D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: GT-R Start Button Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Mazaki

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Xenolith666
So I just got out of the car and was looking at the steering column, and I swear I don't have that gap after moving the steering wheel up and back. I think I'm gonna have to remove some plastic pieces underneath the steering wheel to access the start button. My G is a 2008 btw.
Hmmm, it should be there... Is it a coupe of a sedan? My car is a coupe, the sedan may be a little different.

Pics?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Up and toward you.

I got in my car (2008), and was able to feel the button assembly like in the video.

Also, SRG did it (I think he was the first one to post a pic), and he has a 2008.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No worries, I got it done. 2008 coupe and the gap was very small so I had to pull down the plastic undercarriage to the steering wheel a little bit to make some room! But once the button was out it wasn't a problem to switch out the insides and get it back in, then just pop the undercarriage back on. I did take some pics, but I'm at work and camera's at home. But you guys know what it looks like already! Thanx for the DIY!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Brooklynstar23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my button will not pop out i tried everything the best i can do get half of it out...it seems theres two clips on either side that need to be depressed before the entire button comes out...my hand can only reach 1 clip the other clip is too hard to get too....im a strong guy and it wont come out i dont want to break it any feedback on this?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Xenolith666

Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23
my button will not pop out i tried everything the best i can do get half of it out...it seems theres two clips on either side that need to be depressed before the entire button comes out...my hand can only reach 1 clip the other clip is too hard to get too....im a strong guy and it wont come out i dont want to break it any feedback on this?
I had the same issue, use a long flathead screwdriver and you should be able to pop the other clip on the right side. I was on my back on the floor mat looking up at it. It is a pain, but just be patient with it! You can also pop off the plastic undercarriage of the steering column on the right side (if looking at the steering wheel) to give you a little extra room. All the other panel pieces are attached with screws and such and are a bitch to get off.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Brooklynstar23

Originally Posted by Xenolith666
I had the same issue, use a long flathead screwdriver and you should be able to pop the other clip on the right side. I was on my back on the floor mat looking up at it. It is a pain, but just be patient with it! You can also pop off the plastic undercarriage of the steering column on the right side (if looking at the steering wheel) to give you a little extra room. All the other panel pieces are attached with screws and such and are a bitch to get off.
I did the same thing as you. I layed on my back, looking up all the while removing the black plastic shroud on the bottom. My problem isnt the right clip (the one closest to me) its the clip on the opposite side so its almost on top of the button. A flat head wont reach because it's blocked by the plastic cover thats above it....no idea how to remove that...but i sat in my car for 45 mins trying to think of a way to get to that other clip and nothing is feasable...wish i knew a 5 year old with little hands so they could help bc thats the size hands its going to take to get into that little crevice!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Xenolith666

Hhmmm, if looking at the button, there's the black center piece (the button itself) and then there's a white cover piece (which is the chrome piece). If on the floor looking up you can easily pop the tab on the left side of the white shroud. The right side you should see a metal brace, the other tab is basically behind that. So if you put the flathead screwdriver between the brace and the button, you should be able to pop the right tab. You do kinda have to do it blind and just guesstimate. Once you get it out the rest is easy. Hope you get it done!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Brooklynstar23

^^ tyvm for taking the time to help me. I am at work right now but when I get home i will check it out and report back
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Xenolith666

Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23
^^ tyvm for taking the time to help me. I am at work right now but when I get home i will check it out and report back
Word up.. don't give up on it, the button does look good! Just stay patient as you don't want to break a clip or something else vital!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What's the part# for the gtr button???
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM
silverg37

I just bought the gtr start up button but i just CAN Not get my hands in their... i tried pushing that wire and i see that the button is about to come out. I am not sure what i am doing wrong.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Arcee@OCInfiniti
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3BEP6
Very nice write up, where do you guys buy the buttons from?
We stock these here at OC Infiniti as well

We are even offering these as upgrades for new car purchases , some clients have wanted it from the get go
Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 AM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Although the gap was big enough for me to get my fingers through to push on the button, it was an awkward position, so I couldn't push hard enough.

The easiest way in my opinion (and they way I did it) was to remove the lower piece under the steering column (just pull off the trim, and undo the metal bracket with a philips head screwdriver). I was able to get my whole hand behind the button and get enough leverage while pushing to pop it out easily.

Easy, good looking mod!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
accohn12

I second this question. Anyone? And is this something that most Infiniti dealers stock?

Originally Posted by gtracing
What's the part# for the gtr button???
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
dagon68
Registered Member

I think it's 25151-JF00A

Quick Reply: DIY: GT-R Start Button Installation