D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Removing Front Grille

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 813G
F the tricky part

Same.

After removing all the screws and tabs for the radiator cover it just wouldn't budge. I tried the finger seperation method and than CRAACK! I put a nice 3 inch crack in the center of the radiator cover from flexing it.

Even then I couldn't get it out, how did you guys manage to get the radiator cover out with those large tabs sliding under the front bumper?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you have to pull the front of the bumper a little bit...that is crazy that you cracked the radiator cover!! I have pulled and torqued mine like crazy and its never had any problems...
Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 PM
sick6speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually did the same thing...there's 2 tabs at the middle top where you cracked it thats holding it in. You have to push it out past that first before allowing some room to play with.
Originally Posted by Namir
Same.

After removing all the screws and tabs for the radiator cover it just wouldn't budge. I tried the finger seperation method and than CRAACK! I put a nice 3 inch crack in the center of the radiator cover from flexing it.

Even then I couldn't get it out, how did you guys manage to get the radiator cover out with those large tabs sliding under the front bumper?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
you have to pull the front of the bumper a little bit...that is crazy that you cracked the radiator cover!! I have pulled and torqued mine like crazy and its never had any problems...
Don't know, I thought it would come out but it didn't. Kind of sucks that it cracked but its not too visible.

Originally Posted by sick6speed
I actually did the same thing...there's 2 tabs at the middle top where you cracked it thats holding it in. You have to push it out past that first before allowing some room to play with.
Thanks for the info, I think next time I get a chance to mess with it I'm going to just take off the bumper first.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
w0ady

just remove your front bumper. it takes all of 10 mins with jacking the car up.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Namir
Registered Member

Originally Posted by w0ady
Yea that's the plan now. Why did you jack the car up, is it just so that you can turn the wheels and get to the bolts without starting the car?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
JMacsG37

Originally Posted by w0ady

What kind of clips are at the bottom of the bumper, I've only pulled it out to take the headlights out in Igor's DIY. It the same little plastic clips that are on the front of the radiator cover?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:46 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

^^^they are 10mm bolts man. Theirs like 7 of em or so.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:00 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
So, removing the radiator cover did not go as planned with the DIY on a vert There's a conduit for some wires under there which I did not feel comfortable messing with. So a bumper removal seems to be the only other way. I think I'll have my dealer do it for me since I have no jack.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
813G

yeah I'm riding with the new stylish cracked radiator cover..everyone's doing it. I thought about maybe replacing it with the CF one but with my luck I would crack that too.

I think you can unbolt the reservoir that is in the way of the 2 notches above the cover. That way you can just slide it off. Then the clips on the harness connecting to the grill you just push one side with a screwdriver then the other and slide it out.
The following users liked this post:
bikezilla (11-17-2015)
Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice i may need this one day
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Spanky G

Originally Posted by 813G
yeah I'm riding with the new stylish cracked radiator cover..everyone's doing it. I thought about maybe replacing it with the CF one but with my luck I would crack that too.

I think you can unbolt the reservoir that is in the way of the 2 notches above the cover. That way you can just slide it off. Then the clips on the harness connecting to the grill you just push one side with a screwdriver then the other and slide it out.
Glad to see you are in with the new style cracked rad cover like myself.

As people are mentioning the back of the cover (towards back of car) right in the middle may get snagged if you don't pull it back properly. The DIY is great and only took a few minutes but I unfortunately cracked my cover as well.

Put the midnight grille on OB - looking good unless I pop the hood
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 PM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

Thanks for the write up! Will give this a GO on Saturday or Sunday if it's nice out. Definately going to try and keep the radiator cover uncracked! LOL
Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 PM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

Completed this lastnight with the help of my buddy who is a mechanic for Mercedes. We found it a bit easier to remove the bolts holding in the coolant resevoir tank. Otherwise, pretty simple removal/install.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 PM
l2awin

+1 for removing the coolant reservoir's bolts. I couldn't get the cover out w/out removing it.

Quick Reply: DIY: Removing Front Grille