Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Removing seat cover

Old 11-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Removing seat cover

The foam in my drivers seat is starting to collapse. I was wondering how to remove the seat bottom and cover so i can get to the foam and restore it.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:03 PM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a diy on here somewhere, on modifying the sport seat lower cushion frame to give it a little more spread. Followed it a year or so ago to modify the 11 sport CPE I had at the time. I also replaced a lower cushion on a GS 350 Lexus I had. Hardest part is reattaching the cover to the cushion with hog rings. Try u tube for a video on that.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
It's a non-sport seat
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 PM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reference was just for a guide. Removing seat from car and taking cover off is basically the same on most all bucket seats.
Remove the little plactic covers on the mounting rails that cover mounting bolts(4 of them) unplug the wiring. Get the seat out on a bench(much easier than working with it on the floor) there are plastic strip clips that keep the cover attached around the outer edges, roll them off. Then the hog ring that hold the cover down to the cushion in the middle area are the tricky part. There mostly not reusable, so clip them with side cutters, then the cover will come off. Steaming the cushion to renew it gets mixed reviews, consider a new one. For reinstalling the cover, Hobby lobby or a upholstery shop or supply will have the hog rings( some say use heavy duty zip ties instead) I didn't, also crimping the hog rings really takes hog ring pliers( Hobby lobby or the shop). Again the reattachment of the cover with the hog rings was the hardest part, upholsterers that do it every day, its easy for them. Roll the plastic clips back on and reinstall seat.
For a complete detail. Check out the FSM section: se : pages 166/175. That's a 13 coupe FSM. Nicoclub.com

Last edited by z 2 g; 11-28-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:50 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Auto upholstery shops charge like 150 to remove the cover put in new foam and put it back in for you

Search this Thread