Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Considering a 2010 G37X

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:43 PM
gselcuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a 2010 G37X

Hello all,

I am considering to purchase my first Infiniti. This one I have in mind is a 2010 G37x with 66K miles. As I am not familiar with this brand and it's reliability, do you believe it's a good purchase without an extended service plan?

The online reviews are all indicating that these cars are reliable and will last for many miles, but wanted to get owners' opinions. I have had a case where the transmission started having issues on a used Sonata after the 62K miles mark.

Thank you,
Gokalp
Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
I have a X, love it HOWEVER the transmission is the worst part about the car. If you don't mind me asking, how much is it listed for?

Opt for a 6 speed manual and thank me later. If I could go back and do it all over again I wouldn't even consider the X. I'd go straight for a 2011 and up (I like the facelift more than 2010 and below) 6 speed manual.

But it has been very reliable so far just very rough down shifts where it sounds like somebody hit the underside of car with hammer or something. That's my only complaint. I do like having the awd feature because I don't ever lose traction or squeal tires, even in rain under full throttle.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
I own a 2010 x coupe and I believe the car is great and also has been super reliable. The shifting could be a bit smoother but it's not something I really notice.

There's things that come into play when purchasing a vehicle other than just reliability options on the forum. Check out the carfax and see how many owners it's had, if they've kept up with regular maintenance, has it been into an accident.

Also I would really compare the Infiniti sedan to the Sonata ( not that there's anything wrong with Hyundai at all ) but my personal opinion it's like comparing a Lexus sedan to a Honda sedan.

Do a bit more research and give us some more information on the car. Also keep searching and don't rush into a purchase.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 AM
gselcuk

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
I have a X, love it HOWEVER the transmission is the worst part about the car. If you don't mind me asking, how much is it listed for?

Opt for a 6 speed manual and thank me later. If I could go back and do it all over again I wouldn't even consider the X. I'd go straight for a 2011 and up (I like the facelift more than 2010 and below) 6 speed manual.

But it has been very reliable so far just very rough down shifts where it sounds like somebody hit the underside of car with hammer or something. That's my only complaint. I do like having the awd feature because I don't ever lose traction or squeal tires, even in rain under full throttle.
Thank you Lorentzoe for your valuable input. The car is listed for $15,900 with 66,000 miles. I have had some transmission problems in my previous cars and I was hoping it won't be an issue this time. What I realize lately is automatic transmissions are more likely to break due to their complex mechanism, than a manual. When you mentioned those transmission issues to the service did they do something about it, or said that's the expected behavior? And since this car will not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty I am thinking a similar repair will cost thousands of dollars.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 AM
gselcuk

Originally Posted by kennyz424
I own a 2010 x coupe and I believe the car is great and also has been super reliable. The shifting could be a bit smoother but it's not something I really notice.

There's things that come into play when purchasing a vehicle other than just reliability options on the forum. Check out the carfax and see how many owners it's had, if they've kept up with regular maintenance, has it been into an accident.

Also I would really compare the Infiniti sedan to the Sonata ( not that there's anything wrong with Hyundai at all ) but my personal opinion it's like comparing a Lexus sedan to a Honda sedan.

Do a bit more research and give us some more information on the car. Also keep searching and don't rush into a purchase.
Thank you KennyZ. According to the CarFax, this car is a one owner car and meticulously maintained. I see all the suggested maintenance as well as oil changes every 7,500 miles. There are no accidents in the history. I do agree with the comparison of two vehicles, after I test drove a G37 i noticed how different it is from a Hyundai.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The transmissions aren't problematic as far as reliability/durability so that shouldn't be a concern. The operation of the 7AT can be indecisive at times, have some lag when you really get on the gas, and a bit clunky when in a coasting downshift scenario.

The 7AT is something you can get used to, just a bit unrefined compared to some of the newer DCT transmissions, and since it's more complex than previous Infiniti transmissions it tends to overthink the job at hand.

