Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Would you buy this car? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 AM
dmill86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you buy this car? Need advice

Hey guys. I need your opinions on whether I should buy this car or not.
(*PICS POSTED BELOW*)

Its a 2011 G37xs coupe. The person selling is the second owner of the car. Reason for selling is because he has a second vehicle for his daily commute and needs a down payment for a house. The car has an insurance claim of $2,600 for a minor front end collision which required the front bumper to be changed. It has 108,000km on the odometer. Tires were changed at 98,000km. Full synthetic oil changes always done on time. Car has always been stored in an underground parking facility and has never seen snow. No modifications done to the car other than K&N air filter and a painted grill. Asking price is $18,499 (CAD) with safety and e-test included. I talked him down to $16,000 cash, provided I do the safety and e-test. The car is a 4 hour drive from where I live. (G37 coupes are rarely ever sold in my area) What do you guys think? Is it worth taking a look?

Thanks

Last edited by dmill86; 03-11-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Pending the inspection working out that sounds like a decent plan to me.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 AM
dmill86

Thanks Epiphany. Now I'm just trying to decide what I should have the seller write as the sale price on the bill of sale. Looking to save a little tax on the purchase but I don't want to mark too low of a price and raise any red flags. Otherwise it will raise suspicion at the license bureau and they will just end up searching the black book value of the vehicle. I won't be saving much of anything at that point. So what do you think would be a reasonably low sale price that won't raise suspicion? 10k sound fair?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dmill86
Thanks Epiphany. Now I'm just trying to decide what I should have the seller write as the sale price on the bill of sale. Looking to save a little tax on the purchase but I don't want to mark too low of a price and raise any red flags. Otherwise it will raise suspicion at the license bureau and they will just end up searching the black book value of the vehicle. I won't be saving much of anything at that point. So what do you think would be a reasonably low sale price that won't raise suspicion? 10k sound fair?
I don't know how vigilent Canadian agencies are but I saved about 50% on taxes in the states. If anyone asks, the engine and transmission need to be replaced (make sure the seller knows this too).
Old 03-11-2017, 08:10 AM
dmill86

Originally Posted by kickintheglass
I don't know how vigilent Canadian agencies are but I saved about 50% on taxes in the states. If anyone asks, the engine and transmission need to be replaced (make sure the seller knows this too).
Normally the way it works here in Canada is that the buyer pays tax on the higher price listed between the bill of sale and the estimated black book value of that specific vehicle. So If the bill of sale says I paid 12k but the estimated value of that vehicle is 18k I would pay tax on the 18k. (of course) Luckily for me there is no estimated value registered for that specific vehicle in which case I would automatically pay tax on the price listed on the bill of sale. Which is what I was hoping for.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:33 AM
mydailyg37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find a mechanic in his area, book an inspection with them. My buddy had a Nissan dealership look over the 370z he was purchasing. Cost him $150 or something like that. If you can make a deal for 16k, you're winning.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:47 AM
dmill86

Originally Posted by mydailyg37
Find a mechanic in his area, book an inspection with them. My buddy had a Nissan dealership look over the 370z he was purchasing. Cost him $150 or something like that. If you can make a deal for 16k, you're winning.
Yup I already called to inquire. There is an Infiniti dealer about 2km from his house that offers a 55 point inspection for $159.95+tax. And the inspection is done by mechanics that have been working at this dealership for over 30 years. so that's a nice added bonus. So all in all taxes in with new plates and everything I'm looking at a grand total of $17,600. I think that's pretty reasonable. I'll post some pictures of the car so you can judge for yourself.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:32 PM
dmill86

Old 03-12-2017, 06:46 PM
dmill86

So If the pre purchase inspection goes well, I think I will be purchasing this car. What preventative maintenance should I do first after purchasing? The car is at 108,000km and seems to have been well taken care of. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:50 PM
mydailyg37

It looks great. Scarborough I see. When I get the car back on the road, first thing is an oil change. Followed by transfer case fluid and differential fluid. I'm also going to order some performance brake fluid and stainless brake lines.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:35 PM
dmill86

It looks great. Scarborough I see. When I get the car back on the road, first thing is an oil change. Followed by transfer case fluid and differential fluid. I'm also going to order some performance brake fluid and stainless brake lines.
I guess I'll know more of what should be done to the car after the pre purchase inspection is done at the dealership. when it comes to these vehicles, can most preventative maintenance be done by most any mechanic? I'm just scared to bring it to the "stealership" to have anything done. I don't really have the knowledge or means to do any type of work on the car. I'd rather have my mechanic do the work. Just want it done right. Can any certified mechanic work on these cars? or does it have to be an infiniti/Nissan qualified mechanic? perhaps I can take on most of the preventative maintenance tasks myself? any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 PM
mydailyg37

Any decent mechanic can work on it. However the parts / fluids used should be Nissan products. General rule of thumb with any car really.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
AspecUA6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She looks clean.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM
dmill86

Any decent mechanic can work on it. However the parts / fluids used should be Nissan products. General rule of thumb with any car really.
Originally Posted by AspecUA6
She looks clean.
Thanks guys. If the inspection goes well I think I will be purchasing this car. what would you guys suggest I do first to the car as far as preventative maintenance. keep in mind I'm paying cash for this car so I won't have too much money left over until I'm back to work in April but I've left a little wiggle room in my budget for minor maintenance if need be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks