D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Hotchkis F&R Sway bar install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by 04STi208G37
Any body got any ideas on where the plastic stick on Hotchkis emblems go?
Slap them conspicuously on the outside of your windows somewhere so people know you spent money on performance suspension parts. This will make the other kids think you are cooler. And add 15 WHP.

Originally Posted by kkokko
anyone hear creaking noise, from the front when going over speed bumps at low speed?
Something is wrong. Not tightened or lubricated would be my guess, but take it back and have them ride with you over a bump so they can hear it then ask them to go back under and fix it correctly.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey blackbetty,

Any reason why you chose those torque settings? I noticed in the factory specs they have higher torque.

Front

endlinks = 84ft-lb
bushings = 50.5ft-lb

Rears

endlinks = 55ft-lb
bushings = 33.5ft-lb

Should I be using those factory torque settings or your, and to add to the confusion.. the hotchkis manual says 40ft-lb....

***CORRECTION******

Front
Endlinks: 62ft-lbs
Bushings: 37ft-lbs

Rear
Endlinks: 41ft-lbs
Bushings: 25ft-lbs

Last edited by kkokko; 04-30-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Corrected torque specs
Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by kkokko
Hey blackbetty,

Any reason why you chose those torque settings? I noticed in the factory specs they have higher torque.

Front

endlinks = 84ft-lb
bushings = 50.5ft-lb

Rears

endlinks = 55ft-lb
bushings = 33.5ft-lb

Should I be using those factory torque settings or your, and to add to the confusion.. the hotchkis manual says 40ft-lb....
The last number in parenthesis is ft-lb (foot pounds). As I am in the States, this is the most common measurement that I am familiar with using. The numbers you posted are the torque spec in N/m or Newton meters (not ft-lb) which is some metric garbage for the rest of the world. As everything in the FSM is in N/m by default, you must use the last number if you want to torque to ft-lb.

However, I incorrectly said the rear end link nut should be torqued to 62 and the correct spec is actually only 41. I'll correct it now, good catch.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

ahh I totally didnt see the parenthesis, ok it makes sense now.. thanks betty =)
Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 AM
AussieV36

very helpful writeup thanks
quick question as i am a newbie to suspension diy how do i torque the bolts to the specific settings you described? special wrench/feel? I was just going to undo the bolts and tighten them back up as tight as possible when i replaced the sways lol
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 PM
greek_infiniti9

^go get a torque wrench
Old 09-10-2009, 02:24 AM
AussieV36

yep all good, asked about it in the auto shop and he helped me out
did the fronts today what a major difference!
can't wait to finish the back tomorrow
Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 AM
dantris2010

My car: 2009 G37S sedan

After some research on these forums (thanks to black betty for his insightful reviews and dyi) I upgraded to hotchkis bars.

I installed the front one myself (just because all the shops were busy) and I didn't want to wait, but ended up installing the rear at Beshoff dealership.

1) Torque specs posted by black betty are for g37 coupe. The 2009 g37 sedan torque spec for bushings is somewhat different.

Front bar:
Bushings: 38 ft/lbs
Endlinks: 62 ft/lbs

Rear bar:
Bushings: 33 ft/lbs
Endlinks: 41 ft/lbs

2) Be careful not to loose the bags with silicon grease if doing your own install because it seems it is not that easily obtainable as I thought. A visit to Kragen and a local auto parts store turned up nothing but lithium based grease.

3) Unless you can borrow or already have all the necessary tools, really like to work on you car, like to lie beneath the car for couple of hours - I would recommend to do a professional install. The professional install costs vary from $130-$160 for both bars.

Just the parts alone will cost in the vicinity of $140 including breaker bar, metric ratchets, ramps, torque wrench, wheels chocks, and etc.

4) Unlike the front bar, the rear bar sits much futher away from the rear end of the car. If you have a stock exhaust and will require the tunnel brace to be removed, then having car raised using the blitz ramps will not give you really much clearance to work in the center portion of you car.

5) Feelings about the handling after the install:

Performance:
The turn-in, the steering response time and crispiness are all extremely improved. What seemed to be an immense body roll when taking a corner is now gone. Even when driving in the straight line you get some feeling of the whole car being more wound up and awaiting for your command. I had the chance to take the car to the twisties on highway 9 (big basin) and the drive seemed spectacular - suddenly you were not simply driving a "large" heavy luxury sedan. Going from one corner to the next corner, the car seemed amazingly nimble, always ready to play. And since the body roll was now a thing of the past, you could actually use that power under the hood to propel it out of the corner sooner. Fun - unlocked. I can only wonder at how the car handles with quality coilovers installed and the car lowered.

