Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Cars with previous accident reported

Old 10-06-2016, 12:30 AM
Miskonduct

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cars with previous accident reported

Hey all,

I wanted to get people's opinions on G's that have a clean title but have been in an accident before. I'm coming across some G's that seem like great deals but am realizing they have had a prior accident listed in their history. However, they are usually minor and typically rear end collisions where the air bags didn't deploy. Are these kind of cars worth it or should I stay clear?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
If you intend on keeping the car forever and your mechanic gives you the OK, go for the deal. But you'll find difficulty with resale since everyone has the same question on their minds - "is this thing worth a penny after I buy it?" FWIW, you can use the accident as a bargaining chip to lower the price even more.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Assuming you haven't purchased yet (I could be late) steer clear of cars with accidents reported. I recently picked up my G and traded in a Mitsubishi Lancer that was involved in a minor accident, similar to the ones you are looking at. In my experience, you are going to get low-balled at least $700 on trade in - maybe more. My Lancer was projected to re-sell for $8,000. The best offer I got was 7,600 and I got extremely lucky getting that. I think the owner of the dealership felt sorry for me lol. Also, cars that have been in accidents typically have lingering issues. All the rotors on the lancer needed to be replaced along with brake pads; and there was a droning noise coming from the wheel well that I wasn't even going to attempt to diagnose. The car's alignment deteriorated as I drove it too. The place I picked it up from got it to run right just long enough to sell it. Basically, from my experience, people begin to care less about a car that has been in an accident. I had a Mazda that got into a fight with a woodland creature that resulted in over 6K worth of damage and that was at 40K miles give or take. I was able to make that car last until 125k before the engine block cracked but I was meticulous about maintenance. Your risk, and it could be a great reward, but in my experience I'll never buy a wrecked vehicle again.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Almost every car I've owned has had an accident history, anywhere from under $1000 to $7500. You'd never know it looking at them or driving the cars though. If it wasn't a crazy bad accident and it was repaired right I'd have no hesitations. Unfortunately it can be hard to tell how well it was repaired.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:21 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I bought my G with 5200 miles on it. It was only dealer titled, but it had a front driver's side collision on the books...no frame damage or airbag deployment. I got a ridiculously low price on it. I never trade cars in, I either give them to someone else or they go to the dismantler.

I knew that I eventually wanted to have it taken apart and corrected completely. I just completed that process. Panels-off respray, three-step paint correction and C.Quartz coating with the Essence step. It looks incredible, IMO. What I paid for all that treatment was very close to how much I saved on the purchase... And it's better than it ever was from the factory, again this is IMO.

Bottom line for me: Daily drivers are NOT an investment. They are an expensive consumable and should be treated of as such. Make yourself happy with it, because you won't become rich owning it...

Sean
Old 02-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't buy one with accidemt report if you are planning not to keep the car.
Dealer will lowball you minimum of $1,000. Also, do not relay on Carfax. It is not reliable.
I think carcheck is what I used last time. I paid $29 for a month access while looking for a car. So that was unlimited VIN check use for a month. There is a $19 cheaper one, but only one time VIN# check.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:53 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Almost every car I've owned has had an accident history, anywhere from under $1000 to $7500. You'd never know it looking at them or driving the cars though. If it wasn't a crazy bad accident and it was repaired right I'd have no hesitations. Unfortunately it can be hard to tell how well it was repaired.
I agree with this. My G had a minor sideswipe accident prior to my ownership. I got a ridiculously good deal on it and you can't tell it's been in a collision of any sort. If you can see or feel any effects I would pass, especially if it was a major repair. But if not, research it as much as possible before purchase
Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 PM
someone else

Originally Posted by VIVID
I bought my G with 5200 miles on it. It was only dealer titled, but it had a front driver's side collision on the books...no frame damage or airbag deployment. I got a ridiculously low price on it. I never trade cars in, I either give them to someone else or they go to the dismantler.

I knew that I eventually wanted to have it taken apart and corrected completely. I just completed that process. Panels-off respray, three-step paint correction and C.Quartz coating with the Essence step. It looks incredible, IMO. What I paid for all that treatment was very close to how much I saved on the purchase... And it's better than it ever was from the factory, again this is IMO.

Bottom line for me: Daily drivers are NOT an investment. They are an expensive consumable and should be treated of as such. Make yourself happy with it, because you won't become rich owning it...

Sean
Hi there,

Thoughts on this..

Canadian car, 65,000km, was hit from the rear center at 5,000km, car was on lease, repaired for 11k. Car ended up in auction as frame and structural damage (from the accident at 5,000km but was repaired) now new owner selling at 65,000km. Price is $12,500.

Apparently he says dealer will give him 12 so he won't take less than that.

If I get the car inspected by Infiniti and they give it a clean bill of health is it worth to buy???
Old 03-31-2017, 10:11 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by someone else
Hi there,

Thoughts on this..

Canadian car, 65,000km, was hit from the rear center at 5,000km, car was on lease, repaired for 11k. Car ended up in auction as frame and structural damage (from the accident at 5,000km but was repaired) now new owner selling at 65,000km. Price is $12,500.

Apparently he says dealer will give him 12 so he won't take less than that.

If I get the car inspected by Infiniti and they give it a clean bill of health is it worth to buy???
You keep asking the same question in different ways. The answer remains the same: No.
The following users liked this post:
someone else (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 PM
someone else

Originally Posted by Selym
You keep asking the same question in different ways. The answer remains the same: No.
Haha.

Such low miles, such a good price...
Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 PM
miaku1840ss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If able check to see if collision center was a high caliber and what parts/replacement pieces were used and if estimate info is still avail