D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Removing Amber/headlight baking.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Protein Shakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, thanks for making such a great DIY. Love the happy faces too.
Members can refer to this as a step to also change the headight bulbs, adjust the headlights and to remove the front grille.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
G-WIZ KID

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with BlackDiamondG. I was gonna try and make it shorter and neater.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Sick write up bro thanks a lot!! Look forward to the rest. Would you mind when you got done if I edited the thread and put it all into one post with the pictures hosted elsewhere? Makes for a neater DIY.
sure go ahead
Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Alright just let me know when your done posting everything.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unv, you are the man! hopefully i will have time to do this, school starts tomorrow .
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 PM
UNV-IT46

Next you will need to remove 4 10mm bolts that hold the head lights to the car.

In PICS#1,2,3,4 again all bolts that need to be removed are CIRCLED in RED. and again DO NOT TOUCH THE ITEMS WITH THE YELLOW X's.

The first bolt in PIC#1 is on top under the plastic panel you removed and pulled aside.

The second in PIC#2 is again on the upper portion

The third bolt in PIC#3 in below the head light unit right next to the large silver bumper brace.

The fourth bolt in PIC#4 is where the bumper meets the fender where you first started removing the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1464.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1465.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1466.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1467.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
UNV-IT46

Now although the 4 main 10mm bolts are removed not and the housing itself is no longer connected to the car there are still two more items you need to undo in order to get the housing off the car.

First there is a wire bundle that is cliped onto the housing. To access it you must go through the opening in the wheel well area you created. In PIC#1 you can see the wire bundle pointed at with the PINK ARROW the clip you need to undo is the same style clip that you first removed on the rad panel that held the previous wire bundle on. So you will use the same squeezing method to remove this one. In PIC#1 the clip is CIRCLED in YELLOW. Its on the inside of braket pointed at with the RED ARROW. Its a tight squeeze so if you have fat fingers this is where you will need the needle nose pliers. Be patient it's not the easiest clip to get undone. take you time and you will get it.

Now the second item that you need to remove is the main light harness. You can see it when looking from above the light in the hood area. Shine a light down and you will see the harness as shown in in PIC#2 CIRCLED in RED. you will see a little button/prong you need to push in order for the harness to come apart. Once you have done this pull apart as the YELLOW ARROW and PINK ARROW show.

Once you have done this the headlight is now ready to remove. Slowly just slide the head light forward. AGAIN BECAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE LIGHT. WATCH THE FENDERS AND CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE LIGHT AND FENDER TO NOT SCRATCH THE FENDER OR HEADLIGHT COVER. once you do this you should have the light out as in PIC#3
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1469.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1471.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1472.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
UNV-IT46

Next you will need to remove all the items from the light. start off putting one of the towels you got earlier on the floor so you can rest the light on something while you unscrew the items and you wont need to worry about scratching anything.

First you need to remove the large plastic braket on the lower half of the light. flip the light upside down so the bottom half is facing upwards. as you can see in PIC#1 the bracket is CIRCLED in YELLOW. you will need to remove the two phillip head screws that are CIRCLED in RED. Once you remove those screws the bracket will come right off.

Next you will need to remove the 3 phillip head screws CIRCLED in RED in PIC#2 from the HID ballast.

Next you need to remove the HID wire harness from the HID ballast. As you can see in PIC#3 the harness is CIRCLED in RED push down on the clip and pull outwards as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW.

Next as seen in PIC#4 remove the HID ballast CIRCLED in RED as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW.once you do this remove the small phillips head screw circled in blue. once you do this remove the brown harness clip CIRCLED in BROWN

Next as seen in PIC#5 remove the HID ballast CIRCLED in RED away as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW and DO NOT TOUCH THE SMALL SCREW WITH THE PINK X
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1473.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1474.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1481.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1491.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1493.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 PM
UNV-IT46

Next you will start the whole process of removing the whole headlight wire harness.

First as seen in PIC#1 remove the parking light CIRCLED in PINK by TWISTING FIRST as indicated with the BLUE ARROW 2nd PULL OUT as indicated with the WHITE ARROW. above that light there is a bracket that needs to be removed also so you can go ahead and do it now. The bracket is CIRCLED in YELLOW and the small phillips head screw is CIRCLED in RED. remove the screw and bracket.

Next remove the amber blinker right above the parking light you just removed. In PIC#2 remove the light CIRCLED in RED. again as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW TWIST FIRST then PULL SECOND as indicated with the BLUE ARROW.

Next remove the next parking light as indicated in PIC#3 CIRCLED in RED is the light again TWIST FIRST as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW and PULL OUT as indicated with the BLUE ARROW.

Next you will need to work on the fog lamp area.
as indicated in PIC# 4 you will first need to remove the cover CIRCLED in RED. TWIST as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW. once you get that off you will see the fog lamp area CIRCLED in WHITE. DO NOT TOUCH THE BLUE SCREWS. First pull back the main wire for the fog indicated with the PINK ARROW. again there is another bracket that needs to be removed CIRCLED in GREEN. remove the two phillip head screws CIRCLED in WHITE. once you remove the screws the bracket will come off.

Once you do this you have another wire that needs to be removed from the fog light. as you can see in PIC#5 you have the black wire CIRCLED in RED pull outwards as shown with the PINK ARROW. again no not touch the screws with the YELLOW X's. Next you will need to remove the spring clamp that holds the bulb in place CIRCLED in BLUE. You need to unclip starting at the location where the GREEN ARROW starts. Now here is where i ran into a problem. for some reason my clamps did not want to come off easy. i tried being careful but it would just not budge. It took a good amount of force for me to get the clamps undone. and for some reason when the clamp came undone it snapped out pretty hard and broke both of my fog lamp bulbs. i have no idea why or how it did this but it did on both fogs not just one. I am replacing mine so i dont really care. but it is something to take note of.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1482.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1483.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1484.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1487.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1488.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
UNV-IT46

Next you will start the process of removing the HID bulb. First as you can see in PIC#1 my broken fog bulb.

You need to first remove the back cover of the HID bulb as you can see in PIC#2 CIRCLED in RED twist open as the YELLOW ARROW indicates.

Once you have done this remove the HID back cover as shown in PIC#3 CIRCLED in RED pull away as indicated with the BLUE ARROW to show the HID area.

Now in PIC#4 you can see the whole HID bulb assembly. the rear of the HID harness is CIRCLED in PINK. There is another spring clamp like the one on the fog light system pointed at with the GREEN ARROW. This one has two clamps instead of one. I could not get a detailed pic of the spring because the hid harness blocks it. But when you look in you will see them. You will need to use the needle nose pliers again to remove this clamp unless your have baby fingers. Once you do this the bulb and end of the harness will come out. You will need to twist the lower half of the bulb and remove it from the harness. You need two hands to do this so i could not take a pic of this but its really simple. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL TO NOT TOUCH THIS BULB AT ALL OR BUMP IT INTO ANYTHING BECAUSE IT WILL BREAK. Once you remove that you need to unclip the next harness clip CIRCLED in RED. Pull as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW.

In PIC#5 you can a more detailed pic of the clip you need to undo. again CIRCLED in RED. slide out as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1489.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1485.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1486.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1490.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1494.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
UNV-IT46

I have to eat some dinner and i will keep going
Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow bro I applaud you again for taking the time to write all of this up. Let me know either in the last post or a new post after that that you are finished and I will clean it up into one post.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
UNV-IT46

Now you must remove the final plug that holds the wire harness in on the head light.

As you can see in PIC#1 there is a large rubber gasket CIRCLED in RED holding green and black wires into the housing. Just take the needle nose pliers and just pull the plug out as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW. DO NOT TOUCH THE SCREW WITH THE BLUE X.

Now you can remove the whole wire harness and it should look like PIC#2
set aside

Next you need to remove another bracket. as you can see in PIC#3 the bracket is CIRCLED in PINK. Remove the two phillip head screws CIRCLED in RED. DO NOT TOUCH THE BOLT WITH THE YELLOW X. One the screws are out the bracket will come off set aside.

Next you have another bracket to remove. as you can see in PIC#4 CIRCLED in YELLOW remove the two phillip head screws CIRCLED in RED. again once off set aside.

Next you have to remove the large bracket on top of the light. as you can see in PIC#5 CIRCLED in YELLOW. remove the 4 phillip head screws CIRCLED in RED. Notice that the two top bolts are different then the two bottom and remember where they go. set aside.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1495.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1496.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1497.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1498.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1499.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 PM
UNV-IT46

Now you must remove 6 total Phillip head screws from the outer portion of the headlight housing.

as you can see in PIC#1 remove the screw CIRCLED in RED. There is also another bracket that needs to be removed CIRCLED in PINK. remove the screw CIRCLED in YELLOW and put both aside.

In PIC#2 remove the screw CIRCLED in RED.

PIC#3 remove the screw CIRCLED in RED.

PIC#4 remove the screw CIRCLED in RED

PIC#5 remove the screw CIRCLED in RED. plus the bracket CIRCLED in PINK remove screws CIRCLED in YELLOW
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1475.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1476.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1477.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1478.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1479.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
UNV-IT46

You have one more screw to remove from the housing as you can see in PIC#1 CIRCLED in RED.

At this point all brackets and screws should be removed from the headlight minus the ones I had the X's over. If you missed a screw or bracket go back and remove it.

One thing to note is this. The main HID cable THE BRIGHT SILVER CABLE INSIDE THE HOUSING WITH THE LARGE METAL END WHERE THE HID BULB CONNECTS INTO DOES NOT COME OUT OF THE HOUSING. DONT TRY TO REMOVE IT AS YOU WILL BREAK IT. IT STAYS ON AND YOU PUT THIS IN THE OVEN. IT WILL NOT HURT THE CABLE DONT WORRY.

Now its time to get ready to bake the lights. you need to have a couple things handy for this part.

Gloves
two towels
torch
2 flat head screw drivers
sealant

In PIC#2 you can see the torch i used to heat the flat head screw driver. you will get the details of this later on.

In PIC#3 you can see the kind of sealant I use. I pick this up as my local Walmart.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1480.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1517.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1543.jpg  

Quick Reply: Removing Amber/headlight baking.......