Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Lease ending, residual is high--any room for negotiation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 PM
perdido34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lease ending, residual is high--any room for negotiation?

I leased a 2013 G37x (sedan with nav, Bose stereo) in May 2013 at a very good monthly rate ($299 + tax)--and then the MSRP for the G37 cars was cut by several thousand dollars. My lease is ending in May 2015. I like the car and I might want to buy it, but the residual was high to begin with, and it's now much more outrageous because of the price cut for identical vehicles. Dealers are selling used cars just like mine now for much less than the lease buyout price I'd have to pay in May.

So how much are dealers (or Infiniti Financial) willing to negotiate on the buyout price at the end of a lease?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by perdido34
So how much are dealers (or Infiniti Financial) willing to negotiate on the buyout price at the end of a lease?
Did you try asking them?

I believe a contract is a contract with no negotiation?

Telcoman
Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
I leased a 2013 G37x (sedan with nav, Bose stereo) in May 2013 at a very good monthly rate ($299 + tax)--and then the MSRP for the G37 cars was cut by several thousand dollars. My lease is ending in May 2015. I like the car and I might want to buy it, but the residual was high to begin with, and it's now much more outrageous because of the price cut for identical vehicles. Dealers are selling used cars just like mine now for much less than the lease buyout price I'd have to pay in May.

If they dont want to negotiate you could return yours and buy one of the ones they are offering
Old 10-31-2014, 11:35 AM
mattreading22

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You will not be able to negotiate the residual because they are set. Your best bet would be to return your vehicle and buy another used one if that is what you want. You could buy it out, but most likely your residual is much higher than what the vehicle is worth, so it doesn't make any sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by mattreading22:
ANMVQ (10-31-2014), telcoman (01-03-2015)
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
They wont negotiate, the residual is inflated so the car leases at a good price, Run like wild fire , My 2011 X Coupe with 31k had a residual of 30k, I ran away from it and watched in sell in NY for 19k :/. The residual is about 10k over what the car is worth.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:34 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
If they won't negotiate (and it sounds like they don't) then walk away and buy a used one for several thousand less. Let them send it to auction and lose money. If they won't negotiate, that's their loss more than yours.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:38 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
IFS owns the car, they wont negotiate. Turn it into the dealer and buy one of there used one. It will be a couple months before your car goes to the Nissan/Infiniti Auction and sells for less than the residual. If your lucky, the same dealer will buy it and sell it for less but thats like wining the lottery.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:51 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
IFS owns the car, they wont negotiate. Turn it into the dealer and buy one of there used one. It will be a couple months before your car goes to the Nissan/Infiniti Auction and sells for less than the residual. If your lucky, the same dealer will buy it and sell it for less but thats like wining the lottery.
This doesn't make any good business sense. If the residual is $30K, but the car sells at auction for like $21K...that's a $9K loss.

Knowing banks, principles are thrown out the window...it's all about money. I know the principle behind not-negotiating, but if it doesn't make good business sense, I can't understand what's going on here.

My numbers may be made up...what's typical on a lease? $299/mo for 39 months? At which point, you've paid only $11,661...on a $40K vehicle.

3 year old G37 with 35K miles are selling for low to mid $20's. There's a discrepancy there...how do they deal with it?

I personally bought my 2011 G37x for $22,900 with 27,880 miles. That was a discounted price from the dealer as they said they had them on the lot too long. It was picked up at auction like all the other leases. What do you suppose the dealer paid for it? And what would the residual have been at the time of turn-in?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure this is correct but the longer a new car sits on the lot are they not paying interest on that until the car is sold? They move a car and hope to make more profit on cars that arent going to sit there that long or people that are fools and pay sticker, add ons etc... Also not sure about the rest of the numbers but anytime a lease is made up they charge a admin fee which is pure profit, anytime a person puts money down that goes towards profit.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:25 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
This doesn't make any good business sense. If the residual is $30K, but the car sells at auction for like $21K...that's a $9K loss.

Knowing banks, principles are thrown out the window...it's all about money. I know the principle behind not-negotiating, but if it doesn't make good business sense, I can't understand what's going on here.

My numbers may be made up...what's typical on a lease? $299/mo for 39 months? At which point, you've paid only $11,661...on a $40K vehicle.

3 year old G37 with 35K miles are selling for low to mid $20's. There's a discrepancy there...how do they deal with it?

I personally bought my 2011 G37x for $22,900 with 27,880 miles. That was a discounted price from the dealer as they said they had them on the lot too long. It was picked up at auction like all the other leases. What do you suppose the dealer paid for it? And what would the residual have been at the time of turn-in?
Might not make sense but thats the reality. The OEMs own the banks that the lease thru. They make the rules. We dont buy the cars for less than the residual. When that residual is higher than what the vehicle is worth, they go to auction. Why pay $4000 more for the car to get it from Infiniti, when we can get it thru there auction 2 months later for $5000 less?

Might not be the case with every other OEM but it is with Infiniti on the G sedans and coupes.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:52 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
Might not make sense but thats the reality. The OEMs own the banks that the lease thru. They make the rules. We dont buy the cars for less than the residual. When that residual is higher than what the vehicle is worth, they go to auction. Why pay $4000 more for the car to get it from Infiniti, when we can get it thru there auction 2 months later for $5000 less?

Might not be the case with every other OEM but it is with Infiniti on the G sedans and coupes.
The exception MIGHT be the G37S. Like I've posted elsewhere - I originally thought the $25.8k buyout was a bit high...but I really can't find any much lower - if at all. 2012 G37S (7at) - prem - nav - @22k miles - Malbec Black - excellent condition (not even any curb rash on the wheels...and Michelin PSS w/about 5k miles on them)

Anyway - it's a dilemma....
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts

As I stated on someone else's lease post, the residual is high due to low lease payments.
If you got a good deal on the original deal, then the residual doesn't matter.
You paid $299 a month, but if you bought it, your payments would have been $399.
Buying out means you need to catch up on the value.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:43 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Easy IFS has INS for lease cars that get turned in. The Insurance covers them from losses on auctioned cars. What I was told by some one at Infiniti.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:30 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Easy IFS has INS for lease cars that get turned in. The Insurance covers them from losses on auctioned cars. What I was told by some one at Infiniti.
And all but the most pristine get auctioned!!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 AM
JRW370
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I asked this question on the front end of my lease and was told the same thing. IFS has insurance that covers the buyout price so they don't need to (will not) negotiate any at the end of the lease. I'm under on mileage and baby the car - need to start taking some Florida vacations with it ASAP!

Quick Reply: Lease ending, residual is high--any room for negotiation?