Ride comfort: At first I was going to write that the car should have come setup this way from the beginning. But after having a chance to drive it some more time, I now realize that the ride might not satisfy everyone. The ride quality does suffer, with the ride becoming harsher and bumpier. I felt more imperfections of the road and also the noise levels on some rough road surfaces seemed to increase. This is all especially true, since the ride of the Infiniti is hardly on the suppleness level of say BMW to begin with. Overall however, the small deterioration of the ride quality is a welcome tradeoff for those seeking a true sport performance from their g37.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:05 AM
STRAN

Good DIY write up.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:11 PM
jabrother

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dantris2010
My car: 2009 G37S sedan

After some research on these forums (thanks to black betty for his insightful reviews and dyi) I upgraded to hotchkis bars.

I installed the front one myself (just because all the shops were busy) and I didn't want to wait, but ended up installing the rear at Beshoff dealership.

1) Torque specs posted by black betty are for g37 coupe. The 2009 g37 sedan torque spec for bushings is somewhat different.

Front bar:
Bushings: 38 ft/lbs
Endlinks: 62 ft/lbs

Rear bar:
Bushings: 33 ft/lbs
Endlinks: 41 ft/lbs

2) Be careful not to loose the bags with silicon grease if doing your own install because it seems it is not that easily obtainable as I thought. A visit to Kragen and a local auto parts store turned up nothing but lithium based grease.

3) Unless you can borrow or already have all the necessary tools, really like to work on you car, like to lie beneath the car for couple of hours - I would recommend to do a professional install. The professional install costs vary from $130-$160 for both bars.

Just the parts alone will cost in the vicinity of $140 including breaker bar, metric ratchets, ramps, torque wrench, wheels chocks, and etc.

4) Unlike the front bar, the rear bar sits much futher away from the rear end of the car. If you have a stock exhaust and will require the tunnel brace to be removed, then having car raised using the blitz ramps will not give you really much clearance to work in the center portion of you car.

5) Feelings about the handling after the install:

Performance:
The turn-in, the steering response time and crispiness are all extremely improved. What seemed to be an immense body roll when taking a corner is now gone. Even when driving in the straight line you get some feeling of the whole car being more wound up and awaiting for your command. I had the chance to take the car to the twisties on highway 9 (big basin) and the drive seemed spectacular - suddenly you were not simply driving a "large" heavy luxury sedan. Going from one corner to the next corner, the car seemed amazingly nimble, always ready to play. And since the body roll was now a thing of the past, you could actually use that power under the hood to propel it out of the corner sooner. Fun - unlocked. I can only wonder at how the car handles with quality coilovers installed and the car lowered.

Ride comfort: At first I was going to write that the car should have come setup this way from the beginning. But after having a chance to drive it some more time, I now realize that the ride might not satisfy everyone. The ride quality does suffer, with the ride becoming harsher and bumpier. I felt more imperfections of the road and also the noise levels on some rough road surfaces seemed to increase. This is all especially true, since the ride of the Infiniti is hardly on the suppleness level of say BMW to begin with. Overall however, the small deterioration of the ride quality is a welcome tradeoff for those seeking a true sport performance from their g37.
Hi, I was thinking of having Beshoff install a Stillen exhaust and these Hotchkis bars. What did they charge you just to install the rear bar?

What settings did you put your bars on? Do you think the ride deterioration depends on the bar settings or just upgrading the bars is enough to deteriorate even on the lowest setting?

Thanks for the great info!!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Ron

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Making sure I understand the silicone grease thing. The grease is to be used on the inner bushing housing where the sway bar slides in, right?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
The silicone grease can be had at Leslie's Pool supply.
It's rubber friendly, made to lube rubber filter o-rings and seals.
They call it Magic Lube.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Ron
Making sure I understand the silicone grease thing. The grease is to be used on the inner bushing housing where the sway bar slides in, right?

Thanks,
Ron
Yes. Where the bar goes through the busing, as in this photo. There is plenty of lube in the enclosed packages. I also used it where the bracket holds the bushing as well, just to be safe. I haven't had even the slightest squeak yet.
Name:  ce2864f8.jpg
Views: 3478
Size:  108.1 KB
Old 09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
dantris2010

Originally Posted by jabrother
Hi, I was thinking of having Beshoff install a Stillen exhaust and these Hotchkis bars. What did they charge you just to install the rear bar?

What settings did you put your bars on? Do you think the ride deterioration depends on the bar settings or just upgrading the bars is enough to deteriorate even on the lowest setting?

Thanks for the great info!!
I think it was $80 for the rear bar. It is set to the middle setting right now. Once installed, it is fairly easy to change its stiffness setting.

I don't think the deterioration in the comfort is that significant - probably very small. But many people think that stock Sport suspension is already pretty harsh so I just wanted to warn that you don't get something for nothing.

However, as mentioned in many forums, middle hole is the advised and recommended setting used by many board members. Changing rear bar stiffness will also affect oversteer/understeer and wheel traction with the road.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks Jeremy, your write up made my install a breeze.

Quick Reply: DIY: Hotchkis F&R Sway bar install