Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Compressor

Can anyone recommend a good quality air compressor that doesn't break the bank?
Perhaps you have one that you're happy with?
I've got little experience with compressors, but looking for something small to handle the light and simple jobs.
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by spect2k
I've got little experience with compressors, but looking for something small to handle the light and simple jobs.
Thanks.

I bought this one to do air nailing at my rental house, because I didnt want to haul my 25 gallon upright.
Let's just say I stopped using the big one at my house!!
This little thing works great for nailing, air tools, airing up pool toys!!

1.5 Horsepower, 6 Gallon, 150 PSI Professional Oilless Air Compressor

Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have one slightly larger and more powerful Central Pneumatic one from HF that is still cheap and small enough for home but not particularly portable in the G like the one Pat posted. I'm not sure if the little pancake one is much good for an impact gun. I've had it for a couple of years with no complaints at all. Mine is 4 HP, 10 gal tank but it's discontinued. It easily powers any air tool I have (including my air hog impact gun) band is great for general overall light to medium duty use.This would be the closest replacement to the one I have.

Electric Air Compressor - 2-1/2 HP, 10 Gallon, 125 PSI
Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
just go to harbor freight for most of ur cheap tool needs.

one thing about compressors that I learned was that they draw alot of current - no good for use with extension cords. This is true for compressors of similar size as the one black betty mentioned
Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only concern with HF is the quality of their products. If you guys use their compressors and they work well, problem solved. While it's not my main intention, would either of those 2 compressors be adequate to handle some impact wrench work? For example, removing rotor bolts.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have one slightly larger and more powerful Central Pneumatic one from HF that is still cheap and small enough for home but not particularly portable in the G like the one Pat posted. I'm not sure if the little pancake one is much good for an impact gun. I've had it for a couple of years with no complaints at all. Mine is 4 HP, 10 gal tank but it's discontinued. It easily powers any air tool I have (including my air hog impact gun) band is great for general overall light to medium duty use.This would be the closest replacement to the one I have.
Yes, it handles impact wrench work!! I need 125 PSI for my Snap-On 1/2" impact. I set this bad boy to 125, and go!! Impact need pressure, not volume.
On the other hand, you will drain the reserve drying a car completely, but thats what my leaf blower is for!!
Seriously my large compressor just sits in the corner!!

Harbor Freight tools are by no means professional grade. By that, I mean, if you are going to use them on a daily basis, they will fail quickly.
As a weekend warrior, they are worth the lower qualit, and cost.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Good to know about your pancake compressor. However some lesser quality impacts (ie Harbor Freight ones) need a higher SCFM to operate with any real power. Better ones are more efficient. I think mine needs like 4.5 or 5 SCFM to operate at peak torque. It'll take lugs off with low air volume but won't break tough suspension or exhaust bolts and nuts.

But for that price sine you have had good luck I'll probably get one just to have a portable option for group DIY days.

And yes, they do use a lot of amperage and can throw your breaker at times. If you need to use an extension cord, it needs to be heavy gauge (12 gauge or better) wire and relatively short (< 25').
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I have this one (got it for $99 back in the day) paired up with this impact and both work fairly well. I've done a variety of suspension work with it. It's constantly running, yes, but it's quite the workhorse.

The key to getting the most out of this was replacing the included 1/4" hose with a good 3/8" hose -- it almost like getting a more powerful compressor.

p.s. No trippage on anything, and i do use it with an extension cord at times.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty

Electric Air Compressor - 2-1/2 HP, 10 Gallon, 125 PSI
I have the 8 gallon one of this air compressor. I've only had it for a few months but it's good enough for light duty work. I have a 3/8" air ratchet that it has trouble powering it won't do any good for any bolts (even the smaller ones) that are stuck on really well. I ended up going with a little elbow grease and a breaker bar for some of the bigger bolts that my electric impact wrench couldn't take off. FWIW, if you are just a shade tree mechanic, this will get you by, but any medium to heavy duty work and you'll want something better.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I have the 8 gallon one of this air compressor. I've only had it for a few months but it's good enough for light duty work. I have a 3/8" air ratchet that it has trouble powering it won't do any good for any bolts (even the smaller ones) that are stuck on really well. I ended up going with a little elbow grease and a breaker bar for some of the bigger bolts that my electric impact wrench couldn't take off. FWIW, if you are just a shade tree mechanic, this will get you by, but any medium to heavy duty work and you'll want something better.
I guess I'd classify myself as an advanced shade tree mechanic. I work on my own car and lots of other peoples' cars as well. Part of your issue might be using the air ratchet instead of a pneumatic impact gun. An impact gun has more torque for breaking stuck or tight nuts and bolts. A good 3/8" air ratchet has no more than about 100 ft./lbs. or torque, more likely 50-70. Not much for breaking things loose. A so-so impact gun may have 3 to 5 times more torque. I have an older version of this one: 1/2" Professional Air Impact Wrench and it does a surprisingly good job. I've been extremely impressed with it for a cheap tool. Considering I got it for about $75 or so and it's lasted me a few years it was a good investment. If it fails I can afford to replace it every few years. And HF is very good about just giving you a new one with no questions asked anyway.

And like you said, a good strong breaker bar with some muscle behind it has no substitute.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:25 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
This came my way cheap.. Very cheap.

Craftsman - 16640 - 12 Gallon Portable Vertical Air Compressor with Hose and Accessory Kit | Sears Outlet

Main needs include topping off tires, removing wheels, using an airlift suction device for cooling system refill, and other minor home garage tasks.

This is the toolkit I'm considering.

Campbell Hausfeld TL1069 62-Piece Pneumatic Tool Kit - Power Tool Combo Packs - Amazon.com Campbell Hausfeld TL1069 62-Piece Pneumatic Tool Kit - Power Tool Combo Packs - Amazon.com

I realize none of these are professional grade, but what about for occasional use?

Airlift tool:
Amazon.com: UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit: Automotive
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Get the one from Lowes with black colored tank -forgot the name. Get at least 10 + gallons tank. That pancake will run out of air quickly.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by spect2k
Thanks.
if youre going to use a lot of air tools pretty often go big or go home

do not get a small harbor freight compressor you will regret it big time
Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Awgd8
Get the one from Lowes with black colored tank -forgot the name. Get at least 10 + gallons tank. That pancake will run out of air quickly.
Where do you see a pancake style compressor in my post?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Awgd8

The ones from Lowes are the same as HF, just different names.

I need parts (switch, pressure switch) etcfor my HF compressor, I look up Husky, a there it is!!

Quick Reply: Air Compressor