If you don't absolutely need AWD and would prefer a MT then by all means I'd take Lorentzoes advice and look for a RWD w/ 6MT. All 6MTs have the sport pkg which includes nice upgrades like big brakes, LSD rear end, thigh bolstered seats, etc.

There's also timing gasket issues on pre 2012 Gs that can be costly to replace, so if you could up your budget to include 2012 models that would be a good plan.
The following users liked this post:
kennyz424 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 07:37 PM
gselcuk

Originally Posted by blnewt
The transmissions aren't problematic as far as reliability/durability so that shouldn't be a concern. The operation of the 7AT can be indecisive at times, have some lag when you really get on the gas, and a bit clunky when in a coasting downshift scenario.

The 7AT is something you can get used to, just a bit unrefined compared to some of the newer DCT transmissions, and since it's more complex than previous Infiniti transmissions it tends to overthink the job at hand.

If you don't absolutely need AWD and would prefer a MT then by all means I'd take Lorentzoes advice and look for a RWD w/ 6MT. All 6MTs have the sport pkg which includes nice upgrades like big brakes, LSD rear end, thigh bolstered seats, etc.

There's also timing gasket issues on pre 2012 Gs that can be costly to replace, so if you could up your budget to include 2012 models that would be a good plan.
Thank you blnewt.
Did they make significant changes at the 2012 model year? Also do you think an extended warranty would cover repairs like those?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by gselcuk
Thank you blnewt.
Did they make significant changes at the 2012 model year? Also do you think an extended warranty would cover repairs like those?
Well the rear timing gasket was just paper, after 2011 it was then metal reinforced, other than that no significant changes.
If the extended warranty is through Infiniti it should cover that issue.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Thank you Lorentzoe for your valuable input. The car is listed for $15,900 with 66,000 miles. I have had some transmission problems in my previous cars and I was hoping it won't be an issue this time. What I realize lately is automatic transmissions are more likely to break due to their complex mechanism, than a manual. When you mentioned those transmission issues to the service did they do something about it, or said that's the expected behavior? And since this car will not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty I am thinking a similar repair will cost thousands of dollars.
The only thing they can do is update trans with software. I have not done this yet because it will wipe out my tune and take back to stock. My only problem with the 7at is the clinking. Other than that it's great on the upshift. If I'm in manual mode and come to a slow stop, you can hear it drop down to first.

I am going to try and change fluid (I don't even have 40k on it yet but it the only fluid in the car that hasn't been changed.)

It's very normal for 7at to have harsh shifts and lag between shifts. The lag I can deal with but something has to happen with the shifts.

And yes with the extended warranty I'm not sure if it's worth it but just one month after my warranty ran out (2011 g) my key fob doesn't work but 20% of the time and now when I unlock the doors or turn the car off and the car automatically unlocks the doors it makes a weird noise on passenger side locks. This is the FIRST Actual problem that I know of on my g. (Off topic lol)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
I love my 2010 G37x coupe! It has held up very well and I beat on it!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 PM
gselcuk

The 2010 I was considering was sold last night, now moving on to the next one, about same mileage, but 2012. This one is an Infiniti CPO vehicle. As expected price is higher around 19,5. Is that a safer choice?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The 2010 I was considering was sold last night, now moving on to the next one, about same mileage, but 2012. This one is an Infiniti CPO vehicle. As expected price is higher around 19,5. Is that a safer choice?
Yes, IMO that would be better, if for no other reason than the timing gasket.
G/L w/ your transaction, and hopefully you can be an official G owner soon.

Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
gselcuk (06-07-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
2012 for sure! Like Brad stated no timing gasket issues and that reason alone is wroth the money as well as the fact it comes with a nicer body as well I believe. Best of luck man and keep us updated! Hope to see you riding in a G soon!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 PM
drkglass01

It is funny that you mention a "Hyundai Sonata". I had a Sonata that I bought in 2001. I had no major issues with it, and gave it to my daughter with about 140 K miles on it. I was looking at some new cars, but decided I might want to try a used "luxury car" for about the same price.
Enter my 2012 G37X sedan ! I have been very happy with the car so far. When I first got the car it felt like I was dating a super model ! ha ha.