Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Windo Tint Gap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Windo Tint Gap?

I just went by to pick up my '13 Coupe from a local tinter.
A friend w/a G35 Sedan has his done there.

On my car I noticed a very visible gap in the tint around the entire edge of the window. At least an eighth, maybe 3/16...tmaybe the longer I looked at it the bigger it got.

The thing is when I first bought the car last fall it had tint so laied up perfectly the dealer had to prove it was tint by removing it while I was there.

Why did I get it removed? Not legal in my state and I was being a chicken.

Anyway, now I'd really like to get it done right. The tinter says it's computer cut. I presume that is a plotter pre-programed with my window's dimensions.

I'm not feeling it It's been a long time since I've seen a car with a tint gap that wasn't a total hooptie-weekend-walmart job.

I asked him to redo it. I'm not getting the highest confidence he can do it better.

Am I missing something here?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
If the finish of the current tint is spot on (no bubbling/creases/etc), I'd let this one slide since he might do a slapdash job on the second go. Can you take a picture of the gap?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
While the window is closed there shouldn't be a visible void of tint at all. Most shops that lay and cut their tint by hand use a thin razor along the top of the window to cut it. It should literally be to the very edge of the window.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
You're guy probably has a tint cutting machine and they typical don't go as tight to the top of the window as a guy who cuts his own with a razor. The other problem was a lazy install.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:13 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
If he is in fact using a program with software linked up to a plotter he should be able to adjust the cut file. Maybe not, but possible....
Old 05-27-2016, 03:15 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
I don't trust machines... nothing better than the old school razor in your hand. As long as the installer has a steady hand and some experience doing it under his belt. Goodluck with the second go around man. Post up some pictures so we can see!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Is the gap visible when door is closed or open when open there is supposed to be a gap
Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Update:
I can't really take decent pictures of the edge of a translucent window with a phone. It'll alway focus elsewhere.

But after a long awkward moment of silent staring between the installer and I, he offered to redo it. I got it back the next day and it is up to the edge. I'm pleased with it mostly.
I noticed there are some scratches in the glass on the outside edge of the drivers side. They are small but I know they are there and weren't before.
The windows tend to streak on the outside when I lower and raise them. That may be a settling thing with the now slightly thicker window. Time will tell.
There is also the slightest edge of film that isn't visible but kinda snags my finger on the passenger top edge. Not to be OCD, but thinking it could lead to peeling later. I'll see about filing it ever so slightly so I don't worry when I lower the window.

Lastly, somebody folded the triangle weatherstripping no the mirror off and under the mount point. I was able to pull it up and back in place but there is just the slightest whistle at highway speed. I'm working that out a bit at a time. also part of the door weatherstripping got polled off a thru-clip, I fixed that too.

I always regret going the cheaper/easier route in the long run. Next time it won't be the corner shop, it'll be a car salon.
Actually, next time it'll be real tinted glass.

And yeah, I should have just sac'd up and kept that perfect tint the car came with in the first place.

All in all, a decent price an job. As a DYI'er I probably Hav higher than average expectations

Last edited by bikezilla; 05-30-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:22 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Oh damn I forgot this window tint thread was yours otherwise I would've checked it out when we met up yesterday afternoon lol ... Its just like you told me about all my tiny flaws they aren't noticable to the average eye just more for you since you know they're there. Regardless your car is absolutely gorgeous bro so chin up!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 PM
s13envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hard to complain about a 1/8" to 3/16" gap from the top of your window, but I see your concern. I've done quite a few cars and have always done them by hand and tried to lay them with as little gap as possible. I wouldn't consider myself a professional by any means. But typically you get what you pay for. I learned a method of "shaving" the tint to where you saw no gap whatsoever and it did indeed look like the whole glass was factory tinted. Very cool process, but you'll pay a premium for that.