Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Oil/Filter/Miles and the warranty on a 2013 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Luvmy2011g
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil/Filter/Miles and the warranty on a 2013 sedan

Looking at a 2013 G37 sedan with 29,600 miles, 1 owner and price is $18,000.00. What’s great is that it’s still under original warranty for 8 mos/30,000 miles (basic). My concern is that it only had oil and filter changes at 10,000 miles, 22,000 miles and 29,300 miles and at a Valvoline Instant shop. Not that there is anything wrong with those shops, but I’m questioning if the warranty will still be honored because I doubt they used Nissan oil and filter. The first and last oil used was conventional oil and the 2nd change they used MaxLife Synthetic oil. Is this ok? Or am I looking at an issue with potential problems with the warranty and/or engine? I must say that I could be obsessing on too many little details, but I just returned a 2011 G37 to a dealer for a refund cuz they didn’t tell me about some huge engine problems that I found out about and I’m not fully trusting a dealer. Any advice/opinions are appreciated.
Thank you! OMG! Now that’s a funny emoticon!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
That's a long time in between oil changes. I wonder if your only seeing the ones that were actually recorded. That's a too nice of car to neglect!!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Where you get the oil change done/the materials used aren't important, it's that they're done. Unfortunately that looks like an easy out for Infiniti in regards to warranty to me.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:40 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Defintely not out of warranty as long as there receipts. I never once got serviced at a infiniti dealership and I have gotten my engine replaced on my G37 from infiniti dealer and not once they asked me for receipts or evidence of maintenance . I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:55 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Agree - while Infiniti wouldn't warranty anything related to sludge or oil starvation, you should be fine. The engines seem to be very reliable and the rest of the comprehensive warranty is still in place.

-Eric
Old 11-08-2017, 05:26 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Did they use synthetic?
Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Lessees suck at maintenance and It's probably fair to assume the guy only changed the oil 3 times in 30k. That's not as bad as it sounds with modern oils (though admittedly isn't great), but your continued diligent maintenance should be all that is necessary for the car to keep running for a long time.

Anyway, Infiniti is never going to ask you for maintenance records unless they open up the engine for warranty work and find evidence of neglect such as sludge. Remember, when it comes to denying warranty claims, it's up to the dealer to show evidence of neglect directly leading to the failure, it's not up to you to show evidence of proper maintenance except to counter such a claim.

Now, in the thread where you had the problem with the 2011 and were able to return it, I suggested that you get a pre-purchase inspection before buying another. Did you do that or not? If you decided to skip this advice and are still in the return window, I want you to immediately go to the local infiniti dealership, tell them you just purchased this car and that you want them to go over it with a fine-toothed comb for any issues before the return window expires. You can mention to them that you are slightly concerned about the maintenance history, but are also aware that not every quick-lube reports oil changes to carfax. You want documentation of everything they looked at to establish a baseline for the health of the vehicle.

Doing this exact thing saved my ***, despite the fact that the dealership I asked to do this didn't actually look at anything they claimed they did. When my rear timing cover gasket failed around 60k and they opened it up to do warranty work, they found sludge had caused the gasket to blow out, but the dealership honored the warranty anyway after i brought up the fact that they told me it was in tip-top shape when I purchased it at 35k and i had maintenance records for everything since then. So they're either telling me that 4000 mile changes with Mobil 1 over 25K miles caused all that sludge or they didn't actually look at anything when i brought the car in for the purchase inspection. The logic was unassailable, so everything was replaced under warranty. Whether Infiniti approved this or the dealership simply lied to Infiniti to get reimbursed for the work i'm not sure, but that's not my problem.

Last edited by Victory; 11-12-2017 at 04:17 PM.