D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Changing rear differential gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
All of the factory fill fluids are Nissan.
I like this guy.....
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
He's asking who actually makes Nissan oil.

I guess I should have been more specific, like what is the specification of the factory fill. I am really trying to find the actual viscosity ratings and VI, but if someone knew the name I could track down the specs. TVPostSound understood the gist of the question.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
I guess I should have been more specific, like what is the specification of the factory fill. I am really trying to find the actual viscosity ratings and VI, but if someone knew the name I could track down the specs. TVPostSound understood the gist of the question.
Oh,I thought you actually meant what brand is it. For the '08 I posted the viscosity in the first post. I haven't checked to see if it's changed in subsequent years but I doubt it. I don't know all the egghead technical specs of the fluid, only the viscosity.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:54 AM
LTrainG37

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did this yesterday. I was going to jack up all 4 corners at first but decided I'd try and get under the car without putting it on stands. Was able to squeeze my way under the rear of the car (and I'm not a small dude at 6' 220 lbs) and get the fill plug out first, then drained the fluid into my catch pan. Let it drain for a good 20 minutes while I changed the cabin air filter... easy peasy. Made me miss wrenching on my Jeep and my truck that I had before this car, but it was nice not having to remove the diff cover and deal with the RTV and all that.

The fluid that came out was the factory fluid - had 33.5K miles on it and looked/smelled normal. Pic of the drain plug below. Filled it with Mobil1 75W-90.

The following users liked this post:
Spyders (01-08-2022)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL

Pull the cover,,,,,,,,,geesh! Nice way to be diplomatic Double B.

Bandit..................

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The thread's intent was simply a how to on how to perform the PM of changing the differential fluid, not anything detailed or with any expanded application other than basic maintenance. However, feel free to add to this write up with photos and the steps for pulling the differential cover and what to inspect for inside. You can expand it's scope since this a field of expertise for you.

It seemed to be wearing fine from what I can tell by looking at the fluid. But I'll know much more when it's time for the gear swap and a professional with a lot more expertise than me tears it open.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 PM
KENNEDY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question regarding friction modifier-

To my limited knowledge.. TV was suggesting adding a friction modifier because you have the S with limited slip diff.

I have the journey, no lsd, so I don't have to add a friction modifier?

I'm planning on using Mobil 1 75W-90.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Bringing this back since im looking at doing my diff fluids. I have an LSD, so if i get the this Motul Performance Oil Store - MOTUL Authorized Dealer , I do not need to add the modifier as well? Or do i still need to add the modifier?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
most guys will do just fine without the modifier. just listen when you are rounding tight corners. if you hear/feel some chatter then you should add it after.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
most guys will do just fine without the modifier. just listen when you are rounding tight corners. if you hear/feel some chatter then you should add it after.
I did a little more research and the Motul 300LS is all i need. Its made for Nissan LSD's so i should be fine. A local guy is running in it his 575 whp TT 370 and has never had a problem.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 PM
canoncleguy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks a lot! I am planning to do my 60K service very soon and this is one of the DIYs I am looking for.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
OMG35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what does chatter feel/sound like from the differential and when would you hear/feel it?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Chatter sounds/feels like the rear end is binding up. Easiest way to test for this is to to turn the steering wheel hard lock to one direction, then start moving at slow speed. If there's no binding/chattering (keep windows down), then you're fine.

I'd get this occasionally in my old taxi cab (posi rear end) when I didn't use the additive.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm going to use the Amsoil synthetic gear lube. The product description says it's compatible with most LSD's but if chatter occurs to use their additive. I'd really rather not have to jack the car up and get under it again to add the additive after the fact if I need it. Is there any harm in just including it in the first place? Or does the Amsoil lube alone reliably provide everything our cars need?
The following users liked this post:
handleandrew (09-28-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by sydnrusty
I'm going to use the Amsoil synthetic gear lube. The product description says it's compatible with most LSD's but if chatter occurs to use their additive. I'd really rather not have to jack the car up and get under it again to add the additive after the fact if I need it. Is there any harm in just including it in the first place? Or does the Amsoil lube alone reliably provide everything our cars need?
I have the amsoil in my pumpkin, and I have zero chatter and have had no problems at all.

I'd hold off on the additive, but to answer your question....I don't think it would harm anything to just include it anyway.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 AM
kdawg8526
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
sorry if this has been covered but is it ok to use motul pa 90 lsd gear oil for the vlsd differential?

Quick Reply: DIY: Changing rear differential gear oil