Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Paint Overspray

Old 01-27-2017, 10:31 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Paint Overspray

So I got a ridiculous deal on my G even having it shipped from TX to NC. But when I got it here (I knew it had a minor accident from Carfax) after I hand-washed it I realized it had paint over spray on the windows and body from the (obviously garbage) shop that completed the work. The car looks good overall and I was able to remove the over spray from the windows with Windex and a razor blade.

Am I going to have to wet sand, compound and buff the body to remove it? You can feel it when you rub the body. Any thoughts?
Old 01-27-2017, 10:52 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
So I got a ridiculous deal on my G even having it shipped from TX to NC. But when I got it here (I knew it had a minor accident from Carfax) after I hand-washed it I realized it had paint over spray on the windows and body from the (obviously garbage) shop that completed the work. The car looks good overall and I was able to remove the over spray from the windows with Windex and a razor blade.

Am I going to have to wet sand, compound and buff the body to remove it? You can feel it when you rub the body. Any thoughts?

You are going to want to start with the least aggressive method first to preserve your clearcoat. There are a ton of videos on YouTube covering this topic. Check out AMMONYC's channel, he has tons of great resources. ME, personally, I'd start off with a clay. Then, move onto using a DA polisher with a fine polish. Next, step up to a more aggressive polish/compound if the previous methods didn't work.

If you don't feel like getting your hands dirty, I would take the car to a reputable detailer and I am sure they could tackle it.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:01 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Can you include some pictures? This post is like saying that you found the hottest girl in the world but you can only describe what she looks like
Old 01-27-2017, 05:39 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I'll have to take a close up of the paint. You don't really notice it for the most part but it slightly dulls the paint in some areas. You can fell it more than see it

Last edited by r2dmax; 01-27-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Clay bar removes it

Search this Thread