D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect

Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect

Ok here are the instructions for the easy ECU reset as posted on g35driver.com ( I have changed a few things specific to the G37)

Read the process a few times before you try to do this its ALL ABOUT TIMING:

1) With the key in your pocket/car, push the Engine Start button TWICE (so the car is fully on, but not started)
2) Within three seconds of the car "ON" (again NOT started), Floor (all the way down) and Release the gas pedal fully 5 times within 5 seconds. Do not do this too fast.. 1..2..3..4..5
3) Wait 7 seconds then floor the gas pedal and hold for 10 seconds. After that 10 seconds the Check Engine Light will start to blink slowly.
4) Release the pedal and floor it down once again and hold for 10 seconds. After these 10 seconds the check engine light will disappear then begin to flash much more rapidly. After you have done the following turn the car off and then back on. The ECU is now reset!!

Again, this reset is all about timing, if it does not work for you, try try again until it does! I JUST did this and it works just fine!

Here is some more information regarding the ECU and why you reset it: (This information was found online from another auto forum, much of this information I have read before)

Resetting your ECU. Your ECU is your cars brain. It tells your engine what to do and how to do it based on tons of readings it recieves along with how much throttle is being applied and so on.
After you perform any modification to your car. You should reset your ecu so it can clear its memory and re-learn and adapt to the new parts. Instead of having it try to optimize in with its old parts. Its best to reset and let it learn from the new setup....instead of trying to get it to forget the old.

It can be easily done by unplugging the negative battery cable connection. Try to leave it off as long as possible. Into the night and possibly next morning if you can.

Then you connect the cable back on. Then start the car outside , let it run till its full warm. Normally 5-10minutes during the summer. Some wait till they hear the fan kick on....but you really just need to see the temp gauge at its normal operation position. Do not touch the gas pedal. Then once warmed.

Shut off and use when you are ready.

Also some like to take the car out and run it hard around 3times. Basically 1st through 3rd like you are racing. Of course this sounds kinda weird , I dont know if to believe this. But it cant hurt and it sounds logical , so it doesnt get some weak run and try to learn from that , you immediatly feed it some hard runs to set it self to and you should be good.

You also have to reset it for every mod. I also do it for every season change. This also lets your car adjust to the environment , different humidites and oxygen levels and densities. All are different variables that can effect your cars performance. So to take full advantage , you again want your car to learn and base its settings off a smaller period of time. So resetting it in lets say winter, its like its whole life was driven in the winter , and so on and so forth. Instead of having it try to adapt from its summer time conditions over to the winter...its best to just start fresh.

-- NOTE , do not try resetting your ecu when you have any sort of fuel additives or things in your car that you wouldnt normally have. So fuel cleaners , higher octane fuel , different fuel than you normally run...dont try this then.

Last edited by Black Betty; 01-19-2016 at 07:32 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by DiamondGCoupe:
Black Betty (01-11-2014), dbeachy1 (07-23-2017), Dj1ofDet (01-04-2015), hexotic (10-25-2015), Nismo2k1 (11-01-2015), Presto (10-24-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can someone record themselves doing this? I tried this about 7 times today with no success. I wasn't able to get my "service engine soon" light to blink at all. I just want to see someone do this so I can see where I might be messing up. I also used a stopwatch so I don't think I am going over the time.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

I've been meaning to make a video, just haven't got around to it.. I will do my best to get this did very soon!!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:41 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
I've been meaning to make a video, just haven't got around to it.. I will do my best to get this did very soon!!
Cool...Thanks DiamondG
Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 AM
ucla bruin

Video please when you get a chance. I've just finished the break-in and am desperately wanting to reset the ECU!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, i will need this before school, all highway miles so i need good mileage.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM
ucla bruin

I FINALLY got it! This is how I did it:

Here is a quick way to reset your ECU. It is also known to clear codes thrown, and turn off the "Service Engine Soon" Light. It's a little tricky, but works.

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:
1. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

After the car is "on" (engine not started), I waited 2 seconds then floored it 5 times in 4 seconds. Everyelse was the same.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 04-29-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
dezicartel

Do you guys know what I would lose, other than radio presets, if I leave the battery disconnected?

Ive been trying this for a while, and I Think I am just going to disconnect the battery overnight...
Old 01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's all in the timing. It has to be exact. After the first time, it's easy.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:16 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by dezicartel
Do you guys know what I would lose, other than radio presets, if I leave the battery disconnected?

Ive been trying this for a while, and I Think I am just going to disconnect the battery overnight...
i think it will erase everything you have in the car computer. the battery disconnecting thing is probably the easier way but why give up? keep at it, and you will be able to reprogram your car whenever you want too.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

YOU DONT HAVE TO HOLD THE GAS PEDAL BEFOER YOU START THE CAR! I'll have the vid up within the next few days. Took me two tries today been a while since I've done this but its all in the timing..
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I tested this out on Tuesday and after about 4 tries I got it right (without any clock/stop watch) and it works perfectly.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I Tried also today... about 20 times.. then I looked at my watch and my 1 mississippi was way to fast...lol
Got it the 2nd time after getting my timing right, still didnt use a stopwatch... just used my watch to get my count perfect.

After its reset... How long do you need to drive it hard??
Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also...
Is this in the Manual? If not where did you find this out?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I FINALLY got it! This is how I did it:

Here is a quick way to reset your ECU. It is also known to clear codes thrown, and turn off the "Service Engine Soon" Light. It's a little tricky, but works.

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:
1. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

It still took me a few tries, but I found out that after the car is "on" (engine not started), I waited 2 seconds then floored it 5 times in 4 seconds. Everyelse was the same. Hope this will help whoever's having trouble with the reset. Feel free to ask for details.

I followed this timing EXACTLY using a watch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect