Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Trading in a car with aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm going to head down to the Chicago area (Highland Park) to look at a 2011 M37 with Premium and Deluxe Touring packages, and aero kit. Slate Blue with stone interior. i think it was just listed a few days ago. Cars with the aero kit already installed are hard to come by and it's got the deluxe touring package that adds the upgraded sound and trim, along with nicer leather and seats etc.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I'm going to head down to the Chicago area (Highland Park) to look at a 2011 M37 with Premium and Deluxe Touring packages, and aero kit. Slate Blue with stone interior. i think it was just listed a few days ago. Cars with the aero kit already installed are hard to come by and it's got the deluxe touring package that adds the upgraded sound and trim, along with nicer leather and seats etc.
Thanks for the heads up! I live in the south suburbs of Chicago, I'll have to head up there and ****** it, lol.

Sounds like a nice car, the aero kit on the M is definitely rare. Post some pics if everything falls in place and you pick it up.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:20 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by Ryne
Thanks for the heads up! I live in the south suburbs of Chicago, I'll have to head up there and ****** it, lol.

Sounds like a nice car, the aero kit on the M is definitely rare. Post some pics if everything falls in place and you pick it up.
I saw you were just south of Chicago so i was hesitant to post it lol. I hope things work out to. I'll definitely start a thread if i do end up getting it.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

I saw you were just south of Chicago so i was hesitant to post it lol. I hope things work out to. I'll definitely start a thread if i do end up getting it.
I'm not in the market, but I was compelled to try and it found it, which I did. Looks like a pretty good deal, the front bumper has a very nice and aggressive look to it. A nice bonus is that a front plate was never installed, so you can go any route you'd like with it.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:19 PM
SwissCheeseHead

I'm not in the market, but I was compelled to try and it found it, which I did. Looks like a pretty good deal, the front bumper has a very nice and aggressive look to it. A nice bonus is that a front plate was never installed, so you can go any route you'd like with it.
Google maps took me that @ss-backwards way to get there. It took us over 3 hrs! (with a 20 min meal stop)

Anyway, there were a lot of imperfections in the paint but they said that they'll send it to the body shop to get everything in good looking order. The car drove great and has the Premium, Deluxe and Technology package! I ended up putting a deposit down on it yesterday
Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Google maps took me that @ss-backwards way to get there. It took us over 3 hrs! (with a 20 min meal stop)

Anyway, there were a lot of imperfections in the paint but they said that they'll send it to the body shop to get everything in good looking order. The car drove great and has the Premium, Deluxe and Technology package! I ended up putting a deposit down on it yesterday
Sounds good! Glad the car was mechanically sound and there were only cosmetic issues. I like the strategy too - make it their problem to fix and you will buy it when they get in in good order.

It always surprises me how many people buy a car like it's a one night stand. Look at it once in the dark, take it home, wake up in the morning and realize what a huge mistake they just made.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Sounds good! Glad the car was mechanically sound and there were only cosmetic issues. I like the strategy too - make it their problem to fix and you will buy it when they get in in good order.

It always surprises me how many people buy a car like it's a one night stand. Look at it once in the dark, take it home, wake up in the morning and realize what a huge mistake they just made.
I'm not expecting a perfect car, but one that will still look gorgeous after a wash and wax, with the expected wear and tear. I can't wait!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

I'm not expecting a perfect car, but one that will still look gorgeous after a wash and wax, with the expected wear and tear. I can't wait!
I just remembered what the topic of this thread was and it made me curious; were you happy with what they offered you for your car?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM
SwissCheeseHead

I haven't taken it in yet. I'll be heading to Carmax this afternoon and hopefully they appraise it well enough where I will sell it to them.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Took it to Carmax and they said that since it had aftermarket wheels, they took off 1K from the final appraisal value of the car. I was ok with it since it would have cost not that much less to buy/trade my current wheels for OEM wheels. I ended up reluctantly selling to Carmax, but I think it's worse only because I didn't drive home with a new car. So I'll be moping about selling the G until I drive home with the M this Thursday. It can't come soon enough...
Old 10-21-2014, 04:31 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Took it to Carmax and they said that since it had aftermarket wheels, they took off 1K from the final appraisal value of the car. I was ok with it since it would have cost not that much less to buy/trade my current wheels for OEM wheels. I ended up reluctantly selling to Carmax, but I think it's worse only because I didn't drive home with a new car. So I'll be moping about selling the G until I drive home with the M this Thursday. It can't come soon enough...
I thought Carmax's quote was good for 7 days. Why not hold onto the car until Thursday?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
What did carmax offer? Every time I've been there they low ball like crazy.. You'll get the M soon enough. Only thing is I would not let the body shop take care of the imperfections..they'll just make things worse and hide all the imperfections and probably even leave buffer trails. I'd see if they would pay for a professional detailer.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by KEG97
I thought Carmax's quote was good for 7 days. Why not hold onto the car until Thursday?
Carmax's quote is good for 7 days. It's just over a 2 hour drive and if the dealership was going to lowball me, then I would have had to make several trips to get the car sold and I don't have the time to do that. I needed the equity from the car to put into the M.

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
What did carmax offer? Every time I've been there they low ball like crazy.. You'll get the M soon enough. Only thing is I would not let the body shop take care of the imperfections..they'll just make things worse and hide all the imperfections and probably even leave buffer trails. I'd see if they would pay for a professional detailer.
What carmax offered was reasonable. There was a little bit of damage done to the front bumper. Nothing that would have totally affected the value, but something that they saw. They took off the $1K for the wheels, which was what I expected, but also took off some more for the damage (which, imo, turned out to be about another $1K, more than I expected). In all, it's because I didn't drive home in the M that I'm feeling a little empty inside lol.

If the body shop doesn't do a good job, I can always walk away from the deal with my deposit.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Also, by selling the car at CarMax, you took out a variable where the dealer can hide money when you go to buy your new car.

Dealers are always looking for places to hide money...
Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Also, by selling the car at CarMax, you took out a variable where the dealer can hide money when you go to buy your new car.

Dealers are always looking for places to hide money...
^^Agreed. I think the movement with dealerships these days is that their advertised price is their "rock bottom" price. It's a crock imo. 3 places (including the one I'm working with now) were not willing to budge very far on their internet advertised price. Which I'm fine with if, given all dealerships were honest, I'd be ok with because I hate haggling. But we all know that's not the case. I think I did end up with a good deal after all is said and done though. If the body work is done well, I think I got away with one.

Quick Reply: Trading in a car with aftermarket wheels