Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How do you wash your G (prevent scratches)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
speedfreek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time you touch the car you are scratching it to some degree. Using whatever method you want it is going to happen. Things like the 2 bucket system with grit guards are used as preventative measures. But over time you will need to polish the vehicle to remove all the tiny scratches that occur when washing it.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by T_Buckets_223
I've been wondering about the Garry Dean Method now that winter ended here in Mass, it seems alot more time efficient and SAFER... how many microfibers do you personally tend to use doing this?? What is the least amount you think I can get away with??
Exactly, much faster and safer than traditional washing. I use 4-8 depending on how dirty the car is. My opinion, I wouldn't use less than 3 towels.
The following users liked this post:
T_Buckets_223 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM
T_Buckets_223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyD
Exactly, much faster and safer than traditional washing. I use 4-8 depending on how dirty the car is. My opinion, I wouldn't use less than 3 towels.
Oh nice 4-8 is pretty reasonable. I may have to try this out soon. Thanks my man
Old 04-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Awakence
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you care about your car for scartches always hand wash it yourself. I use a 3 bucket system (1 for the paint, 1 for rinsing the wash mitt for the paint, 1 for strictly the rims). All i need is a wash mitt(wool/microfiber) + another strictly for the rims, meguiars ultimate wash&wax, 3 buckets w/ gritt guards, spoke brush, microfiber drying towels. For me, i like to use a pressure washer, but if you do becareful not to put it on a fine focus and keep it a meter or two away from the paint when you rinse it.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:12 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I reference autogeek.com and watch ammo nyc on youtube for a lot of detailing information.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I go right through the carwash (with brushes) about every other time I fill up. It's a new, big car wash that seems to be gentle. I don't have the time in my life to devote to washing it all the time. Is there anybody else that does this?
Old 04-26-2015, 03:43 PM
JinV36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyD
I'm going to probably start doing this method. I'll probably buy 4-5 towels for the washing and around 2-4 more for drying. My question is this (sort of off topic but requires washing)

So I'm going to debadge my car and I'm going to wash my car using this method. But I noticed under my infiniti lettering, there is this white substance around every letter. I looked at photos when I got the car and weirdly , it seems like I can see a little in the pic. Now it could be wax that was left over and dried but I tried using water and a microfiber towel and lightly try and remove it, but it disappears than comes back.

Any idea of what it could be? Adhesive ? I doubt it. Not sticky. Probably dried wax.

When debadging, do I need to clay it after I use the goo gone (adhesive remover) before using the compound and wax? I don't have a clay right now but I ordered one but it might take a while to get. And also, I was trying to debadge it within a day or 2.

I have the Meguiars ultimate compound and gold wax paste. I just hope it isn't discolored too bad underneath
Old 04-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain
I go right through the carwash (with brushes) about every other time I fill up. It's a new, big car wash that seems to be gentle. I don't have the time in my life to devote to washing it all the time. Is there anybody else that does this?
You might as well scrub the paint with steel wool. Your car will look like absolute hell in no time at all.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 AM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by T_Buckets_223
Oh nice 4-8 is pretty reasonable. I may have to try this out soon. Thanks my man
No problem man!

Originally Posted by JinV36
I'm going to probably start doing this method. I'll probably buy 4-5 towels for the washing and around 2-4 more for drying. My question is this (sort of off topic but requires washing)

So I'm going to debadge my car and I'm going to wash my car using this method. But I noticed under my infiniti lettering, there is this white substance around every letter. I looked at photos when I got the car and weirdly , it seems like I can see a little in the pic. Now it could be wax that was left over and dried but I tried using water and a microfiber towel and lightly try and remove it, but it disappears than comes back.

Any idea of what it could be? Adhesive ? I doubt it. Not sticky. Probably dried wax.

When debadging, do I need to clay it after I use the goo gone (adhesive remover) before using the compound and wax? I don't have a clay right now but I ordered one but it might take a while to get. And also, I was trying to debadge it within a day or 2.

