Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Looking to purchase G37 coupe automatic or manual is the question...

Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Looking to purchase G37 coupe automatic or manual is the question...

Hey guys! First post here but I've been on the G forums for quite a few months because I've been interested in purchasing a used G37 for quite some time. Saved enough for a decent down payment and ready to purchase within the next few weeks. I was probably looking to spend around up to $17k. On to my concerns now...

The issue I'm having while browsing online for a G37 coupe that will fit my budget and for what I'm looking for is that there are not many manuals to choose from. I'm located in Florida and I am pretty set on getting one with a manual but there are so many more choices and options that are automatics. Would I really regret it if I opted for an automatic instead? There are just so many other color choices, lower mileage, even newer then 08's and 09's that are in my price range.

I'm coming from a manual Altima that I've had for almost 12 years and don't regret it at all being a manual. Just preferred a manual since well, ever since I could drive really lol. I also heard about the master/slave cylinder issues with the manuals in the G's as well and that kinda has me worried a little bit but I do have a really good friend that's a good mechanic. I guess what I'm trying to ask is would I regret buying an automatic when I would prefer a manual just because there are way more options out there for G37's? Anyone maybe run into the same predicament as me and just went with an automatic? Oh man I'm really tryin to convince myself an automatic would be okay but the driver in me is sayin really? lol thanks in advance for the help guys, the forum is awesome and can't wait to finally purchase my G37 soon!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:24 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
6MT
/thread
The following users liked this post:
jcbone (12-21-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 AM
TwistedIllusion
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I've had a standard in almost everything I've owned, and I've owned a lot. I had a standard sti and traded in on a auto g35. After about 6 months I was ready for a standard. Just traded the g35 in on a g37s. Haven't looked back. Paddle shifters might help, but nothing beats slamming through gears. Lol
Old 11-06-2016, 01:41 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
6MT
/thread
haha yea the more I think about it 6MT is the only way to go. I'm going to try and be a little more patient to find the right one, thanks!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:44 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TwistedIllusion
I've had a standard in almost everything I've owned, and I've owned a lot. I had a standard sti and traded in on a auto g35. After about 6 months I was ready for a standard. Just traded the g35 in on a g37s. Haven't looked back. Paddle shifters might help, but nothing beats slamming through gears. Lol
I hear ya! Thanks for the reply. I guess I was just trying to convince myself it'd be okay but the more I think about it, I know I would regret it. Yup, nothing beats slamming through the gears is right haha.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:45 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i got a 09 g37s coupe with the 7AT and used it for 4 years. Then moved onto a 2013 6mt g37s coupe. I couldn't be happier.
The 6MT is definitely more fun to drive and can take a beating around the track unlike the 7AT which would go into limp mode after a few hot laps and refuse to downshift when you want.

Only thing with the manual is the clutch slave cylinder, which will fail eventually so budget a few hours labor to replace it as the transmission needs to be dropped.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:49 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Presto
i got a 09 g37s coupe with the 7AT and used it for 4 years. Then moved onto a 2013 6mt g37s coupe. I couldn't be happier.
The 6MT is definitely more fun to drive and can take a beating around the track unlike the 7AT which would go into limp mode after a few hot laps and refuse to downshift when you want.

Only thing with the manual is the clutch slave cylinder, which will fail eventually so budget a few hours labor to replace it as the transmission needs to be dropped.
Thank you for your insight and experience with both cars, appreciate it.
I know I will be happy with the manual as well, can't wait to get my G37!
Old 11-14-2016, 01:46 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Mods can close thread! I was patient and found a 2008 G37 coupe with 6MT and only 39k miles! Got to have the 6MT, what a blast to drive. Thanks guys lovin the G!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
congrats, have fun with it. Just keep in mind a new clutch slave cylinder and new clutch master cylinder replacement eventually.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 PM
TwistedIllusion
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Excellent choice. You won't be sorry. Post in the newbie section some pics. Would love to see it.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:46 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Presto
congrats, have fun with it. Just keep in mind a new clutch slave cylinder and new clutch master cylinder replacement eventually.
Thank you! I've wanted a G since the 35's came out and a friend had one. Definitely loving every minute of it! Yea I've read about those problems on a manual but I do have a good friend that's a mechanic that would help me out with the install once those goes out, hopefully way later down the road. What's the estimated cost on those parts alone?
Old 11-21-2016, 01:48 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TwistedIllusion
Excellent choice. You won't be sorry. Post in the newbie section some pics. Would love to see it.
Yup, glad I was patient and found the one I really wanted. It is loaded with almost every option as well with low miles, practically almost brand new with only 39k miles! I will post some pics after I get it detailed for sure. Just got it tinted a few days ago and it really sets it off being a black car.

Search this Thread