Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Removing Infiniti Pinstripe Decals

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
adw234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Infiniti Pinstripe Decals

My 2010 G37 Convertible has the dealer installed pinstripe decals on it. I've had the car for about 15 months, and I assume it sat on the lot for a few more. The car is parked outside all day long (Florida), monday-friday, while I am at work.

I've read about the 3M tool to take the pinstripes off, along with the heated blow dryer method.

I am concerned that there will be shadows or some other noticable mark once I take the pinstripes off. I've read that it will just require a wax/polish to make everything look normal. The car is my daily driver and I typically take it for a hand wash about 3 times a month. It's had a basic wax twice.

Has anyone had any experience with taking pinstripes off after 1-2 years of keeping them on?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
On other cars I have.

As u said, hair dryer and a good wax/polish should do the trick. I wouldn't worry too much.

Just take ur time.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Hair dryer should help with the removal. If there is any residue left behind you can remove it with a clay bar or an adhesive remover like the Stoner Tarminator. After that there may be a little bit of a "ghosting" effect but you can remove that pretty easily with a good polish. A cleaner wax product may not be enough to fully remove it so I'd suggest a nice light polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205. On an older vehicle with more UV exposure a more aggressive polish like the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 may be needed and possibly a buffer, however you should be fine by hand. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
D_Nyholm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they painted on or stickers? A lot are paint. If they are paint, i would suggest you would have to either sand them off and then polish on top of them, or there might be a solvent that will take them off that I don't know of.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
adw234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update - just took the pinstripe decals off the car. Using a hair dryer saves a lot of time in both taking off the pinstripes and cleaning up the residual glue (since less glue was left on car). Used Tarminator spray to get rid of excess glue and immediately took the car for a wash, after which about 95% of the excess glue was finally off the car. Removed last of the glue spot by spot and rinsed off car again. Used meguiars m105 compound followed by the m205 polish. Car looks great now. I'll have to see if there is any ghosting left once I can get the car out in direct sunlight (it's raining today in Miami...)

Thanks for everyone's help!