D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Removing Front Grille

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tried this first thing in the morning and cracked my radiator cover as well lol...anyone know what to do with those thick wires connected to the underside of the radiator cover? I don't think it's okay to snip those off...help!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ahmsg420
I just tried this first thing in the morning and cracked my radiator cover as well lol...anyone know what to do with those thick wires connected to the underside of the radiator cover? I don't think it's okay to snip those off...help!

if you cut those you will never be able to open your trunk again.

the white pieces holding the trunk hood just snap open. the black clips can be removed by either using your fingers or pliars and squeezing both sides and they slide out.

if those are the things giving people problems they might need to take it to the dealer to be done
The following users liked this post:
bikezilla (11-17-2015)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag

if you cut those you will never be able to open your trunk again.

the white pieces holding the trunk hood just snap open. the black clips can be removed by either using your fingers or pliars and squeezing both sides and they slide out.

if those are the things giving people problems they might need to take it to the dealer to be done
hahah I just took them out and after I did I thought to myself "im going to get grilled for asking such a question" I tend to freak out a bit when doing things for the first time...

anyways thanks! everything worked fine... great DIY
Old 05-19-2010, 12:07 AM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

Everything worked fine? You cracked your radiator cover. That sucks. lol
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 AM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Originally Posted by unctype-s
Everything worked fine? You cracked your radiator cover. That sucks. lol
It's not that bad really...plus before I started working on it I called my dealer and asked how much it would cost to have the grill removed by them and they told me $160 ....so screw that! I'd rather crack my radiator twice than pay that much for such an easy job! not to mention that there's nothing like the feeling of getting something done well with your own hands
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

$160 for removing the grille?!?!?! wow, what a scam...I'd do it for $25, it takes MAYBE 5 minutes
Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great DIY man, thx.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

WTF, i just killed my car doing this DIY, i just finished putting it back together and now my car won't start, doesn't want to turn over, kind of like if it's got a low battery (but it dont) I must have ****ed w/ the cables (i was pretty sure i was being gentlle) anyone know what the thicker cables are for??? (not the hood release ones) I'm going to start taking it apart now. Anyone got an idea what happned???
Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PeTeToTe
WTF, i just killed my car doing this DIY, i just finished putting it back together and now my car won't start, doesn't want to turn over, kind of like if it's got a low battery (but it dont) I must have ****ed w/ the cables (i was pretty sure i was being gentlle) anyone know what the thicker cables are for??? (not the hood release ones) I'm going to start taking it apart now. Anyone got an idea what happned???
How could you kill your car?! There is nothing near that area that would cause the car to not run. I believe the thicker cables are just for the temperature reading inside the car.

And even then unless you cut those cables they shouldn't be affected (you should have to be really rough with them to do something)

There has to be something else you did that is causing the car to mess up
Old 07-25-2010, 03:30 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
How could you kill your car?! There is nothing near that area that would cause the car to not run. I believe the thicker cables are just for the temperature reading inside the car.

And even then unless you cut those cables they shouldn't be affected (you should have to be really rough with them to do something)

There has to be something else you did that is causing the car to mess up

IDK what i could have done either, I parked the car yesteday in the garage, and i just intalled the grill today, finished up and it wouln't turn over. IDK if they just Temp gauges, onyoneknow what is that SS cylinder to the passenger side of the radiator?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
They must have changed things for 2010... unless it's the same for the sedans... I tried taking my cover off earlier tonight. There's some heavier wires/corrugated hose clipped nice and tight onto the underside of the cover. It makes it very difficult to pull the cover back and off, and you cannot unclip those damn things in order to put the cover aside. I also unbolted that reservoir behind it. There was no way I could pull the cover back enough over those two little posts in the middle without that step.

So, for the 2010 sedans at least... the only possible way I see to remove the grill is to remove the front bumper.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
I have removed grills on sedans before but they were 08s and 09s , havent touched an 10 sedan yet. I found it easier to remove the grill on the sedans than the coupes dunno why. if you guys need help just email me at ipg37@yahoo.com
Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Eh brain fart on my behalf. Just gotta reach in more than I did and press those little clip things harder. lol
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It definitely helps to remove the screw from the white reservoir to allow the cover to slide back enough to pop out from the 2 posts in the middle.

Also, pliers really helped with the wire harness clips attached to the cover...
The following users liked this post:
bikezilla (11-17-2015)
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

I used a pair of long hemostats for the clips on the wire harness. That worked great too!

Quick Reply: DIY: Removing Front Grille