I have the Meguiars ultimate compound and gold wax paste. I just hope it isn't discolored too bad underneath
It is probably dried compound/polish/wax that got stuck in the corners of the letters. Sounds like whoever detailed the car before you just ran the polisher over the letters and didn't go back and clean it up. Yes I recommend claying it first, doesn't hurt and only takes a second for that area. I think with your plan of action the white substance will be easily removed once the letters are off and you have a clean flat surface to work with. I haven't debadged my G but seems others have done it without any bad discoloration.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:15 PM
JinV36

What do you guys do if you have this dirt / or idk wtf it is stuff on my car (very very littel. THe dot is the 1/10th the size of a penny but I have multiple of them.

Theyw ont come off from the car wash with a sponge. They wont come off by using my finger nail to scratch it off. I dont want to compound because I dont want it to stractch my paint. IDK WHAT TO DO haha
Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
What do you guys do if you have this dirt / or idk wtf it is stuff on my car (very very littel. THe dot is the 1/10th the size of a penny but I have multiple of them.

Theyw ont come off from the car wash with a sponge. They wont come off by using my finger nail to scratch it off. I dont want to compound because I dont want it to stractch my paint. IDK WHAT TO DO haha
Could be bird crap that etched the clear coat, a mild compound like Meguiars Ultimate compound followed by their ultimate polish then a wax won't leave any scratches, if done properly.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM
JinV36

Originally Posted by blnewt
Could be bird crap that etched the clear coat, a mild compound like Meguiars Ultimate compound followed by their ultimate polish then a wax won't leave any scratches, if done properly.
Most likely this. And do I need the polish? I'm going to be doim it all by hand. Compound and wax. Or is polish an essential step and I need it.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Most likely this. And do I need the polish? I'm going to be doim it all by hand. Compound and wax. Or is polish an essential step and I need it.
I'd get it, nice to have the slightly coarse compound followed by the finishing polish, your detailing arsenal won't be complete without it
You can always do the least obvious spot first w/ just the compound and see how you like it, but I'm guessing you'll be wanting one finer pass just to get that clean finish.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 PM
JinV36

Originally Posted by blnewt
I'd get it, nice to have the slightly coarse compound followed by the finishing polish, your detailing arsenal won't be complete without it
You can always do the least obvious spot first w/ just the compound and see how you like it, but I'm guessing you'll be wanting one finer pass just to get that clean finish.
Alright, Ill get the polish.

And for the debadging, I'm going to wash my car either by hand regularly or with the optimum no rinse solution if I get it by then. But when I debadge the back (Infiniti lettering only this time), will a compound than a wax do fine? Or do I need the polish in between.

And for the compound, do I use a foam (have only 1 that came with gold class wax / microfiber (I have) applicator or with a microfiber towel. And I'm assuming I need 3 different applicators, 1 for each. All done by hand.

And you mention in the above post, it can be done without scratching if done correctly. How do I do it correctly by hand if you could explain without scratching my car. I do not have clay right now.

What I have is
(-) Meguiar Gold Class Carnauba Paste Wax
(-) Meguiar Ultimate Compound
(-) Foam (1) / Microfiber (2) Applicator
(-) Microfiber towels (alot)

Will purchase maybe tomorrow
(-) Meguiar Ultimate Polish (Unless suggested otherwise?)
(-) I'll probably order clay online.. Unless it's really needed.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Ideally clay bar prior to compound but you'll be OK (as long as the surface is clean), just lightly apply the compound to a damp foam (wet w/ soft or purified water) and use a circular motion like you're applying wax. Just apply even, firm pressure but don't get too aggressive. Check your progress often before getting too far, and wipe w/ clean small microfiber towels. If you notice some small swirls/scratches then try a bit of wax in the same manner w/ a new foam or microfiber pad and see if the swirls are gone, if not, then you'll need to polish in between. It will take more work without a RO buffer but you'll get it

Quick Reply: How do you wash your G (prevent scratches)?