D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
thanks for ur input!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
show me the proof that it changes the transmission shifting..they is no way putting a grounding kit on a car is going to make it shift any faster its impossible!!! you need to get in to the ECU and program it...

Originally Posted by AZg37
I personally disagree. While manually shifting in DS mode the car has noticeable change in lag between shifting gears. If you disagree, that's your opinion, but don't state that grounding kits do nothing like it's a fact. I installed grounding kits on both my G's and saw the same results. It's not a must, and I really only recommend it to 5AT and 7AT owners who are either audio enthusiasts or spirited drivers who enjoy DS mode, but hate trying to time your shifts because of the delay.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
show me the proof that it changes the transmission shifting..they is no way putting a grounding kit on a car is going to make it shift any faster its impossible!!! you need to get in to the ECU and program it...
Your referring to the ECU which sends a signal through a bunch of wires down through the transmission which then sends a return signal up a bunch of wires and back to the ECU right?

OK, so if I sent you to the grocery store in a bunch of traffic and then a day with no traffic, which day would be faster? No traffic? Thought so.

Better grounds can clean up electrical interference = traffic.

Same timed signal from the ECU, but getting there and back quicker because of a "cleaner" route.

Pretty simple. If you can't at bare minimum accept the idea as plausible then your retarded.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Bob (12-30-2016)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
wow now we resort to name calling huh Grow Up really...SHOW ME PROOF simple as that you cant and never will be able to you know why they are grounding wires understand that concept!!

I don't know why this is such a hard concept. The existing ground system in a properly working car has a resistance of almost zero ohms. Very little battery voltage is dropped across the ground system. By installing more grounding wires in parallel with the existing wiring, the resistance is reduced even closer to zero ohms. Consequently, whatever miniscule voltage was 'wasted' across the ground system, is now reduced even further. Per Ohm's law, the higher the current draw by the load, the more voltage will be dropped across the ground, all else being equal. That's why a good ground is essential for high amperage stereo systems and lights. However, other electrical and electronics systems typically don't care if they have 12.6 or 11.6 volts, and a good ground may make a difference of a few millivolts (1/1000 of a volt). A good ground DOES apply the full battery voltage to the load, and reduces wasted power, but it will NOT reduce the load on the battery. You will not notice the difference, and your car won't idle better, the tranny won't shift quicker, nor will the car make more power. If you like the looks, go for it. If you think it helped your car, get two of them.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
can you understand that..it will no way shape or from control the ecu to tell the transmisson to shift any faster..why is this hard to understand!!!

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Your referring to the ECU which sends a signal through a bunch of wires down through the transmission which then sends a return signal up a bunch of wires and back to the ECU right?

OK, so if I sent you to the grocery store in a bunch of traffic and then a day with no traffic, which day would be faster? No traffic? Thought so.

Better grounds can clean up electrical interference = traffic.

Same timed signal from the ECU, but getting there and back quicker because of a "cleaner" route.

Pretty simple. If you can't at bare minimum accept the idea as plausible then your retarded.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
chuckie311, I think more of what happens with the grounding kit install is it's "fixing" an inherent issue with the car in regards to proper grounds, which does have an impact on the performance of the automatic transmission.

It's been noted by many owners after grounding kit installations that the transmission response and shift times are improved.

It will also aide in an aging vehicle to keep ground connections in tact, and ensure efficiency within the electrical system. Dirt and grime over years can have an impact on performance, this is an easy step to remove that concern.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Ibanez540r

I did not say it will control or change the ECU. I was giving an example that the ECU is not changed or reprogrammed,etc. rather that the possibility of the "faster shifts" is the result of a cleaner, or faster transfer of the signal due to less interference or stray voltage. Some grounds are from one 14ga+ wire to another, and so on and can add up to a decent distance before they are actually grounded to the chassis. The grounding wires help to shorten the path and load. I agree that most grounding kits are well beyond what everyone will ever need (4 ga.) but I'm sure that is the aesthetics part of it and for the few with crazy audio systems.

I don't know why your so closed minded about the subject. I will tell you I don't even have a grounding kit, but grasp the concept and you can't ignore the 100s of reviews that all believe the shifting is improved. I also am realistic and agree that a lot of the other claims are unlikely, probably imagined due to hype, and some others are results of ECU resets due to the battery being disconnected. BUT the constant here are the transmission improvements on ATs - with some of the reviews coming from knowledgeable full out car guys, not teenage tuner punks.

For scientific sake, I would LOVE to see someone do some sort of dyno, or way to get precise info on the transmission shifts on back to back runs with and without the grounding kit.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts
Can we please not get into a debate on this DIY thread I created? If you think grounding kits are crap, cool, then don't make or install one. If you want one, now you have the steps to make and install it. Simple as that.
The following 9 users liked this post by AZg37:
37 Ace (01-16-2020), 4rnr (01-01-2014), BigSpoon (02-14-2022), littleosti (11-18-2014), Mattlorentzoe (09-20-2015), motig (10-22-2018), Mr Nurner (07-23-2015), ssscottg (07-20-2013), teonguyen (09-17-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks for this thread.

Although I am not fabricating my own (I purchased the BB pre-made set), the off-topic dialog confirmed that, for shifts alone this would be a valid install.

Nicely explained and compiled for those who have the inclination.

thanks!

Coop
Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Xenolith666

So does it, or does it not reduce the high pitched whine that comes through the speakers when the stereo is off? If yes, can I just change that one wire? If so, which wire is it. I'm not much of a music person, so I listen to the engine alot, but that noise coming through the speakers pisses me off! Thanx
I have an '08 G37S coupe
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

PM replied ^^^^
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up. In the end, I changed a few contact locations with this and ended up making an extra 1ft single wire just for the drivers TB. I guess I kinda combined this write-up with Black Betty's to get the best of both worlds.

Your directions were very easy to follow....and i was truly skeptical about the results of this mod until I tried it and FELT how much smoother the car shifts and how much faster the triptronic response is.

Thanks again for a great write-up.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you very much! I've been waiting for someone to post the proper/required lengths. Such an easy, inexpensive project!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

No problem guys!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
oh yeah what do you notice??? because grounding your car isent going to make it shift any different!!
Have you even tried out the Grounding kit? If not then how can you say it doesn't work?

Originally Posted by AZg37
I personally disagree. While manually shifting in DS mode the car has noticeable change in lag between shifting gears. If you disagree, that's your opinion, but don't state that grounding kits do nothing like it's a fact. I installed grounding kits on both my G's and saw the same results. It's not a must, and I really only recommend it to 5AT and 7AT owners who are either audio enthusiasts or spirited drivers who enjoy DS mode, but hate trying to time your shifts because of the delay.
Exactly what he said. My friend had a 08 g37s 5AT and when I first drove the car it did not have any grounding wires (aka kit) and saw a lot of lag between the shifting of gears but when she got the black betty ground kit it made a lot of difference. I saw the throttle response was a lot better.

Also many people didn't know that it also helps with 6mt also. If you haven't noticed 6mt have a slight lag to them also and tested out the grounding wires and I am going to get one for the 6mt.

To bad black betty doesn't sell them anymore =(.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Graspod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About how much does this end up costing? I have no idea what the price on the wire is

Quick Reply: DIY: Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!