Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Can't see forest for the trees

Old 08-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Pixel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

New member here. I could use some advice. As an introduction, I'm 61 yo in central Florida and currently drive an '06 Miata that I've had since almost new. I love this car. But retirement is just a few months away for me. I'm getting prepared for that, and I think I'd like to move into a car that has a bit more luxury, will last a long time (I baby 'em and keep 'em) but still has some performance and doesn't scream "Old Man" (hey I can dream).

Honestly after researching the market, there are few cars that really float my boat. The G37 is at the top of the list by a long shot.
(followed by such things as Genesis Coupes, Mustangs, Challengers, Acura TL's and Camaros in no particular order)

For my budget (mid 20's) looks like I can get a few nice G's locally. Here's where I need your help.

Leading contenders are both 2013 g37's. One is a Premium Coupe (26k miles) the other a Sedan with Sport package 33k miles. Prices hang around 25k or so for either, which seems typical around here.

The Coupe seems trimmer, especially coming from a Miata. I like the lean lines. The sedan is practical and I like the things that come with the sport package (better brakes, some body trim, nicer seats, paddle shifters and (I'm not sure about VLSD). Practicality in not mission critical. Wife's RAV is practical enough. Higher miles Sport vs moderate miles coupe.

I've gotten to the point of paralysis by analysis. . Goal is to step up from Miata to a car that will last 10 years or so (again I keep 'em) and keep a smile on my face like the MX-5 has.

PS no Infiniti dealer in our town if that's a big factor. Nissan yes though.

Any advice? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:51 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Test drive both. I love the features that the S provides. Seats are different also plus staggered wheels. You didn't mention if either has Nav. That would be a factor if I were choosing.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Pixel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, both have Nav. I too like the sport seats, though I'm comfortable in either. I've driven them both. Coupe's tranny seems to hunt more, but not really a problem. Sedan just feels...big..coming from an MX-5. I suppose it comes down to value and sportiness. Hard to assess with just test drives.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts

I've had both, just sold my coupe and bought my sedan due to having a baby on the way, I liked the coupe better, the looks were nicer but both can have nice looks out done right, the S is a such a plus with all the extra features, are they auto or manual? The 6 speed is really fun and I miss it! Now I have a 7speed definitely more comfortable to drive in but not as fun! Good luck and if you decide to get a G your going the right direction because they are great cars and really reliable
Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
go find a coupe sport.. considering you are coming from a miata
Old 08-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Takran
Some Guy

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If you don't care about practicality, the coupe would be a no-brainer (I drive a sedan precisely because it's practical), except that the coupe isn't a sport and the sedan is. That's tough. Maybe take the above suggestion and find a sport coupe? Helpful, I know...

edit: FWIW, I upgraded my brakes from the standard ho-hum brakes to the Akebono brakes that come on the sport models - I'd say it's worth every penny paid.

Last edited by Takran; 08-27-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:27 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Sport package is so worth it. Bigger and better brakes, VLSD, seats that won't let you slide around, better sway bars, steering is better, visual differences. Transmission that hunts around is likely because it is missing dealer installed update, I'm a big fan of 6MT but if you only have 2 infiniti cars in your area, finding 6MT might be tough. Performance wise they are nearly identical, in fact sedan might actually be a tad faster but coupe just looks better IMHO. My advise is to find a coupe with sports package.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
coming from a sedan guy I would get the couple. Honestly the sport package on the sedan isn't something to bat an eye at.

but like what others said if you can find a coupe with a sports package I d go with that
Old 08-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,564 Likes on 3,422 Posts
The steering ratio on the RWD sport package is tighter than otherwise. It's very noticeable, and if you've driven both, you are probably aware of it.

The OEM shocks on the RWD sport package are tuned for a slightly stiffer, more sporty ride. That also should be immediately obvious.

The brakes should feel the same on your test drive, although the BBK is pretty impressive looking.

The VLSD on the RWD Sport is something that probably wasn't obvious on the test drive, but it's there.

Assuming OEM tires, the RWD Sport has summer-only rubber. Also something that should be obvious on a test-drive.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Judging exclusively from your paragraph, I feel you will be happier in the coupe. You may be even happier looking a bit more and finding a coupe with the sport package.

Something like this, perhaps:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...03743782&Log=0

Last edited by Ryne; 09-01-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Chop

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coming from a miata, the G will be a good sense of power and luxury. Just like the miata, the G is the best bang for buck in its market, so I'd personally recommend the S coupe for you.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i'm so glad i did my research and got an S coupe.

the big brakes just saved my front end from three deer who decided to wander out in the middle of the road in front of me last night ...
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,564 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
the big brakes just saved my front end from three deer who decided to wander out in the middle of the road in front of me last night ...
Unless you were braking for deer repeatedly over 10 minutes of hard driving...

Glad you're OK, though. Deer are unpredictable and really big animals.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Unless you were braking for deer repeatedly over 10 minutes of hard driving...

Glad you're OK, though. Deer are unpredictable and really big animals.

yeah, mainly for heat dissipation, and stopping distance primarily a function of the tires, but i like to think they helped.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I was out the door on a '13 X sedan w/ 34k mi all options but sport and tech for $24,500 back in April. Sounds like the prices you're seeing are pretty reasonable.

I'm under the impression that the brakes on the '13 coupe would be larger than the sedan despite the sport package.