I recommend. Yes its not that high temp of a clear but your brakes don't heat up that much unless you track it.
Interesting. I've tracked on mine several times over the past 2.5 years, the paint has held up pretty well and if the clear browned, it's hard to tell. So much so that i don't think it browned at all.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Are you 100% positive that the Duplicolor PM Clear can withstand heat from the calipers? I know it doesnt get as hot as an engine but it does get hot even when not tracked.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Interesting. I've tracked on mine several times over the past 2.5 years, the paint has held up pretty well and if the clear browned, it's hard to tell. So much so that i don't think it browned at all.
What clear coat are you talking about? The Duplicolor Engine Clear? I've used that on 3 projects, 1 for a friend and that ended in disaster. Needed to be all redone. You can even Google it for other issues people have had. If yours hasn't or you dont notice, more power to you.

Originally Posted by myk1013
Are you 100% positive that the Duplicolor PM Clear can withstand heat from the calipers? I know it doesnt get as hot as an engine but it does get hot even when not tracked.
Ask the OP(breftayka), He did this in 2011. I haven't tried it on calipers yet. I will next coming weeks. But I have had it on engine parts for over 2 years now with not one issue!

Just an Added note. Use a Base Engine primer and Paint and of course prep is everything!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 AM
noctilucous

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxime1979
Here are my calipers! I choose silver metallic decals with black edge they look awesome since my car is LP. Just Finished clear coating them this morning so i will be installing this tonight and bleeding them as well. I bought a kit of bleeders you guys know which one to bleed first since we all have 2 bleeders on each calipers?
Calipers turned out GREAT! What color did you paint them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Paint Your Calipers